Need Help with JVC DVD-A player... (sort of long)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mdweirdo

I picked up the JVC FA900BK (7 disc changer) from Best Buy because I got a REALLY good deal on it. Basically, I'm a poor college kid who found something that decodes dts, DD, and DVD-A, so that I could just plug and play with my current sound system (which has 5.1 analog inputs, but no digital ones).

The unit works like a charm...DD, dts, and PCM tracks all decode and play beautifully, and the picture quality is great. However, there's one problem.

DVD-A discs won't play. Here I was getting all excited because I could finally listen to the MLP tracks rather than the DD5.1 or DTS tracks I've been dealing with, and the stupid things won't play. Here's what happens: I put in the disc, the little blue "DVD-A" light turns on, the menu comes up on the screen. But nothing comes out of the speakers, and the counter ticks off time incorrectly (it will take 3 or 4 seconds to get from :01 to :02, but then 3,4,5 will tick off very quickly, etc.)

The reason I got it so cheaply was because the unit is going away, and I got the last one they had at Best Buy. I took the player to a JVC authorized repair shop, but they pretty much blew off the problem (I don't think they had any DVD-A discs to test it with).

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening before? I'd rather not return the player, because it pretty much means I won't get a new one. I really can't afford anything else that will play DVD-A.

Oh, and to answer a few "dumb" questions in advance...

-I have the player hooked up using the analog 5.1 outputs/inputs, and there is no digital connection whatsoever between the reciever and the player.

-I tried it on 3 different sound systems, so it's definitely the player (I've also tried every DVD-A disc I own, so it's not a software problem).

-All settings on the player are correct...it's set to output 5.1 channels through the analog outs, I set my speaker sizes, etc.

-The unit is recognizing the DVD-A layer, because the menus all have the advanced resolution logos, not those of DD or DTS.

Stupid question #1: Please forgive me but here goes -

Did you switch the receiver to 5.1/6.1 external in?

>>Stupid question #1: Please forgive me but here goes -
>>Did you switch the receiver to 5.1/6.1 external in?

D'oh! That was one of the stupid questions I wanted to pre-answer. Yep...the receiver is set to the 5.1 inputs, and is playing all of the other sound formats perfectly.

Like I said, I'm 99.99999999% sure it's the player, especially because of the weird way the counter is ticking off.

Sorry, but I had to ask. You know, the old "Is it plugged in?" :(

Anyway, you wouldn't believe it, but that question has solved at least one members problem!

:-jon

Okay, here's a stupid question... are the DVD-A discs you've tried commercial product or pirated copies? Depending on the title, I've heard that pirated copies will play the lo-rez content but copy protection will prevent the hi-rez content from playing.

Well based on the fact that the correct menus are coming up and the fact that the other formats work and the fact that the DVD-A discs play but no sound comes out, I would say that your player is broken. Can you not return it for a replacement or was it a one off?

I got it as an open box item, so I got a great deal on it. I went back to BB, and they had no more of the players left. However, it's still under 30 days, so the return policy, as well as the manufacturer's warranty still apply.

Anyone think I'd have any luck trying to go directly through JVC? Their support wasn't much help (they sent me to the repair shop who basically blew me off), but perhaps I could do a direct exchange with them?

Is there a reset function on the DVD player? Sometimes my DVD player goes wacky and I have to leave it unplugged for a while, then it works again. (The standard, have you rebooted fix)

After a few weeks, they found another unit in the back at BB to sell to me open box, so I exchanged for it, and finally get to experience hi-rez after years of listening to my discs DD and DTS style.

And this weekend my 'rents get our new HDTV, so the prog-scan will be put to the test. It's gonna be a good summer, I can tell you that!

Back