Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boz Scaggs - Dig - DVDA [E.S. (meaning excellent surroundmix ... wait, or was it Elliot Scheiner? seems to be the same, anyway.]
Djabe - Take On - [DualDisc DVDA & DVDV decent surroundmix, excellent value for my money]
Uli Jon Roth - Tokyo Tapes Revisited - Live in Japan [DVD, just Dolby 5.1, not much going on surroundwise, but boy, can he play guitar! Saw him about 40 years ago with the Scorpions, and he's gotten better ever since}

Sometimes I feel that my FLAC rips play even better than the source and this is the prime example. Yep, it's not the Queen, Gabriel or Macca level but this video collection isn't far behind. "And you, you play bass. You do it!"

Boz Scaggs - Dig - DVDA [E.S. (meaning excellent surroundmix ... wait, or was it Elliot Scheiner? seems to be the same, anyway.]
Djabe - Take On - [DualDisc DVDA & DVDV decent surroundmix, excellent value for my money]
Uli Jon Roth - Tokyo Tapes Revisited - Live in Japan [DVD, just Dolby 5.1, not much going on surroundwise, but boy, can he play guitar! Saw him about 40 years ago with the Scorpions, and he's gotten better ever since}

To me, Uli is severely underrated...or maybe it's just that no one knows him. Always loved his bluesy, psychedelic tinged playing style. :banana:

Sting Ten Summoner's Tales. DTS CD

Couple a good hit tunes on this surround masterwork .

But I kinda like "Saint Augustine In Hell " as a very good demo track for surround . The narrator's voice in the last part circles in your system speakers. (y)

20170513_181815.jpg20170513_181937.jpg

R.E.M. "Around The Sun" DVD-A- Wasn't familiar with any of these tunes, mostly kind of mature/somber, but I really enjoy the first 2 and last 2 songs (Leaving New York, Electron Blue, The Ascent Of Man, Around The Sun)

Is there discrete rear activity on this one?

It's a mixed bag.

To be honest, I'm the biggest inxs fan on the planet and I found the result underwhelming. I may have to revisit these. My expectation may have been a bit high.

It's a mixed bag.

To be honest, I'm the biggest inxs fan on the planet and I found the result underwhelming. I may have to revisit these. My expectation may have been a bit high.

I got on a huge INXS binge two weeks ago adding what they had from HDTracks, ordering and watching the great movie, Never Tear Us Apart. I am waiting on DVD Live Baby Live and I'm Only Looking.
51SzYmLtDJL._SY180_.jpgINXS.jpg

I remember them talking a lot about this release in the movie. Thanks for the tip, expensive OOP RBCD. Used, very good $14.98.

It's well worth it.

Bono sings the verses of an unfinished songs that just had Micheal singing the chorus with Gail-Ann Dorsey. It's a bit spooky.

This morning's random playlist:

The Moody Blues "Tuesday Afternoon/ Evening A Time To Get Away" (Days Of Future Passed DTS CD... I like the mixes better than the SACD)
The Moody Blues "Procession/The Story In Your Eyes" (To Our Children's etc SACD...I love their take on the evolution of music!)
R.E.M. "It's The End Of The World..." (Document DVD-A)
The Doors "Riders On The Storm" (Best of Doors Quad SACD... whisper to me, Jim)
Simon & Garfunkel "The Boxer" (Bridge Over Troubled Water QR)
Opeth "A Fair Judgement" (Deliverance DTS DVD)
Hootie & The Blowfish "Let Her Cry" (Cracked Rear View DVD-A)
Jethro Tull "To Cry You A Song" (Benefit DTS DVD)
Jeff Beck "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" (Blow By Blow Japan Quad SACD)
Beck Bogert Appice "Black Cat Moan" (Beck Bogert Appice SACD)
Anthony Phillips "Henry Portraits From Tudor Times" (The Geese & The Ghost DVD-A... this suite is fantastic!)

Is there discrete rear activity on this one?
Definitely. There's 25 songs on the disc 1 of the 2DVD-set and half of these have vocals, guitars or additional instruments placed in the rears (I rate these 4 or 5 stars). While the mix is hardly superdiscrete, it's not wide-stage blend like Tom Petty BD-As either. It just works and gels well - the better mixes on the Nick Cave reissue series come to mind. Overall, my only complaint would be the 48/24 dts resolution, as the recording sometimes comes over a little bit hairy sounding. Oh and there are another ten songs in surround on disc 2, not bad either.

That will not happen for two reasons:
1) The Paul Simon Quadraphonic mixes (along with "Bridge Over Troubled Waters") are owned by Sony, not Warner/Rhino, so therefore, the latter label would not be able to release these mixes in a Quadio style set.
2) Paul Simon has denied the requests of Audio Fidelity (and similar labels) to reissue these Quadraphonic mixes on modern-day formats.

Shame… :(

Actually, Paul Simon owns the rights to his solo albums that were originally released on Columbia, and Warners have been releasing them on CD since the mid 80's. If you look at the CD cases for any of them they say (C) & (P) Paul Simon which means he retains both the copyright and phonographic copyright to the albums.

So if Rhino wanted to do a Paul Simon quadio set the only thing they'd need was his approval.

Actually, Paul Simon owns the rights to his solo albums that were originally released on Columbia, and Warners have been releasing them on CD since the mid 80's. If you look at the CD cases for any of them they say (C) & (P) Paul Simon which means he retains both the copyright and phonographic copyright to the albums.

So if Rhino wanted to do a Paul Simon quadio set the only thing they'd need was his approval.

I changed 'owned' in my original post to 'distributed' because you are right that Paul Simon owns those recordings, but they are being distributed by Sony again, not Warners.

KCpCrWg.jpg

My first listen to Widespread Panic - not only great rock music - but a nice surround dvd-a too. I prefer it with a press on the +3 dB rears button on the remote.

Can't wait for the other WP surround disc I ordered.

Back