Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! I'm not alone in thinking it's perhaps the jewel of the Pentatone Deutsche Grammophon remasterings. Kind of crazy to think that they made a quad master of every recording they made from 1970-1976 (some 400+ records), and none ever saw the light of day except for a few test pressings. And the recordings they made in Boston in particular are quite adventurous with the use of discrete information in the rear channels.

So is that a Thomas Mowery mix in quad ?

You might say he's the Elliot Scheiner of Classical music .(y)

image.jpg

How can you be a band as big as Rush and miss tapes?! :mad:@:

I know, roight?! I think sometimes accidents happened, even for tapes from the biggest bands. Like a fire or flood at the storage facility. But also, there could be apathy sometimes.
They have made and LP, dubbed a tape and pressed a CD. Then the album doesn't sell well, like Grace Under Pressure. What more use could the stereo master or multitracks possibly be, right? It's crazy, those albums mean a lot to us fans, but not necessarily as much to those in the industry.

Thanks, you've convinced me to jump on the bandwagon. Just ordered these titles (Berlioz and Ravel).

What other Boston Quads would you recommend?

"Kind of crazy" :mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

Now that's an understatement if I've ever heard one. LOL!!!

But oh well, what's the use. :p

Yes, the Boston Quad recordings are particularly delightful... the Ravel/Ozawa recording comes to mind.

Last edited:
Some of the Live From Austin TX dvds, that I've ordered, are beginning to arrive to my mailbox.

cMbrvTD.jpg

The concert is from 1987, the dvd+cd says 2012 Remaster, believe it came out first in 2005. Not the best picture quality, 4:3 typically tv-quality from that time.

But the sound is very good, nice bass and details in dts 5.1 - and yes it's discrete :banana:

Mr Cash does a great perfomance - and Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down is on the playlist :smokin

Thanks, you've convinced me to jump on the bandwagon. Just ordered these titles (Berlioz and Ravel).

The Michael Tilson Thomas recording of the Rite of Spring is also an excellent performance, although I need to relisten to see just how discrete it is. I also have their new release of Bartok arriving in the next few days, which I have high hopes for.

Sibelius: symphonies 5 & 7 - Colin Davis
Stravinsky: Le Roi des Étolies/Le Sacre du Printemps - Michael Tilson Thomas (same as Ubertrout's recommendation above)
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture - Colin Davis

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - Ozawa is also good. But I would first go for Colin Davis's wonderful Quad recording of this same piece with the Concertgebouw Orchestra since it has also been released on SACD by PentaTone.

To make sure I have the correct version... are these right? I couldn't find a remaster of the Tchaikovsky and Sibelius.

Thanks,
Steve

Sibelius: symphonies 5 & 7 - Colin Davis
Stravinsky: Le Roi des Étolies/Le Sacre du Printemps - Michael Tilson Thomas (same as Ubertrout's recommendation above)
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture - Colin Davis

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - Ozawa is also good. But I would first go for Colin Davis's wonderful Quad recording of this same piece with the Concertgebouw Orchestra since it has also been released on SACD by PentaTone.

To make sure I have the correct version... are these right? I couldn't find a remaster of the Tchaikovsky and Sibelius.

Thanks,
Steve

Those are the right ones. The ones with the older cover design are sourced from Philips recordings and aren't as discrete in their use of the rear channels, but the performances are excellent. The same caveat applies to the Berlioz Requiem, the first piece written for quad (in 1837 - he called for four brass choirs in the Dies Irae, placed in the four corners of the space), where the Philips recording doesn't put the Cannons around the room properly.

516ESjai0qL.jpg

Note that the Abravanel from around the same time does use all four channels properly, replicated on DVD-Audio and SACD in various versions from a Vanguard recording.

5132Y92X0KL.jpg

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, by the way...I think because there's a lot of quad classical transfers there's curiosity when someone mentions playing one, because it can be hard to know which ones to pursue.

Many thanks for the sidetrack. This is once again very helpful. As primarily a rock/folk listener I struggle with the broad range of classical titles, and appreciate the help from those with experience. I suspect I'm not alone in this :)

I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, by the way...I think because there's a lot of quad classical transfers there's curiosity when someone mentions playing one, because it can be hard to know which ones to pursue.

AWB - Average White Band (Q8)

finally getting to hear it in truly discrete Quad --- at last! :yikes
(I acquired a DTS copy a number of years ago, from a CD-4 and not a very good one tbh, it sounds like it was in better nick than mine but they got the channels screwed up, actual separation not great, I think their demodulator was working even less well than my JVC.. and then the last wee while been fiddle farting about with my own copy of the CD-4 with varying carts and demodulators, with equally varying results, still pretty unsatisfactory.. fast forward like 10 years or something and woo hoo, thanks to the humble eight track >> THIS is how the Quad mix is really supposed to sound!!)

its banana time! :banana:

Its an album and band which I think are over looked these days, and I listened to on Monday!

AWB - Average White Band (Q8)

finally getting to hear it in truly discrete Quad --- at last! :yikes
(I acquired a DTS copy a number of years ago, from a CD-4 and not a very good one tbh, it sounds like it was in better nick than mine but they got the channels screwed up, actual separation not great, I think their demodulator was working even less well than my JVC.. and then the last wee while been fiddle farting about with my own copy of the CD-4 with varying carts and demodulators, with equally varying results, still pretty unsatisfactory.. fast forward like 10 years or something and woo hoo, thanks to the humble eight track >> THIS is how the Quad mix is really supposed to sound!!)

its banana time! :banana:

Many thanks for the sidetrack. This is once again very helpful. As primarily a rock/folk listener I struggle with the broad range of classical titles, and appreciate the help from those with experience. I suspect I'm not alone in this :)

If you don't mind another side track, you might like Rossini's Overtures conducted by Neville Marriner (who passed away last October). The disc has some fun, light orchestral pieces that are beautifully performed. The Quad recording isn't wildly discrete but has a nice immersive quality. Definitely worth exploring IMHO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9051861060?ref_=mw_olp_product_details

Back