Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And of course , because I do recommend it ,

Classic Rock - Inside The Music . DVDA

Kinda too bad they did not issue a DVDA of either George Thorogood nor Canned Heat , woulda been very cool I think.

I have that one and "Ladies On Top"- they're sort of interesting, weird mix of real and seemingly fake surround mixes. The Canned Heat track was one of the highlights if I recall.

The best from Silverline are definitely those Big Phat Band discs. Todd Rundgren's Liars isn't bad either.

Looks good, just checked Amazon and $77.00, too much. I have Classic Country, New Wave, Classic Jazz, Women On Top, and Surf's Up, all pretty good.

Yea, that's a bit high alright . I suppose it's rare now , though , but I myself would not pay that price .

I only have 3 , Women On Top , New Wave and Classic Rock.

Other sorta similar sets they came out with in their dying days (Siverline ) are the " Masters Of Series " of which I have one ..... Punk/New Wave . It's quite good I think . But it's not DVDA , but dvd with DolbyDige .

So anyways .....How does the "Surf's Up " one sound and how's the mix ?

Last edited:
I have that one and "Ladies On Top"- they're sort of interesting, weird mix of real and seemingly fake surround mixes. The Canned Heat track was one of the highlights if I recall.

The best from Silverline are definitely those Big Phat Band discs. Todd Rundgren's Liars isn't bad either.

Hard to say if they are all upmixes on Classic Rock , as each track has a different mix engineer .
But if they are ....most are quite good .
Women On Top mixes kinda all sound alike though. The TC Electronics swipe kinda sound for that one.

I kinda regret not getting more from the series though.

I have the Rundgren " Liars " DVDA and it should sound good in surround , as he mixed his own disc . Good on him to do so .

Yea, that's a bit high alright . I suppose it's rare now , though , but I myself would not pay that price .

I only have 3 , Women On Top , New Wave and Classic Rock.

Other sorta similar sets they came out with in their dying days (Siverline ) are the " Masters Of Series " of which I have one ..... Punk/New Wave . It's quite good I think . But it's not DVDA , but dvd with DolbyDige .

So anyways .....How does the "Surf's Up " one sound and how's the mix ?

I bet you would like it, it sounds good to me.

Santana - Abraxas (Custom Edition) the quad mix. It is very different from the stereo one I am used to. It is not bad though. I am getting used to the quad pan effect of Carlos's guitar near the end of Black Magic Woman however (you know the Gypsy Queen part at the end).

although I did bring most of my collection, and I still think his best was the Raven, my soul keeps asking me to listen to this...
SW
HCE
BD

this one is a GROWER, more so than a lot of discs...
Maybe it's because of living alone in the city... and if you see that I haven't posted in a long while here, well..you know...

Santana - Abraxas (Custom Edition) the quad mix. It is very different from the stereo one I am used to. It is not bad though. I am getting used to the quad pan effect of Carlos's guitar near the end of Black Magic Woman however (you know the Gypsy Queen part at the end).

Is that the DVD-A or whatever that is terrible? I remember buying a Santana 5.1 and it was horrible, the stereo remains the best, and the MOFI SACD stereo is the better. Now, in the packaging from Japan for the 7" X 7" SACD mch of Lotus, they show about 5 Santana albums in there Japanese literature. When they did that with Jeff Beck they all got released in surround. The question, are SACD surround of Santana coming? If you go by the literature of Jeff Beck than yes, but who knows.

Is that the DVD-A or whatever that is terrible? I remember buying a Santana 5.1 and it was horrible, the stereo remains the best, and the MOFI SACD stereo is the better.

It's the DTS-CD released by Brad Miller's DTS in the 1990s, which is the original quad mix with a derived center/sub. I think there's two reasons why people don't like it:
  1. The mix: Abraxas was one of the first poplar SQ LPs issued by Columbia in 1971 and as such, it was mixed with a lot of "gimmicky" effects to really show you it's quad. Santana's guitar pans around the sound-field at an almost nauseating pace in "Gypsy Queen" in particular.
  2. The fidelity: the old quad LP was always lacking in bass, but something must've gone wrong when they were making this disc because the sound quality is overly bright and lacking bass. I've done some experiments with boosting the bass and cutting the high end and it helps a lot.
I personally happen to like the quad mix and all its crazy swirling effects. Some of the other Santana quads have much better mixes though, particularly the self-titled and the 3 "fusion trilogy" albums (Caranvanserai, Welcome, Borboletta).

It's the DTS-CD released by Brad Miller's DTS in the 1990s, which is the original quad mix with a derived center/sub. I think there's two reasons why people don't like it:
  1. The mix: Abraxas was one of the first poplar SQ LPs issued by Columbia in 1971 and as such, it was mixed with a lot of "gimmicky" effects to really show you it's quad. Santana's guitar pans around the sound-field at an almost nauseating pace in "Gypsy Queen" in particular.
  2. The fidelity: the old quad LP was always lacking in bass, but something must've gone wrong when they were making this disc because the sound quality is overly bright and lacking bass. I've done some experiments with boosting the bass and cutting the high end and it helps a lot.
I personally happen to like the quad mix and all its crazy swirling effects. Some of the other Santana quads have much better mixes though, particularly the self-titled and the 3 "fusion trilogy" albums (Caranvanserai, Welcome, Borboletta).

Yes, your right, if I remember correctly there was no bass. Out of all the discs I own I think that is the only one that I ever returned and didn't replace it.

Reactions: GOS

Everything you stated about this disc is right on the money. I like it too but the first few cuts are lacking in bass and then suddenly the bass kicks in. The frenetic mix is dizzying at times but IMO suits the music. And the Santana track [Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen] AF included on their Collection QUAD SACD, IMO, doesn't fare any better. BTW, look at the price Acoustic Sounds is charging for the now OOP COLLECTION QUAD SACD: https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...n_Adventure_In_Sound-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

Abraxas would be ripe for a SONY Japan 7" deluxe packaged release.....remastered in QUAD DSD from the original analogue QUAD masters!

Last edited:
This one goes to 11...

Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction (Blu Ray 5.1)

R-12188017-1530842692-9824.jpeg.jpg

The Fixx's "1011 Woodland" is a hidden gem from Silverline. True 5.1 surround. Great discreet mix. Great fidelity. 24/96 DVD-Audio. And pretty darn good album. Most of the songs are c. 2000 re-recordings of some of their old hits done in an updated fashion. If they were a band that you thought was maybe a bit too "80s" or maybe only really know from their couple of really big hits, this is a good set to rediscover them and see just how good the songwriting was.

Plus, it's really easy to find for around 10 bucks.

Last edited:
This one goes to 11...

Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction (Blu Ray 5.1)

R-12188017-1530842692-9824.jpeg.jpg

This is a tough one for me. I REALLY want to hear this mix, but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on the price for the full deluxe set. Especially with so many other things being released right now that I will be spending my money on.

I'm guess a standalone Blu-Ray isn't in the offering?

Messiaen Turangalila - Chailly in surround -really enjoying this one
Yarlung Jung A Lee Walt Disney Concert Hall Organ in DSD : This one is just ok, a rather dry recording, no center channel output . I can barely tell any action in the surrounds. It appears the microphones were positioned too close to the pipes. I think this one is over hyped.
The Aeolian Organ at Duke University Chapel - I enjoyed this one. Well done.
Grand Celebration Live with Wanamaker organ at Macy Center City Philadelphia - Jongen Symphony Concertante - in fake surround. This one is recorded at a really low level. The acoustics are rather reverberent and somewhat muddy, but boy do those 32 ft pipes sing !! Crank it up and enjoy all those sub 20 Hz frequencies shake your house :SB.

Back