Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when I said "sides" is the same that when you say "rears".
Yes, I understood. And in fact that was the behaviour I would have expected, but it's not happening.
It's more in line with @LuvMyQuad comment. Weird.
Did you like the other two Guy Fletcher's mixes? I also found them quite underwhelming, I like much more BiA SACD than its Atmos counterpart

Yes, I understood. And in fact that was the behaviour I would have expected, but it's not happening.
It's more in line with @LuvMyQuad comment. Weird.
Did you like the other two Guy Fletcher's mixes? I also found them quite underwhelming, I like much more BiA SACD than its Atmos counterpart
I think opinions of the previous Knopfler surround releases vary widely and may be setup dependant. My rears are at 95 degrees or so, and those mixes sound fairly good on my 5.1.4 setup. YMMV

I think opinions of the previous Knopfler surround releases vary widely and may be setup dependant. My rears are at 95 degrees or so, and those mixes sound fairly good on my 5.1.4 setup. YMMV
And I believe you are fully right. One thing I learnt after many listens to Atmos mixes and reading the forum is that indeed there's a dependency with the physical layout and the AVR configuration. My rears are also at 95 degrees, a bit closer to 90 perhaps.
Perhaps what puzzles me the most is that there are some mixes that are almost universally praised and others that seem to be more dependent on the particular listener's setup. If my setup is somehow flawed, shouldn't it impact to all the mixes and not just to a few of them?

And I believe you are fully right. One thing I learnt after many listens to Atmos mixes and reading the forum is that indeed there's a dependency with the physical layout and the AVR configuration. My rears are also at 95 degrees, a bit closer to 90 perhaps.
Perhaps what puzzles me the most is that there are some mixes that are almost universally praised and others that seem to be more dependent on the particular listener's setup. If my setup is somehow flawed, shouldn't it impact to all the mixes and not just to a few of them?
If you have your surround speakers at close to 90, they are side surrounds or just surrounds not rears . I have my side surrounds at about 110 to get better results with 5.1 or 4.0 sources in my 7.4.4 setup.

If you have your surround speakers at close to 90, they are side surrounds or just surrounds not rears . I have my side surrounds at about 110 to get better results with 5.1 or 4.0 sources in my 7.4.4 setup.
It's confusing, I know. When there are only two surround speakers, they are often referred to as "the rears".

Your system isn't flawed, just different from some others. Having side vs back rears works great for 5.1 in my opinion. It's a nice U shaped sound field. I'm still forming opinions when it comes to Atmos

Exactly this… Unfortunately it’s not up to the level of Chuck Ainley… And I think this Atmos mix of the new album also suffers the same fate. Why are the backing vocals also mixed into the fronts?! Poor mixing decision in terms of surround in my opinion… 🤷‍♂️

Exactly this… Unfortunately it’s not up to the level of Chuck Ainley… And I think this Atmos mix of the new album also suffers the same fate. Why are the backing vocals also mixed into the fronts?! Poor mixing decision in terms of surround in my opinion… 🤷‍♂️
What gets me is that Fletcher actually had the nerve to talk down about the (Grammy-winning!) Chuck Ainlay 5.1 mix in a recent interview.
You’ve done various Dire Straits projects in surround sound formats over the years. How does Dolby Atmos compare to those experiences?

“The only one I was really involved with was the 5.1 Brothers in Arms that [producer and engineer] Chuck Ainlay did. I’ve got to say Dolby Atmos just blows it away. The immersive experience of Atmos is so far in advance of standard 5.1. At the time, 5.1 was great, but this is a whole different level of immersion. Having access to those 5.1 surround mixes that Chuck did were fantastic, but again, compared to this they were very limited. Atmos really opens it up.”
His BIA Atmos mix doesn't blow the 5.1 away, it just straight-up blows.

What gets me is that Fletcher actually had the nerve to talk down about the (Grammy-winning!) Chuck Ainlay 5.1 mix in a recent interview.

His BIA Atmos mix doesn't blow the 5.1 away, it just straight-up blows.

The BIA 5.1 DVD-A/SACD is one of the best 5.1 releases PERIOD. The mix, especially after the 3 first over played songs is incredible. Start with "Your Latest Trick" and you are listening to top shelf incredible surround audio. Go to demo stuff for sure. I don't know what that dude was ingesting but he should see a doctor

I had to wait until I got home from work on Wednesday to order this one, my first SDE exclusive since Tubular bells, the credit card with SDE had expired in December. Luckily no issues securing a copy.

For me, I'm taking a bit of a chance on it, since it seems more expensive at $42 than previous SDEs. I've been a fan of Dire Straits and Knopfer since Sultans of Swing was a Single in '77/78 and have enjoyed Mark's soundtrack work. His post Dire Straits solo releases have never hit with me. I saw him a few years ago and loved the show, both the Dire Straits and solo material. I don't know what to expect with this one. The single is enjoyable the Apple Music mix sounds like stereo.

I had to wait until I got home from work on Wednesday to order this one, my first SDE exclusive since Tubular bells, the credit card with SDE had expired in December. Luckily no issues securing a copy.

For me, I'm taking a bit of a chance on it, since it seems more expensive at $42 than previous SDEs. I've been a fan of Dire Straits and Knopfer since Sultans of Swing was a Single in '77/78 and have enjoyed Mark's soundtrack work. His post Dire Straits solo releases have never hit with me. I saw him a few years ago and loved the show, both the Dire Straits and solo material. I don't know what to expect with this one. The single is enjoyable the Apple Music mix sounds like stereo.
No love for Sailing to Philadelphia, Boom, Like That, or Baloney Again ?

No love for Sailing to Philadelphia, Boom, Like That, or Baloney Again ?
Not as whole albums. After seeing him live, I listened to the albums on streaming and liked a few songs here and there. I use shuffle frequently for background music but am much more of an album listener than a song listener.

It's frustrating for me, I want to love his music, and have seen his discs come up for sale on QQ many times, but couldn't bite, This one is probably more expensive than those were.

it's my first purchase of 2024, so I'm hoping for the best.

Perhaps that edition is exclusive to Europe? I can't imagine another reason why the label's own U.S. website wouldn't list/carry a particular edition. It's also listed here at Knopfler's own U.K. shop:

https://shopuk.markknopfler.com/products/one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-edition
And here at the global shop, for E.U. customers only:

https://shop.markknopfler.com/product/mark-knopfler-one-deep-river-deluxe-2cd-eur/
When I access the above page, I'm greeted with the message:

If I select the "One Deep River" option from the page menu, I get this message:

Following the above link offers no options for the standalone 2-CD edition.
I wonder what's going on there. It's a bit like what happened with the Dire Straits live box set, which was released much later in the US than in Europe.

I have 6 large speakers and my Oppo set for 5.1. Should I change my Oppo from 5.1 to 7.1 and play the sides instead of the rears for atmos mixes (de-select the rears)?

Listening to "Ahead of The Game" on my 7.2.4 Atmos setup there is plenty of activity in the height speakers as well as the side surrounds, but the rear surround speakers are virtually silent. The track still sounds good with gentle immersion, but the front heavy Atmos mix on this single is definitely tame. I hope this is an outlier because if the rest of the album is mixed like this it will be a bit of a disappointment. Potentially another reason I hate blind buying.

Listening to "Ahead of The Game" on my 7.2.4 Atmos setup there is plenty of activity in the height speakers as well as the side surrounds, but the rear surround speakers are virtually silent. The track still sounds good with gentle immersion, but the front heavy Atmos mix on this single is definitely tame. I hope this is an outlier because if the rest of the album is mixed like this it will be a bit of a disappointment. Potentially another reason I hate blind buying.

I look at this way: it's Knopfler in hi res. If the Atmos sounds even a little better than 2ch, that's still better. Sure I hope for a stunning Atmos mix, but it's not a huge expense and I'd be buying it anyway in some 2ch format (which will be on this disc too).

Back