Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't listened to this one in ages. (Hat tip to @RustyStatic.) What a great mid-career retrospective of a giant of Brazilian music! And the mixes are even better than I remembered--very active & imaginative. We need more classic MPB in surround, and this one, in particular, is ripe for an Atmos upgrade. C'mon UMG Brazil--what are you waiting for? Some good discussion in this thread.

1709660653885.png

Last edited:
i absolutely love the Phoebe Snow Quad! 💘

it's a shame it was only ever released on SQ vinyl as the Quad when decoded from 360 Reality Audio is so discrete and in that form it becomes all too apparent the intricacies and delicacy of the mix were all really rather lost on the vagueries of SQ.

ah well.. maybe DV can do it justice at last and remaster it on SACD so another lovely old Quad can be free of it's SQ shackles and 360RA lossy limitations..! 🙏🤞

i absolutely love the Phoebe Snow Quad! 💘

it's a shame it was only ever released on SQ vinyl as the Quad when decoded from 360 Reality Audio is so discrete and in that form it becomes all too apparent the intricacies and delicacy of the mix were all really rather lost on the vagueries of SQ.

ah well.. maybe DV can do it justice at last and remaster it on SACD so another lovely old Quad can be free of it's SQ shackles and 360RA lossy limitations..! 🙏🤞
Fredblue, I couldn't agree with you more. These files have been cleaned up, but when you do a side by side "Pepsi" challenge with a Michael Dutton Vocalion SACD, it's like coming out of the dark ages. ;) Fingers crossed!

One of the releases to score at least one vote for each possible poll rating. I dig this one much more than the overall rating reflects. Glad i found it for a reasonable price and glad i decided to absolutely CRANK it today! ALL cowbell, ALL the time! The SACD's sonics are GREAT!
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.22.59 PM.png
6.26 on our poll
thread

Last edited:
Beat Kaestli INVITATION [Chesky Records/hybrid Multi~CH SACD] Swiss Born Beat Kaestli whose voice is reminiscent of jazz trumpeter Chet Baker and Kenny Rankin breathes new life into 9 classic tracks with wonderful articulation and conviction which renders them anew! Recorded in St. Peter's Church in Chelsea, Chesky's minimalist mike technique captures every nuance faithfully and on my new system sounds absolutely extraordinary. Backing musicians include Jay Leonhart on bass, Billy Drummond, drums, Paul Meyers, guitar, Joel Frahm, saxophone and Kenny Rampton on Trumpet. A Very High Recommendation

https://www.discogs.com/release/11769380-Beat-Kaestli-Invitation

Primary
Secondary, 2 of 11

Back