Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boz Scaggs - Dig
03F5F5B4-08A4-4FD7-88C3-26D053824AE8.jpeg
03F5F5B4-08A4-4FD7-88C3-26D053824AE8.jpeg

Last edited:
Messiaen Turangalila - Chailly in surround -really enjoying this one
Yarlung Jung A Lee Walt Disney Concert Hall Organ in DSD : This one is just ok, a rather dry recording, no center channel output . I can barely tell any action in the surrounds. It appears the microphones were positioned too close to the pipes. I think this one is over hyped.
The Aeolian Organ at Duke University Chapel - I enjoyed this one. Well done.
Grand Celebration Live with Wanamaker organ at Macy Center City Philadelphia - Jongen Symphony Concertante - in fake surround. This one is recorded at a really low level. The acoustics are rather reverberent and somewhat muddy, but boy do those 32 ft pipes sing !! Crank it up and enjoy all those sub 20 Hz frequencies shake your house :SB.
I like The Aeolian Organ on PentaTone, too. The program might not have many big, famous organ showpieces, but I found the selection of music very attractive. One thing I really enjoy about organ music is that we can listen to various organs around the world...and also the wonderful acoustics of the building in which it resides. The Aeolian Organ recording certainly has a deep soundstage. I can get a good sense of the resonance of the Duke university chapel. Now listening to track 3: André Fleury - Vif. It sounds amazing. So light and ethereal!

P.S. If you like Brahms, I highly recommend Brahms - Haydn Variations, Händel Variations, and Variations in D minor. It's on the MDG label SACD. Here's a link to a review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Apr/Brahms_organ_94920516.htm

These are all organ arrangements of his music originally for other instruments. They are magnificently performed by Christoph Schoener on the massive organ in Hamburg, Germany. The sound is a bit reverberant but I love it!!! :love:

Last edited:
Chase......D~V two~fer

All I can say at a high volume is UNBELIEVABLE!

DTS Entertainment: Santana Abraxas.....yes that problematic disc which some loathe but I TWEAKED MY SYSTEM and played it at 81 decibels and there was actual bass, the sibilance is gone and it was SPECTACULAR!

I envy your Chase experience...my order got lost in transit. DV is showing great customer service, expediting a new copy. Oh well, I’ve waited 44 years, what’s a couple more weeks.... o_Oo_Oo_O

Just listened to this---Again !!!

All the way through . "NINE FEET UNDERGROUND " has some a couple of cool circular surround parts on the organ btw. Good speaker test that.

Love that quirky "Golf Girl " intro song---very catchy mit da horns and all.

Well ....we need more --

CARAVAN !!!

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink. DD 5.1

:)

20181015_180707.jpg

It's the DTS-CD released by Brad Miller's DTS in the 1990s, which is the original quad mix with a derived center/sub. I think there's two reasons why people don't like it:
  1. The mix: Abraxas was one of the first poplar SQ LPs issued by Columbia in 1971 and as such, it was mixed with a lot of "gimmicky" effects to really show you it's quad. Santana's guitar pans around the sound-field at an almost nauseating pace in "Gypsy Queen" in particular.
  2. The fidelity: the old quad LP was always lacking in bass, but something must've gone wrong when they were making this disc because the sound quality is overly bright and lacking bass. I've done some experiments with boosting the bass and cutting the high end and it helps a lot.
I personally happen to like the quad mix and all its crazy swirling effects. Some of the other Santana quads have much better mixes though, particularly the self-titled and the 3 "fusion trilogy" albums (Caranvanserai, Welcome, Borboletta).

The only peeve I had with the QUAD release (Columbia) , was that it's somewhat different and not as good as the original 70's stereo album. They used a couple different (and somewhat inferior takes from the original sessions ). I know the scream is added to gypsy queen , and to me sounds out of wack.

I am kinda used to the mix now , and reserved to the fact that we will never hear the original tracks in surround .So anyway I now don't mind the DTS cd and I think it's one of the best sounding from Brad Miller's HDS label. I think if he'd of lived longer we might have seen many more quad DTS discs from him .

Just listened to this---Again !!!

All the way through . "NINE FEET UNDERGROUND " has some a couple of cool circular surround parts on the organ btw. Good speaker test that.

Love that quirky "Golf Girl " intro song---very catchy mit da horns and all.

Well ....we need more --

CARAVAN !!!

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink. DD 5.1

:)

View attachment 36126

Just ordered this off ebay..ta for high recs.

I envy your Chase experience...my order got lost in transit. DV is showing great customer service, expediting a new copy. Oh well, I’ve waited 44 years, what’s a couple more weeks.... o_Oo_Oo_O

It will be well worth the wait. Musically and sonically two rare examples of QUAD at it's BEST! D~V's a class act and I'm sure you will receive yours VERY soon.

The only peeve I had with the QUAD release (Columbia) , was that it's somewhat different and not as good as the original 70's stereo album. They used a couple different (and somewhat inferior takes from the original sessions ). I know the scream is added to gypsy queen , and to me sounds out of wack.

I am kinda used to the mix now , and reserved to the fact that we will never hear the original tracks in surround .So anyway I now don't mind the DTS cd and I think it's one of the best sounding from Brad Miller's HDS label. I think if he'd of lived longer we might have seen many more quad DTS discs from him .

I think Brad Miller 'might've coaxed' SONY for a proper MLP DVD~A release of ABRAXAS but I do have a feeling SONY Japan will eventually release the Santana QUADs in that special 7" packaging. I've had that Abraxas DTS disc for years but I've never heard it sound THIS phenomenol. I know a lot of people sold their copy out of disgust or filed it away but I did play this disc at a loud volume right after listening to the Chase two~fer so I know what I'm talking about in terms of Sound Quality.

Back