MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't laugh at me, but I finally grabbed a copy of Magical Mystery Tour on Blu-ray. It's been aaaaaages since I watched it last time, I'm looking forward to listening the classics in surround.
There are some days MMT is my favourite Beatles album, call me heretics!

Paul Rodgers: Free Spirit. Excellent concert from one of the greatest rock voices. The 5.1 sound mix is basically spread across the front speakers and I wasn't really aware of anything in the rears (although there may have been some ambiance from the crowd) but it is still very enjoyable. Picture quality is OK but it tends to look a bit flat because of the smoke used around the stage. If you like Free this is highly recommended.
Thanks for you thoughts. I really like the music so I think I'll just buy the CD.

Just arrived, cost less than $30 on Amazon.

71%2By-cn0CDL._SL600_.jpg

The Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) performed for the first time in 37 years at Rosemont in Chicago area Wednesday evening. Although Jeff Lynne is the only remaining original member his 13 member band, and he, did an amazing job covering the gambit of hits. Tons of fun!!

Last edited:
The Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) performed for the first time in 37 years at Rosemont in Chicago area Wednesday evening. Although Jeff Lynne is the only remaining original member his 13 member band, and he, did an amazing job covering the gambit of hits. Tons of fun!!
I saw the same show in Oakland a couple of weeks ago, dissapointed they didn't really stretch out on any tunes, just played them as radio hits, which is great of course.

Snagged it too. Seemed like a great way to enhance my meager Mozart collection.
There's not a ton of Mozart in surround (given his importance and productivity), which is a shame. There's lots of versions of the requiem and the last few symphonies, but less as you go down the list. The Pentatone/Julia Fischer recordings of the violin concertos are of course mandatory. Brilliant Classics offered a complete symphonies conducted by Jaap ter Linden, but I'm nearly positive it's an upmix.
5135IDS6BkL.jpg

There's also Adam Fischer's cycle for DaCapo, which was never collected into a box. I do want to get it someday. Also very nice 2-SACD sets from Charles Mackerras (two of them, covering the last ten symphonies essentially) and James Levine on the Boston Symphony's own label. And, of course, there's the Pentatone remastered quad of Marriner and his band in all of the early symphonies, including many beyond the originally known 41, of Mozart.

51F5iAas%2BrL.jpg

Wagner, Tannhäuser (Solti, Vienna). Decca 483 2507 (2018). 5.1 mix from original 4-channel masters. Well-recorded, like all the Deccas of that era. Immersive mix--well beyond standard concert-hall surround, even if it's not exactly discrete. Orchestral numbers (e.g., the overture) almost sound like four-channel mono. And vocal placements are occasionally puzzling. But well worth more than one listen.

61VRTPukl6L._SL1292_.jpg

SW
HCE
(another one that grows on you big time...was not very fond of it when it came out but...man...it's really awesome..especially coming from someone who feels very lonely in a city.....cue in the violins )
BDA.. this one has easily readable lyrics on the booklet.. as opposed to the "find them if you can" ones on the BoxSet...

I am new to Blu-Ray. Right now I am listening to the Inception soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) on the bonus disc. Great movie and fitting music. Reminds me of the music he made for Interstellar (I LOVE that). Does anyone know if there is a similar feature (isolated 5.1 soundtrack) on the Interstellar Blu-Ray?

I am new to Blu-Ray. Right now I am listening to the Inception soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) on the bonus disc. Great movie and fitting music. Reminds me of the music he made for Interstellar (I LOVE that). Does anyone know if there is a similar feature (isolated 5.1 soundtrack) on the Interstellar Blu-Ray?

I got Interstellar on BD (I saw it TWICE at the movies!).. I'll find out although I sorta remember that it doesn't...

Back