Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

I'd love to hear Fellowship in surround. Great music. I've searched for months for a copy at a reasonable price. It's astronomical!

I have Return of the King on DVD-A, and it is excellent!

The Lord Of the Rings- The Fellowship of the Ring DVD-A - This is my favorite motion picture score of all time. This presentation is "Discrete at times" (not just a wide soundstage). A "must have" if you're a LOTR/surround fan (if you can find it). Now on to my next disc... as soon as I finish 10 more hours of LOTR score!

The Doors in "192 ".

20171004_172913.jpg

I think I'll have to buy that movie now. It will be the only way to hear some Vangelis in 5.1 .:D

One day.......hopefully the T.D. albums will get released in surround. I know they have a few DD 5.1 Concerts, though.

I have that anniversary Pheadra Live in DD 5.1 . Not too bad .(y)

And I used to have 2 tracks in DTS from some album( ? ) provided on a Test DVD but lost it when I borrowed it out .

I picked up the Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 - London DVD the other day. The surround mix is mostly ambient with crowd cheers in the rear channels. At first I thought this one wasn't too bad, either...as the heavy front soundstage seemed to be opened up a bit. But, then I put on the Depeche Mode SACD and the difference in the quality of the surround mix was night and day. It's too bad Edgar Frose never embraced surround.

Nice!

I'd love to hear Fellowship in surround. Great music. I've searched for months for a copy at a reasonable price. It's astronomical!

I have Return of the King on DVD-A, and it is excellent!

One of my movie channels is showing the LOTR trilogy this weekend. I haven't seen these in a while, I'll have to get a good ale. It comes in pints :brew

I picked up the Phaedra Farewell Tour 2014 - London DVD the other day. The surround mix is mostly ambient with crowd cheers in the rear channels. At first I thought this one wasn't too bad, either...as the heavy front soundstage seemed to be opened up a bit. But, then I put on the Depeche Mode SACD and the difference in the quality of the surround mix was night and day. It's too bad Edgar Frose never embraced surround.

Yes too bad indeed . One can only hope---- his estate-via his Son can push for some Studio Surround of Tangerine Dream Albums.

I believe he plays on that Phaedra anniversary dvd.

FWIW :
Aside from the live T.D. concerts in D.D. there are 3 quad encoded studio albums , ZEIT,ALPHA CENTAURI ,and ATEM ,plus I think "Encore " which is live ,sounds great in SQ QUAD , and T.D.-DESTINATION BERLIN is an interesting disc which utilized something similar to Dolby Surround.

Also , Edgar Froese-Aqua is encoded in a binaural type of surround.

Just listened to Dam the Torpedoes and Mojo BDs last nite myself!
Tonight its Hypnotic Eye in 5.1 forget I had bought it and almost purchased it again.

I found my original vinyl of his second one Youre gonna get it...that's going on my turntable for some synthesized surround ;)

they need to release his greatest hits in 96/24 MCH...especially "Stop draggin' my heart around " ALWAYS LOVED that song!!!!

Lars Samuelsson, Dance Party......a 1973 Swedish QS disc. Actually this one would fit right in with D-V releases....easy listening versions of current hits with some real quadio effects added. Where's the poll on this? ????

I'd suggest watching it on Blu-Ray instead. 24/48 6.1 surround is going to blow away whatever the broadcast channel has it as.

It's funny over here. The big TV & Satellite broadcast companies in Japan do a pretty good job of utilizing the latest HD & 5.1 surround versions of films, concerts, documentaries, EVEN sports!!! So, OBVIOUSLY many Japanese have surround AV systems in their homes. But... when it comes to "audio only" music... uggggggh! :confused: :confused: :confused:

FWIW :
Aside from the live T.D. concerts in D.D. there are 3 quad encoded studio albums , ZEIT,ALPHA CENTAURI ,and ATEM ,plus I think "Encore " which is live ,sounds great in SQ QUAD , and T.D.-DESTINATION BERLIN is an interesting disc which utilized something similar to Dolby Surround.

Also , Edgar Froese-Aqua is encoded in a binaural type of surround.

Thanks! So far the most satisfying way I have of listening to their music is on Japanese stereo SHM-SACDs, which sound pretty good in DPL-II. Yeah, I know....depressing LOL! :yikes

Inception Blu-ray, the Special Features disc 5.1 Soundtrack Selections From Hans Zimmer's Versatile Score DTS-HD MA 5.1 48k(?): fairly standard movie surround with plenty of low end and mostly gentle use of the surrounds though with the occasional well used room sweep and a nice call and answer effect at times. Kind of like the Mombasa a bit more this evening, seems to improve with extended listening.

It's funny over here. The big TV & Satellite broadcast companies in Japan do a pretty good job of utilizing the latest HD & 5.1 surround versions of films, concerts, documentaries, EVEN sports!!! So, OBVIOUSLY many Japanese have surround AV systems in their homes. But... when it comes to "audio only" music... uggggggh! :confused: :confused: :confused:

So, it will still be totally fun in broadcast HD and 5.1 DD or DD+, but as I understand it no-one really broadcasts with an audio bitrate of over 640k or so, in the US or Japan. So still surround, but low-fi.

No noise complaints so far, it's still early here: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes; DTS-HD MA 5.1 96k Blu, missing someone, loving the bonus tracks. i think I failed to appreciate Mr. Petty in his time, "wildflowers" is so good but the hi res surround puts his music over the top.

Back