Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad mixes shipping 5/26)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BSfD1XJ.jpg

8OaagiU.jpg

Finally complete!, waiting for Suede BD Audio now

Regards,

Last edited:
Hmmm so in the interview in Sound On Sound, David Kosten says:

“My intention was that I wanted people to be hard pushed to tell that this wasn’t done in 1973. It would just happen to have a time machine and be able to put it into spatial. I wanted it to sound exactly like the 1973 version. No excuses. There is no decision in terms of panning or EQ or effect or anything that I made. Every single decision that I heard on those stereos had to be duplicated as exactly as I could first. So I was essentially trying to mirror what the guys did in 1973 before I did anything to do with Atmos.”

So when did the volume drop of the spoken part happen (and the missing bass)?

Now I understand why the actual tubular bells sounded a bit harsh:

"This, it turned out, was harder than it sounds, one reason being that important parts were simply missing from the surviving multitracks — among them the album’s titular tubular bells. Although there were several bell recordings on the multitrack, none of them was the part used on the original album mix. Where did the bells on the album itself actually come from? Had they been overdubbed during mixdown? Or did Mike Oldfield erase them from the multitrack later? We’ll probably never know, but it meant a lot of work for Kosten, who had to finesse that section of the stereo master into his multitrack."

"This, it turned out, was harder than it sounds, one reason being that important parts were simply missing from the surviving multitracks — among them the album’s titular tubular bells. Although there were several bell recordings on the multitrack, none of them was the part used on the original album mix. Where did the bells on the album itself actually come from? Had they been overdubbed during mixdown? Or did Mike Oldfield erase them from the multitrack later? We’ll probably never know, but it meant a lot of work for Kosten, who had to finesse that section of the stereo master into his multitrack."
It's been known that the bell strike after Stanshall's announcement has been missing at least since the 2009 remix was done, according to this article it was erased from the multitrack.
“The original bell had some distortion on it, which was impossible to get rid of. In the mid-seventies I was convinced to replace the bell with one that didn’t have distortion, and I foolishly agreed, and we rubbed it off."

"We haven’t been able to track down the original multitrack master – I’ve been working from a copy. I was pulling out my hair thinking: ‘What can I do?’ In the middle of Part One there’s a simple flute tune and in the background is the same bell. It was playing some of the right notes, so I spent days reproducing exactly the original bell using that, and with some jiggery-pokery I think it’s even better than the first one now, and it hasn’t got the distortion.”

The backstory is fascinating!
The quad SACD booklet has considerable detail about the 1975 quad mix, by which time parts were already missing including the tubular bells. Being only intended as a demo mix of what could be done, the easy option was taken. The 16 track master was copied to 24 track to provide space to record missing parts, but they weren't played by Mike Oldfield and different Tubular Bells had to be used as the originals had been physically destroyed by Mike hitting them with coal hammers!

I’m still trying to get my second copy that I ordered on day one sent to me from SDE. I’ve been in touch with them several times and they said it would be sorted out but I’m still waiting two weeks later. According to the shop app it’s been sent on 26may and has left the uk. Tracking number doesn’t work and I don’t know if that is talking about the original copy that I did get or the second copy. Buggered if I know…………. If I’m not going to get it I should get a refund at least.

Did any spare copies get released by SDE after the initial window closed, asking for a fellow Aussie who doesn’t have a copy

Did any spare copies get released by SDE after the initial window closed, asking for a fellow Aussie who doesn’t have a copy
Based on the issues reported with both the Atmos mix (bass time sync) and transfer of 1975 quad mix (channel delays and balance issues) you'd be better off looking for the quad SACD. I was intending to offload my SACD once I had the blu ray, but I've abandoned that plan.

I’m still trying to get my second copy that I ordered on day one sent to me from SDE. I’ve been in touch with them several times and they said it would be sorted out but I’m still waiting two weeks later. According to the shop app it’s been sent on 26may and has left the uk. Tracking number doesn’t work and I don’t know if that is talking about the original copy that I did get or the second copy. Buggered if I know…………. If I’m not going to get it I should get a refund at least.
It arrived today!!!

It arrived today!!!
I just got very nice emails from Paul and Anne at SDE. Paul was just about to send me another copy! I immediately emailed back not to as my missing one had arrived yesterday and minutes later he replied back to confirm that he had been able to cancel it before posting. I said somebody else can enjoy it now….. so get your order in if you don’t have it!!!
Super people to deal with and they really care about what they are doing which is so nice nowadays. Love SDE!

Back