Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diana Krall-The Girl In The Other Room SACD

20170113_181055.jpg

Ten Years Later live Alvin and his new band. DD 5.1

Too bad it's such a short live performance. :rolleyes: I'm used to something much longer like the concerts TYA did when I saw them back in the early 70's.-twice (y)

20170113_181006.jpg

Today I'm in a heavy mood, so:
Metallica - Metallica (DVDA) - quite good surround mix, heavyly (is that even a word?) compressed, but in this case it fits the music
Stratovarius - Elements Part 1&2 (DVD) - surround mix is ok (dolby only, though), some music good some not so...
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Prometheus (BRA), killer sound, killer mix (dolby atmos), good music
and
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (BRA) -I know, not exactly heavy metal, but hey, I must have waited all my life for this moment

Blood Sweat and Tears SACD.....Speakers (all floor standing) set to large using Oppo 105 analogue out to individual analogue channel inputs to old but smooth Denon amp, large glass of red....excellent!!

Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time DVD-A, needed some space rock. Primed for this with the Moody's TOCCC SACD, wish I had some Sabbath in surround.

Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time DVD-A, needed some space rock. Primed for this with the Moody's TOCCC SACD, wish I had some Sabbath in surround.

Oh boy.....if you only knew how many times on this forum I've pined for some Sabbath...in surround. No, not the Quad of Paranoid that really isn't that good....but some properly done surround. :violin

If Wilson can take a band like Hawkwind and make that work, he could absolutely KILL it with Sabbath. :yikes

Oh boy.....if you only knew how many times on this forum I've pined for some Sabbath...in surround. No, not the Quad of Paranoid that really isn't that good....but some properly done surround. :violin

If Wilson can take a band like Hawkwind and make that work, he could absolutely KILL it with Sabbath. :yikes

In my humble opinion the QUAD mix is superb, demo quality. :D
But the sound overall lacks the punch of the CD-4 disc, a proper transfer to blu-ray or DVDA might fix the poor sound.

In my humble opinion the QUAD mix is superb, demo quality. :D
But the sound overall lacks the punch of the CD-4 disc, a proper transfer to blu-ray or DVDA might fix the poor sound.

Oh, I'm probably being too hard on it. I've heard all the iterations of it...including the QR. They are worlds better than the poor DVD-A floating around...which I have too. Probably I'm biased with steve wilson.

Hey Spock - I notice your Foobar always has the left pane with pictures. How do you access your library? Do you have to click on menu down below and go that route?

Yes, I go through the menu button.

I like the Elvis dvd-audio - the first half of the songs have an OK surround mix, the rest not so much. But all the songs sound great.

Last nite's playlist :

Roy Orbison-A Black And White Night DVD-DTS (and DVDA) edition

XTC-Skylarking BLU-RAY

Mike Keneally-Sluggo ! DVDA

:D

Listened to ROY'S Dvd in DTS while vacuuming ! OI.!! ! That'll test your soundfield.

Back