Mark Knopfler - One Deep River (SDE exclusive Blu-Ray w/Dolby Atmos, limited to 2000, April '24)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, no email, so thanks for the alert. Instantly ordered ($11 shipping - ouch). The mixes and mastering on Mark Knopfler's previous surround albums are excellent.
$11 for shipping to the US? It’s $13 to the Netherlands. Odd.
The past year I found some more odd things with SDE.
Last year I ordered the Suede bluray. Price WITHOUT VAT was £23.00, p&p was £8. Obviously I had to pay VAT and handling fees to Dutch handlers (something like €14).
Then SDE joined the IOSS system (which arranges that SDE can collect VAT and prevents the customer from having to pay import duties and service fees). Prices INCLUDING VAT are now stil £23. p&p has gone up to £10. Thanks to IOSS it's now cheaper to order (still €40 for one disc), but I can't help but feel that prior to joining IOSS, SDE simply sold the blurays to non-UK residents at a higher price. UK residentes would pay £23 with VAT included, non-UK residentes would pay £23 without VAT included. I've asked about this on the website, but my messages were rejected.
I order from other small retailers in the UK (e.g. Marillion's online shop) and their p&p to mainland Europe is £7,50 for a regular CD or bluray. How does SDE need £10??? And how is shipping stuff to the USA cheaper than to a country that is a mere 100 km's away?

Last edited:
I ordered. All of my previous single disc sde orders were $31 including shipping. This one is $42. Is this the going rate going forward or is this just a more expensive disc for some reason ?

I ordered. All of my previous single disc sde orders were $31 including shipping. This one is $42. Is this the going rate going forward or is this just a more expensive disc for some reason ?
Here in the UK the cost of the 'disc' is £23.00, which is the same price as all the 2023 discs. The only cost that changes (even in the UK) is the shipping...

K (e.g. Marillion's online shop) and their p&p to mainland Europe is £7,50 for a regular CD or bluray. How does SDE need £10??? And how is shipping stuff to the USA cheaper than to a country that is a mere 100 km's away?
Does Racket Records send the records unregistered and SDE registered? Does SDE pay VAT in your home country on the postage as well because it is included in the product value? These are just guesses.

Does Racket Records send the records unregistered and SDE registered? Does SDE pay VAT in your home country on the postage as well because it is included in the product value? These are just guesses.
I'm fairly certain Marillion hold stock & ship from their own HQ premises, whereas SDE use a third party distributor (Prospect?) for holding stock & shipping, so that will add to the cost

Yes for the first question, so that would explain a bit of the difference. BOth deal with VAT in the same way (IOSS), so that's not really an explanation.

I'm fairly certain Marillion hold stock & ship from their own HQ premises, whereas SDE use a third party distributor (Prospect?) for holding stock & shipping, so that will add to the cost
And a quite significant addition at that... It is what it is of course, but SDE would sell more to me if p&p were lower.

Are you sure your previous order at $31 included postage? The listed disc price of £23.00 converts to about $30, and I know postage has never been under £8 to the US.

I've asked about this on the website, but my messages were rejected.
Yeah, that tracks. Still, Paul seems to genuinely care about the stuff he sells, so I think we just have to live with things not always being the most convenient or cheapest.

My account info on the sde website says order total of $31 for each previous disc ($23 plus $8 shipping) and I always thought that it was a OK deal. I sure wasn't aware that I've been paying close to $40 per disc!

My account info on the sde website says order total of $31 for each previous disc ($23 plus $8 shipping) and I always thought that it was a OK deal. I sure wasn't aware that I've been paying close to $40 per disc!
There may be something hinky with how that page is rendering for you. Price should show as £23 per disc (i.e. in Pounds), not $23 (i.e. in Dollars). That comes to about $31 per disc.

The price for the item is £23 which translates to $31 + $13 postage. For some reason I get billed in $ and that has been the price for some time, maybe the postage has gone up a little. The cheapest postage from Burning Shed for me is £7 without tracking.

Back