Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opeth Deliverance DTS DVD. Pretty loud but not brick walled, bass boomy in parts, vocals very dominant, some very nice drum rolls in rears, guitars in rears sound a bit feeble at time, but overall a good mix. There's some things SW would have done better, but it is still enjoyable. I would recommend the Opeth set to all.

Jakko's efforts show how Zappa's Roxy should have been mixed. Two drummers on both discs, Jakko's work infinitely better IMO.

The THRAK band and album is the most unique outrageous animal I've ever heard! Turns out we never truly heard the album/band when originally released.

Hasn't that Roxy DVD only had a lossy release (as far as the surround audio goes)? There was a quad mix done by Frank but they're still sitting on that?
I'm sure it will be the definitive version when/if they release it but it almost certainly will not be an assault on the 5.1 format like the THRAK mix! I've never heard anything else that compares with this presentation.

The THRAK band and album is the most unique outrageous animal I've ever heard! Turns out we never truly heard the album/band when originally released.

Hasn't that Roxy DVD only had a lossy release (as far as the surround audio goes)? There was a quad mix done by Frank but they're still sitting on that?
I'm sure it will be the definitive version when/if they release it but it almost certainly will not be an assault on the 5.1 format like the THRAK mix! I've never heard anything else that compares with this presentation.

Yes, this was Insane...but the three drummer line up is just INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
you HAVE to witness it to fully appreciate it!!!

How are the vocals?

They are Ok...not buried if that's what you wondered...the biggest thing about this concert is the performance itself..the band was kind of awed to be playing in this type of venue and were very professional...it's too bad the price for this blu ray has skyrocketed...and there are a lot of "fake" copies out there for sale...

Long Live The Seatbelts!

SeatbeltsLive.jpg

Okay, so it's only a YouTube download, and it's only stereo, but I was surprised tonight how nicely this upmixes to surround using DPL or whatever (in my case, JRiver JRSS). Sounds pretty good, and seriously this band could just wreck the place. Too bad they're not around anymore.

-- Jim (okay, one more ep of Cowboy Bebop before I hit the sack, heh)

[EDIT] Not included in the above set is "The Real Folk Blues," so here's a link to that. Neither video nor audio are as good as the first link, but good god, is this the coolest song ever or what. Plus, it's fun to hear the audience full of Bebop fans cheering & singing along. :)

Last edited:
Long Live The Seatbelts!

View attachment 23181

Okay, so it's only a YouTube download, and it's only stereo, but I was surprised tonight how nicely this upmixes to surround using DPL or whatever (in my case, JRiver JRSS). Sounds pretty good, and seriously this band could just wreck the place. Too bad they're not around anymore.

-- Jim (okay, one more ep of Cowboy Bebop before I hit the sack, heh)

[EDIT] Not included in the above set is "The Real Folk Blues," so here's a link to that. Neither video nor audio are as good as the first link, but good god, is this the coolest song ever or what. Plus, it's fun to hear the audience full of Bebop fans cheering & singing along. :)

Hmm - never heard of them...

Beatles-Love...I had just finished listening to the "blue" album(1967-1970) on SHM-CD and LOVE just crushes it...and it's actually pretty good for a CD...I'll start on Anthology in the next few days.....and I have yet to finish THE MCCARTNEY YEARS DVD's...so much music so little time..

Currently listening to DTS 5.1 DVD Music for Montserrat. Not the sonically most pleasing piece of surround sound music but the selection of music is very nice and the host of musicians on stage for Golden Slumbers and Hey Jude is memorable! Phil Collins on drums, Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton on guitar (with others), Elton John and Paul McCartney on piano, Jimmy Buffet, Sting, etc! This is a recommended DVD if not only to see all of these super artists on stage together. Even if Paul McCartney does not know all the words to Kansas City. :D

Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock N'Roll - the 5 songs from the Steven Wilson remix of the album in surround.

I couldn't listen too closely, my 3 year old daughter wouldn't stop playing, how dare she!! But what I heard sounded good and clear as usual in this series. And another accompanying sumptuous fat book to flick through and eventually read, and eventually find room for :violin

Fragile/Yes.

No other word for it, its EMBARRASSING how superior SW's surround is to the old DVD-A in every respect.. mixing, mastering, the whole kit and caboodle, the detail that the new remixes bring out is awe-inspiring, by stark contrast instruments sound lifelike and natural and not massacred by the processed reverb-laden fucked around with to death nonsense of the old 5.1 .. and of course instrument placement within the surround sound field is impeccable, the lightness of touch and feel for the music employed by SW time and again with his remix work is quite something to witness, for me he is actually better at this lark now than my hero Scheiner (and that almost hurts I love that guy's best urround stuff SO much) ...one listen to the new remixes makes you realise just what an abomination that old DVD-A mix was.. I certainly won't be playing it ever again having compared the two this morning.. it had been a while since I played the DVD-A in all honesty but that chap shouldn't be let near a surround mix project again imho.. I'd rather they scrap his Fish Out Of Water 5.1 and redo it with SW at the helm.

(Edit: ..and I'll add I used to enjoy and defend that old DVD-A surround mix.. now that's also pretty embarrassing! :eek: )

Back