Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked at home this morning, there was no-one else in, so the music was LOUD :cool:

Listened to:

King Crimson - Thrak 5.1 from the dvda. Sounds very good very loud, but then so did the others I played!

Yes - Fragile bluray - the album in 5.1 plus some of the extras. This album has never sounded better, the drums and the bass sound on this are so good. I was also loving the extended We Have Heaven and All Fighters Past. This second song is very enjoyable even though its only 2 and a half minutes long - it starts off rocking away, with parts of The Revealing (music and lyrics) and Siberian Khatru recognisable, and then ends with some superb keyboard and guitar work.

Gentle Giant - Octopus 5.1 bluray. Another great one. I admit I wasn't concentrating that closely, but I really didn't notice any drop in quality with the upmixed tracks :eek:

Opeth - Damnation 5.1 dvd. "Only" a dvd video, so its lossy I know, but it sounds sooooperb (y). I seriously think that this is now my favourite Opeth album.

It's a little unbelievable that as I sit here listening to Thrak in 5.1, wondering when I'll get back to Oranges & Lemons in 5.1 - both of which arrived LAST Friday - that in just three more days I'll have two MORE 5.1 mixes to listen to THIS Friday.

Remember when DVDA died - well, it didn't die, but it became gravely ill - and we all started panicking? And now there are more 5.1 mixes than I can afford!

22156213924_38e4536cbd_c.jpg

I'm absolutely loving Super Session in quad. One of the most discrete sounding SQ matrix discs I've heard.

Ironically - I was just debating getting the SACD 5.1 of that....can't believe I don't have it already.

You will not regret it. I play it almost as often as the two Blood, Sweat & Tears AF SACDs.

Ironically - I was just debating getting the SACD 5.1 of that....can't believe I don't have it already.

I have the AF SACD on order too. So annoyed I missed out on the 5.1 SACD of Child Is Father To The Man when it came out. Now it just seems to sell for astronomical prices.

Last night was 'Steven Wilson Nite' listening to Gentle Giant's Octopus and The Power and the Glory back to back, followed by In the Court of the Crimson King. Loads of fun!

Hmm. So Steven Wilson and I have the same birthday. Funny, his genious isn't shared by me. So much for astrology ;)

Happy Birthday Red! :)

Well I've just received this one and I'm glad I got a good deal for it because I'm giving it the Ziggy Stardust Wet Noodle Award for its sadly criminally limp 5.1 mix. I think this one is another argument against producers of an album being involved with its 5.1 mixes. To have 90% of the band's catalog extremely well done in 5.1 and to come up with this?!? It hurts Man, it really does. Nurse, please increase my dosage! I don't want to feel the pain anymore...

I think the track that gave me some glimmer of hope was Broken. That one fitted more with what had been done with the other albums. Maybe it'll grow on me. Crazier things have happened.

I'm starting to realize that I'm one who really likes his Multichannel mixes like his women, discrete and adventurous! Oh well... (pun intended)

Delta Machine.jpg

Hmm. So Steven Wilson and I have the same birthday. Funny, his genious isn't shared by me. So much for astrology ;)

Oh another charming Scorpio.. you guys are a handful (creatures governed by their loins and their wallets, so the stars say..) but I am strangely drawn to you like moths to the flame.. irresistible but that sting in the tail's a killer.. owwchh..! :yikes ;) :eek:

Oh another charming Scorpio.. you guys are a handful (creatures governed by their loins and their wallets, so the stars say..) but I am strangely drawn to you like moths to the flame.. irresistible but that sting in the tail's a killer.. owwchh..! :yikes ;) :eek:

That sounds SO much like the way my 2 ex wives talk. And not so coincidently, each of them has a loin and half my wallet. One of them even offered to cut me in two with a chain saw on my birthday to count the rings and see how old I was ;) Just kidding! (sort of).

I don't have ADHD, but the recent glut of spectacular surround releases has me reeling. Today I started off with a complete listening of XTC Oranges & Lemons with coffee and a bagel (mit a smear). A trip to the dog park with my trusty aide Layla, was accompanied by Zappa's Roxy - converted to DTS DVD for play on my car's Sony MEX 2200. Now I'm listening/watching King Crimson live in Japan on Blu Ray from the Thrak Box. These are heady days indeed to be a surround-o-naut! Friday, The Beatles - where's my Thorazine???

Back