Muse new album The Resistance in 5.1 (Box Set with DTS DVD-V)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D It's deeper than that, go one step beyond Octavarium and listen to the song "Prophets of War", it is pure Muse !

I always thought Prophets was more like Queen.

Checked out some Muse after reading this thread. Not my cup of tea.

Carry on....

I always thought Prophets was more like Queen.

Checked out some Muse after reading this thread. Not my cup of tea.

Carry on....

As a long time Muse (and Dream Theatre) fan I deffinitely agree that Prophets sound like it is a muse cover (except for the vocals). I actually find the extent of the blatent copying of Muse's style on this track quite ridiculous.

On the new Muse album, the track United States of Eurasia sounds very much like Queen.

Stumbled across the .dts files yesterday, made a DVD with DVD Lab Pro (that is screwed up - each track in a new group, ends of tracks cut off). Not exactly my cup of tea, but if they sell it I will buy it. Please don't make me learn how to author a DTS DVD, just take my $20 and send me a proper version.

I found the.dts files too. I figured out how to burn them to a dvda. LMK if you want to know how I did it. You'll need Tranzgui and chrome II.

It was a pain in the rear, but worth it. It's 32bit/48kHz. I was pretty impressed with this record, very good, slick sounding sometimes-- I like the surround mix alot. Sometimes aggresssive the rears with panning around the room.

Am I understanding correctly that the box set with the 5.1 mix is not available anymore? If so, that's unacceptable, and they want to prevent downloading!!

I found the.dts files too. I figured out how to burn them to a dvda. LMK if you want to know how I did it. You'll need Tranzgui and chrome II.

It was a pain in the rear, but worth it. It's 32bit/48kHz. I was pretty impressed with this record, very good, slick sounding sometimes-- I like the surround mix alot. Sometimes aggresssive the rears with panning around the room.

Am I understanding correctly that the box set with the 5.1 mix is not available anymore? If so, that's unacceptable, and they want to prevent downloading!!

I think I'll try playing it on the computer and sending it via coax to my receiver. I would guess that a software solution is going to be easiest, but thanks for the offer and I'll PM you if I decide to go that route. The official DVD was a rather expensive and very limited edition run. I was not familiar with the band and wouldn't consider paying that much for the DVD. But now that I've heard it, even if it's not my favorite genre, I would pay a typical DVD price for it. Maybe there is an issue with the record company and they can release it on their own at a later date like Porcupine Tree does. Anyway, I hope something comes out as discs with boxes and booklets get played much more often than computer files around here.

On the new Muse album, the track United States of Eurasia sounds very much like Queen.

They sure do and I think I spoke too soon about it not being my cup of tea. It's actually really good. Too bad the 5.1 couldn't get a DVD-A release.

I was pretty impressed with this record, very good, slick sounding sometimes-- I like the surround mix alot. Sometimes aggresssive the rears with panning around the room.

I have't looked at this thread in a while and not sure whether to cry or get mad at Muse(or record label) for not giving everyone a chance to buy the surround version of this. I have the cd of this title and over all think its another good release from them. Its not their best album but there are some good songs on this album.

As a long time Muse (and Dream Theatre) fan I deffinitely agree that Prophets sound like it is a muse cover (except for the vocals). I actually find the extent of the blatent copying of Muse's style on this track quite ridiculous.

Even my wife who doesn't like much of the music I listen to made a comment the other day about this song and how much it sounds like Queen.

peter

This one's a winner.

OK it's not high-rez but the DTS track (and only one) sounds absolutely terrific.

The mix is VERY discrete and is full of nice and daring ideas. Honestly I'm impressed.

It's all the more depressing to see such an excellent 5.1 mix to be reserved to 5000 copies. It's stupid beyond imagination.

And btw, if anyone has the name of the guy who mixed this in surround, I'd be very curious to know who he is.

+1 for all what YmSeb said. Especially about the 5.000 copies thing and the daring ideas.
/crossing fingers for a genuine surround disc release.

And of course, I apologize for my previous sarcasm about the quality. It's not bad, hell no!

@ BananaSlug and wanners

When you refer to "finding" the .dts files do you mean that the files reside somewhere on the readily available documentary DVD and just aren't available from the menu, or do you mean finding them through, um... another source? Obviously, if it's option number two you wouldn't elaborate here, but if it's option one I'll totally buy that disc tonight and start fooling around with it.

I love muse, and their music is a perfect fit for surround.

I'm starting to really like this disc. Normally I don't care much for symphonic rock - which is what I'd categorize this as. I sure wish they'd put out a DVD-A, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Really nice surround mix - shame that you can only get it now via file sharing sites with nothing going to the band. It's getting to be a real pain that recent surround mixes like this and David Sylvian's are being relegated to expensive "fans" editions.:mad:

I have been listening to the cd in the car all week as haven't listened to it since the initial release and I really like this album. I don't mind that some of the songs are a bit over the top as it reminds me of what Queen did years ago. To me that makes listening to music fun when you put in multi layered vocals,layered guitar parts,orchestra parts.

Really nice surround mix - shame that you can only get it now via file sharing sites with nothing going to the band. It's getting to be a real pain that recent surround mixes like this and David Sylvian's are being relegated to expensive "fans" editions.:mad:

I agree with matt here it's frustrating that we couldn't have a general release with everyone getting a chance to buy the surround version. I finally had a chance today to hear the same title in Dts surround and it's pretty good. It's a improvement over the stereo only release some neat stuff in the rears, only complaint I would have other then it not being in Dvd Audio is that the recording is over compressed and that gets magnified in Dts surround version if you are listening really loud to this recording.

peter

For those who may be snowed in tomorrow night, Muse is scheduled as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live. Thought someone might want to check them out.
Phil Spinner

I got a chance to listen to this one and have to say I was very impressed. Didn't know the music or even the band before I saw this thread going on, but I would gladly buy this one if it was available outside of a $100 box set. It really frustrates me how the surround market is made out to be unprofitable, but time and again it's not given the opportunity to see how big the market might be. Only selling 5000 of these seems insane if there are people with money wanting to order more. I always wonder if they were still available, how many ELP or Fleetwood Mac dvd-a's could have been sold. At least Porcupine Tree and KC seem to think it's worth their effort.

K

Yea.. I just have a sneaking suspicion that the dude might not know what he's talking about. After all, how can you know unless you open the box? It's a new sealed box...

If he's right though, I'm going to be the lucky owner of 1 out of 5000 Muse - Resistance 5.1 surround DVD's (I don't get why Muse doesn't sell these alone or bundled with the CD? People actually want these things...)

I talked to another guy he sold the deluxe box set to. Apparently we got the some of the 5000 numbered editions. The seller even sent me pics as proof. Looks like I got lucky with this one. Good deal for $50 shipped.

Back