Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R.E.M. - Green DVD-A

R-2069222-1262196540.jpeg.jpg

R.E.M. - Best of DVD-A

R-2243998-1271961903.jpeg.jpg

I miss Tom Petty, I miss my Dog, I miss the the Las Vegas 59, I miss the Vietnam 59,000++ (USA), 2 million (Vietnam)

I miss...........

Humanity

The newly released Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite Blu-ray in LPCM 5.1, a great surround mix, I'm loving the Drums going round me clockwise on Nothing At All and the interesting videos particularly the exploding Teddy Bears!

s6Cn78E.jpg

photo of the Top Menu.

Isn't Copeland great!! I couldn't find the disc you reference, do you have a link?

If you like that one, then here's another Copeland to blow you away. The clearest and most realistic orchestral recording I've ever heard. Not that I'm an expert, but it sure works for me!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3ISIFY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Naxos is an excellent version as well (I've got that one)... while they're both ambiance in the rears, the Bernstein seems much more lively to me, though. Also, with the Bernstein, you get "Billy The Kid" which is fantastic. I'll see if I can find it for you (it's OOP).

The Allman Brothers-Idlewild South in DTS HD MA 5.1 from the Bluray[Please Call Home is on now]

one of the most wanted MCH by ProgHeads which we should thank our lucky stars, that we did not only get it , it was a SW MIX on BD 96/24!!!

Yes, there IS a Santa Claus...

Who'd have thunk about 10 years ago?

:smokin

R-9170167-1482247600-8274.jpeg.jpg

I was listening to "Hypnotic Eye" in the car on the way home. "Shadow People" came on and I turned it almost all the way up. Great tune, and when it gets real mellow in the instrumental middle, before the blistering guitar solo leaps out at you, the surround shines through. Killer song, decent mix, great album - sad mood listening today.

Steven Wilson - To the Bone (Blu-ray)

Every time I play this I like it more, what an enjoyable album!

91iacSq64JL._SL400_.jpg

Rachmaninov - Piano Concertos 1 & 2 (Leif Ove Andsnes & Berliner Philharmoniker, EMI DVD-V) - Very enjoyable (especially Concerto 2... not sure if I've heard it before, but I've read that it's been used extensively in movies and television shows). Ambiance in rear channels.

Debussy - La Mer, Nocturnes (Martinon, French National Radio Orchestra, DTS CD) - I'm loving this; very theatrical (as in similar to a movie score); DISCRETE activity in rear channels!

Some say John Williams may have been influenced by these works... I can hear "Close Encounters" in Nocturnes - Sirenes and "Jaws" in La Mer - Dialogue du Vent et de la Mer.

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons and Concertos For Double Orchestra DVD-A (Juritz, London Mozart Players, Naxos) - Excellent classical surround sound; the mix on the concertos alternates between emphasizing the orchestra in front and the one in the rears. DISCRETE.(y)

Holst - The Planets DVD-A (Previn-London symphony Orchestra, EMI) Just starting this one, but man, the beginning of "Mars" sounds just like the tractor beam scene from "Star Wars: A New Hope". I guess John Williams was a master at re-working famous classical pieces for his scores (or maybe he was just "Heavily Influenced"). Nice "Wide Soundstage" type mix.

"Jupiter" must have been the inspiration for "The Orgy" (and other music) in the film "Conan The Barbarian"... so cool (I love that score!)

The Lord Of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring DVD-A - This is my favorite motion picture score of all time. This presentation is "Discrete at times" (not just a wide soundstage). A "must have" if you're a LOTR/surround fan (if you can find it). Now on to my next disc... as soon as I finish 10 more hours of LOTR score!

Black Sabbath Paranoid. 5.1 DTS 48Khz. Listening at 79.5 db, what's not to like. I could listen to this all day long, a little thin in 5.1 but at this volume it's OK. War Pigs, after just watching Ken Burns Vietnam all I can think of is the three War Pigs, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon.

Black Sabbath Paranoid. 5.1 DTS 48Khz. Listening at 79.5 db, what's not to like. I could listen to this all day long, a little thin in 5.1 but at this volume it's OK. War Pigs, after just watching Ken Burns Vietnam all I can think of is the three War Pigs, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon.

Not bad but the reel transfer puts it to shame IMO. Why a cd-4 transfer was used instead of that is anyone's guess

Holst - The Planets DVD-A (Previn-London symphony Orchestra, EMI) Just starting this one, but man, the beginning of "Mars" sounds just like the tractor beam scene from "Star Wars: A New Hope". I guess John Williams was a master at re-working famous classical pieces for his scores (or maybe he was just "Heavily Influenced"). Nice "Wide Soundstage" type mix.

"Jupiter" must have been the inspiration for "The Orgy" (and other music) in the film "Conan The Barbarian"... so cool (I love that score!)

Holst's "Planets" was also effectively used in the film "The Right Stuff" (1983). And if you are a pipe organ fan, definitely check out Hansjörg Albrecht's performance on Oehms Classics SACD.

http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=7536#reviews

Back