Music from the twilight saga blu-ray due Dec. 4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This seems pretty interesting even if you're not a fan of the movie or the music. In terms of bringing music on Blu Ray to a broader audience, you couldn't ask for a more mainstream entry. No word yet on the all important codecs and certainly nature of the mixes - but one could be hopeful. Here's the news so far (link below);

"In an early alert to retailers Summit Entertainment has announced plans to bring “Music from the Twilight Saga Soundtracks: Videos and Performances – Volume 1” to Blu-ray Disc on December 4th to coincide with the release of the latest film. The release will include music videos of the songs featured on the motion picture soundtracks for these films as well as live musical performances of those songs. The tech specs (aside from a 100 minute runtime) for the release and details have yet to be announced, but stay tuned and we’ll try to keep you updated if we hear anything further. Also worth noting, the subtitle of “Volume 1″ makes me think that Summit has plans to release more of these possibly. The title is already available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon with a $24.49 price tag."
The musical artists featured on this volume include:

•Muse
•Paramore
•Death Cab for Cutie
•Cee Lo Green
•Anya Marina
•Mutemath
•Lupe Fiasco
•Editors
•The Magic Numbers & Amadou & Mariam
•Collective Soul
•Eastern Conference Champions
•O.A.R.
•Metric
•Fanfarlo
•Iron & Wine
•Sia
•Bon Iver & St. Vincent
•Sea Wolf
•The Black Ghosts
•Hurricane Bells

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=52424

Any indication as to whether the music itself is in 5.1? If done right, this could be very good.

Any indication as to whether the music itself is in 5.1? If done right, this could be very good.

I agree that if done right this could be very good indeed. I have not been able to find any indication yet of 5.1 mixes - info is limited at this time to the previous post. I'll keep an eye out and post any new relevant info

I think this release could be a little too mainstream for its own good. Fans of the films might be a little too young for high rez music; they are at a stage when they are able to appreciate music/films simply for their intrinsic appeal, regardless of bitrate or codec. A USB drive shaped like some significant object from the films with lossy mp3s of the soundtrack might be more marketable to them.

On the other side, fans of many of these bands might be too snobbish to buy something associated with the Twilight franchise. Anyone who has been to the Comic-Con can attest to the profound hatred for these films among pop culture enthusiasts.

The good news is, fans of 5.1 (granted it is actually a legit 5.1 release) and hirez music are so starved for releases they will try anything! This doesn't get do anything in terms of widening the appeal of such releases, but at least those people can enjoy it!

I think this release could be a little too mainstream for its own good. Fans of the films might be a little too young for high rez music; they are at a stage when they are able to appreciate music/films simply for their intrinsic appeal, regardless of bitrate or codec. A USB drive shaped like some significant object from the films with lossy mp3s of the soundtrack might be more marketable to them.

On the other side, fans of many of these bands might be too snobbish to buy something associated with the Twilight franchise. Anyone who has been to the Comic-Con can attest to the profound hatred for these films among pop culture enthusiasts.

The good news is, fans of 5.1 (granted it is actually a legit 5.1 release) and hirez music are so starved for releases they will try anything! This doesn't get do anything in terms of widening the appeal of such releases, but at least those people can enjoy it!

To be honest, I couldn't care less what it does for the future of retail surround. I care about the fact that most of these artists have music which would sound good in surround and, if the people doing the mixes show some creativity with the mix itself, and are able to produce something better than what I could do myself, could create something that sounds really good.

I love it when the boo birds come out. This is just a early press release with just a little bit of info. Don't even know if it will be in true hi rez surround or not. Chill and then buy it or not - but to start handicapping it before it's out...well - better to wait for the revival of DVD A and SACD.

To be honest, I couldn't care less what it does for the future of retail surround. I care about the fact that most of these artists have music which would sound good in surround and, if the people doing the mixes show some creativity with the mix itself, and are able to produce something better than what I could do myself, could create something that sounds really good.

I believe that puts you squarely in the third category I mentioned ;).

I will buy this as well, as long as the songs are discrete 5.1 mixes, no Penteo or Pro-Logic.

I love it when the boo birds come out..

Not trying to "boo", just commenting on your assertion that "In terms of bringing music on Blu Ray to a broader audience, you couldn't ask for a more mainstream entry."

Chill and then buy it or not

Sheesh, if that's all it comes down to, why bother starting this thread or commenting on it? Why bother having this forum at all? I'm just furthering discussion friend, which I believe is the point of these forums.

I believe that puts you squarely in the third category I mentioned ;).

I will buy this as well, as long as the songs are discrete 5.1 mixes, no Penteo or Pro-Logic.

Not in the third category at all. I've always got SPEC to rely on. I just think the potential of someone in the industry doing something more than adding a little bit of width to these bands would be cool. Perhaps being starved is caused by listing why something won't work, or what you won't buy, instead of opening yourself up to new experiences which may surprise you. :)

Has anyone picked this up and have any comments one the surround quality of this release?
I did buy a copy as a Christmas present to give to one of my daughters as they are both huge Twilight fans so will be able to hear it in a little while if they let me but curious if its worth the pruchase.

peter

Your question got me curious. I probably can't copy from Amazon and put the review here, but Linda D. Roy's review specifically addresses the 5.1-channel aspect of the release.

Go to:
http://www.amazon.com/Videos-Performances-Twilight-Soundtracks-Blu-ray/dp/B0042MEQUW

then go down to the owner reviews and look for, "Great collection, but has a few oddities". She gave it four stars of five.

Thanks, I did see this review which is one to the positive for the most part. I was hoping someone from the quad community here had maybe listened to it already but I guess not.

peter

Has anyone with quad/surround ears gotten a chance to hear this disc yet? I keep getting tempted to buy it since, while I'm not a Twilight fan, there's some pretty good music on the soundtracks. It's just a bit rich for my blood to plunge in sight unseen/unheard.

Back