Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mucked about with these two from REM last nite.

REM-UP DVDA

REM-NEW ADVENTURES IN HIFI. DVDA

20171202_180257.jpg

Djabe & Steve Hackett: Life Is A Journey: The Sardinia Tapes DTS 96/24 5.1 and LPCM 96/24 Stereo. Includes a RBCD.

This special album was recorded onto 24 track analogue tape by Steve Hackett's longtime recording engineer Ben Fenner and sounds awesome. Very jazzy and great discrete use of the surrounds.

The DVD also includes a live 5 track set recorded at the Budapest Jazz Club in June of 2017 featuring Steve Hackett and Djabe.

The Sound Of Music Q8 conversion- Didn't know this existed until today... nice surround mix. I love Julie Andrews' voice; the choir tracks sound fantastic. I'd love to hear this one in Hi-rez!

I missed out on this disc when it first came out. Went OOP really quick.

So happy Esoteric and Tony ok'd a second edition. A lovely sounding dvd in surround from one of Genesis' major players.

Tony Banks-A Curious Feeling. DVD-DTS

20171202_180134.jpg

At long last: the Black Sea

I've had the stereo on repeat for almost two weeks, so this is the first XTC disc that I feel like I really know. Just as I hoped, knowing the stereo first makes SW's brilliant work on the surround mix even more fulfilling. It's not quite as wacky as D&W, but still retains the crazy energy that makes that album fun. Before I thought for sure I was in the camp that preferred later, in-studio only XTC...now I may prefer earlier, live XTC.

Sounds fantastic even through my crappy creative speaker set.

Back