Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDRpFMn.jpg

This is a great disc, all those great old songs in excellent surround and fidelty!

One of my favorites(y)

e2d9bcac9cc689bb519538a02d3726e4.jpg

Hell Yeah! I found a modification for darkone skin on Foobar that works better with 4K TVs and higher resolution laptops. !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should be hooking up my new AVR.....but I'm feeling sentimental....giving props to my good 'ole AVRX4000....she has done me proud. lmao

Listening to Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade....QUAD. I just can't believe how much I love this disc. Truly one of my favorites. Los Angelinos is a great song. Oh, and I'm sort of smitten with the new look SKIN on foobar...someone finally came out of the cellar and updated Darkone to work better with 4K and higher resolution laptops...LIKE MINE!!! Now I'm wondering if some of the weirdness with fonts was an incompatibility between my Dell and the Darkone skin... :yikes

A friend of mine's birthday was last week and I'm having him and some friends over tonight. He requested to listen to some Pink Floyd. It happens to be that "Dark Side of the Moon" was released 45 years ago this week (March 1, 1973). Guess what I'm going to be listening to tonight? I'll give you a hint: James Guthrie had no involvement in its production.

I should be hooking up my new AVR.....but I'm feeling sentimental....giving props to my good 'ole AVRX4000....she has done me proud. lmao

Listening to Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade....QUAD. I just can't believe how much I love this disc. Truly one of my favorites. Los Angelinos is a great song. Oh, and I'm sort of smitten with the new look SKIN on foobar...someone finally came out of the cellar and updated Darkone to work better with 4K and higher resolution laptops...LIKE MINE!!! Now I'm wondering if some of the weirdness with fonts was an incompatibility between my Dell and the Darkone skin... :yikes

I'm wondering if it's you being sentimental...or just not wanting to set up the new equipment...or maybe the Atmos speakers haven't arrived yet...I wonder if you have a tripod...that's what I used to set up Audyssey...but this one has 8 points of reference!...you can stop at 3....I got fired up watching this video clip

[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=setting+up+denon+avr-x4400h&qpvt=setting+up+denon+avr-x4400h&view=detail&mid=30D6E401EF3ACC4939F530D6E401EF3ACC4939F5&&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

I'm wondering if it's you being sentimental...or just not wanting to set up the new equipment...or maybe the Atmos speakers haven't arrived yet...I wonder if you have a tripod...that's what I used to set up Audyssey...but this one has 8 points of reference!...you can stop at 3....I got fired up watching this video clip

[video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=setting+up+denon+avr-x4400h&qpvt=setting+up+denon+avr-x4400h&view=detail&mid=30D6E401EF3ACC4939F530D6E401EF3ACC4939F5&&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

speakers just arrived...so now I need to get on with it while it's daylight. I started moving things out of the room last night....now I need to roll my shelf out and start unplugging stuff. Good thing is..and I mean...REALLY GOOD...is I will set my new AVR directly above my old one and just move 1 thing at a time. Easy really....but then comes the Audyssey thing. Yes, I have a tripod from my old 35mm camera days. It will work just fine for this.

Lord my surround collection has suffered in recent years, but I've been collecting more as I can.
Anyway I've started trying to build my surround collection again, and have been collecting anything Steven Wilson that I can.
I now have in 5.1 DVD-A;
Fear of a Blank Planet
Deadwing
In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun
Stupid Dream
The Incident
Grace For Drowning
Insurgentes

In BD 5.1 (haven't listened to yet)
4 1/2
To The Bone

Today I'm on the second (for the day tht is) listen of Deadwing. Much of his music just fits my old head space perfectly...I can get up and fly again. :yikes

A pleasure to see and hear the man play, he has stage presence, discipline. DTS 5.1 48k DVD Video, Eric Johnson Live From Austin TX

The Doobie Brothers - Live At Wolf Trap on BD-V in 5.1. This is an awesome concert, every Doobies fan should own it. Sounds fantastic and the blacks look sweet on the new OLED tv...

The Painter - Paul Anka (Quad)

a 'late era' Quad (and United Artists' only QS-encoded Quad LP release) from 1976
that never gets talked about by Quaddies online.. and blow me down but I've enjoyed it so much while recording in the Surround Master decode that i'm playing it all over again for the 2nd time in quick succession!

stylistically it comprises a number of real stonking powerhouse ballads, that he really belts out with all his heart (and lungs! ..far be it for little old nobody me to critique a legend.. but at times it feels like he may be "oversinging" a tad or rather overreaching himself/his vocal range, if you know what i mean :eek: but bloody hell does he give the tunes his all..! ) among all the big belting of the 'get yer lighters out' type singalong numbers there are a couple of deceiving songs that start slow and sultry but surprisingly turn into fun and funky toe-tapping uptempo numbers!

its almost worth checking out this album for his backing band if nothing else! the liners credit a veritable who's who of the creme de la creme of 70's session musicians; including Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Dean Parks, Jay Graydon, Joe Sample, Jim Gordon, Jim Horn... and the talent backing him is most evident throughout.

there's a rather neat use of the opening track ("you bring out the best in me")
with its catchy refrain used throughout the album, both during an instrumental track partway through and in a nifty reprise at the very end.

"you bring out the best in me, you do..."

:music

Paul Anka! My wife would love to hear him in quad...

We saw Anka in Vegas during the 90’s, several times at the Mirage and MGM Grand. Always a consummate entertainer with a smidge of musical history as he showcased songs he wrote for Sinatra and others.

Believe it or not we even enjoyed that ridiculous song “Having My Baby”, crazy as that sounds....:rolleyes:

We saw Anka in Vegas during the 90’s, several times at the Mirage and MGM Grand. Always a consummate entertainer with a smidge of musical history as he showcased songs he wrote for Sinatra and others.

Believe it or not we even enjoyed that ridiculous song “Having My Baby”, crazy as that sounds....:rolleyes:

PM anytime for info on how your wife might get to hear Mr.A in Quad, I might know a man who knows a man who knows a man who knows.. (y)

Native Sons - Loggins & Messina (Quad from SQ LP decoded by Surround Master)

"..if you were a flower and I were a bee,
I'd love to taste your honey, such ecstasy,
Oh, Sweet Marie,
You're the one for me,
I've got to get to know you.."

positively divine! :worthy

fingers crossed this makes it out on Surround SACD someday.. 'twas never released in discrete form but on the basis of how great the SQ decode sounds it's got legs to be one of Columbia's all-time best Quads, imho! :music

I like his tune "My Way " which Sinatra had a hit with....but the version (and video ) with Sid Vicious is a must see and hear.

It can be seen and heard on the movie Sid And Nancy , fwiw. :smokin

Back