New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They number the first 5000 and after that they don't have numbers and there isn't a set limit.

I see that the AF SACDs are numbered "Limited Edition"s.

Does anyone know how many they do for a release?

That's the story on the Mobile Fidelity reissues as well. They are licensed for a set period of time and a limited number of copies. Once the limits are hit, no more copies.
A good reason to buy reissues you are thinking about when they come out! They may not be there at a reasonable price down the road....

While some can afford to experiment with a 5.1 title they do not know, or even like, others cannot. We cannot expect every one of us to purchase a title that is not something we might want to listen to. We've been through this many times over the past 30 years. We want to show support, but we need to have a product that we enjoy supporting.

Thank you Jon,

There is only one thing worse than an annoying DennisMoore post and that is somebody telling you you have to buy every 5.1 disc so we support the industry. :mad:@:

If any idiot tries to give me that BS once more I will ask that he come visit me and I will show him my thousand dollar plus collection of music laser-discs and my many copies of the same music in all the different formats as they get released over & over by corporate America music labels.

Give us a quality product that we would enjoy in surround and we will buy it. It really is that simple. Us consumers have been doing our part for many decades. Its the music industry that has to get their shit together. Yes, some folks enjoy expensive 5.1 box sets or vinyl LP re-releases but the real $$$ for the record company lies with selling millions of units. They are the only ones who can figure that out and get on with it. Does anybody know who Henry Ford was? Of course we do.

We all like to have fun and speculate and request future 5.1 release AND we all have different tastes. SO... there will always be spirited debate here to that end. I dare say the record industry has the ball and they need to run with it. We do our part without doubt. They need to figure out their part to take this to the next level.

And about that Dennis Moore chap. The great Oscar Wild said:

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about. That is not being talked about."

If rumours & pre-order info from back in the day are to be believed, apparently..

SONY SACD:

Labelle - Nightbirds,
Byrds - Fifth Dimension,
Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Child Is Father To The Man,
Al Kooper - Supersession,
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,
Bob Dylan - a further 15 titles were planned for SACD by Sony (only some in MultiCh),
Janis Joplin - Pearl.

UNIVERSAL SACD:

The Killers - Hot Fuss,
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane,
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Rod Stewart - A Night On The Town,
Bread - Best Of Bread,
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger,
Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Madonna - Music,
Madonna - GHV2,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
A-Ha - Minor Earth, Major Sky,
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill,
Blues Brothers - OST,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
David Sanborn - Voyeur,
Don Henley - Inside Job,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken,
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus,
Joni Mitchell - Blue,
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark,
Joni Mitchell - Hejira,
Joni Mitchell - Ladies Of The Canyon,
Michael McDonald - The Voice Of,
Judy Collins - Wildflowers,
Todd Rundgren - Something Anything,
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (Self titled LP),
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled but unsure if any remixing done),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

Wow, some great tiles on that list. I'd be so happy to get the following:

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (If I could have only one new surround title for the rest of my life, this would be it)
Bowie - Low
RHCP - By the Way
CSNY - Deja Vu
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Any of the Steely Dans
Any of the Eltons, but Don't Shoot is at the top of my list

Wow, some great tiles on that list. I'd be so happy to get the following:

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (If I could have only one new surround title for the rest of my life, this would be it)
Bowie - Low
RHCP - By the Way
CSNY - Deja Vu
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Any of the Steely Dans
Any of the Eltons, but Don't Shoot is at the top of my list

RHCP By the way is a title which does not have ANY decent sounding versions. It is a 48 track recording, right? That would be great in 5.1 mastered by Steve.

I personally would be happy with 5.1 titles previously released being remastered; such as; Alice in Chain G. Hits, Staind 14 Shades, Nine inch nails Downward Spiral.

Steve just retweeted me regarding Alice in chains! Yes, we may get this one! G.Hits with nice 5.1 mixes but was ruined the first time around!!!!!! With Steve's mastering from the original tapes this could sound amazing!

SteveHoffmanTV: We will have at least 10 multichannel SACD's in the pipeline, remastered by me or Kevin Gray from AF. If successful, there will be more.

That is fantastic news! If the titles do happen to come from that master list there is very little on it I would not be excited about buying. I'll gladly purchase every one of them if it means more to come. it would be interesting to know if there is a magic number they are trying to hit.

SteveHoffmanTV: We will have at least 10 multichannel SACD's in the pipeline, remastered by me or Kevin Gray from AF. If successful, there will be more.

Great news! Kevin Gray mastered Elton's Rock of the Westies for AF a couple years back (it sounds terrific). I wonder if that bodes well or not for its multichannel release. Certainly the 'stereo only' crowd wouldn't buy it again.

As much as I would like to get those Al Kooper mixed titles, I do not think that they will set the world on fire. They are almost 50 years old, and their popularity was never great when they were new. Sure, they're worthy, but not to be the flagship release of a product.

Time will tell whether Audio Fidelity, Acoustic Sounds or Mobile Fidelity can get their hands on the famed Al Kooper 5.1 Multichannel tapes for release as Multichannel SACDs. I can say that when I heard about the Kooper 5.1 mixes awhile back, one industry insider (not connected with Audio Fidelity) told me that they had heard the albums and that the Kooper 5.1 album mixes were very well done and "deserve to be heard in Surround Sound".

So I'm definitely watching for these on a Hybrid Multichannel SACD some day. (Fingers crossed).

Another Tweet from Steve Hoffman
(not sure if this has been posted here yet?)...

"What to release, vintage Quad mixes in the vaults, plus unissued more recent attempts? But, the first few have to sell first, we'll see."

Another Tweet from Steve Hoffman
(not sure if this has been posted here yet?)...

"What to release, vintage Quad mixes in the vaults, plus unissued more recent attempts? But, the first few have to sell first, we'll see."

This is turning into a very expensive year for 5.1 addiction! ...........Yipee! :spot

Another Tweet from Steve Hoffman..

I'm liking your work over on Steve Hoffman forums FredBlue! I'm not signed up but you've provided some great info for the non-quads over there - and helped calm a few down...

AND, I particularly like your comment saying there are more Phil Collins 5.1 mixes hidden away. These would sound bloody amazing based AFs Gold CD releases (very dynamic).

Maybe we need some eighties 5.1 releases in that AF first surround batch? Phil Collins & Michael Jackson would get some attention I reckon!

Great to hear AF are planning to test the market with a minimum 10 titles! I wonder if they would also test the market with a BD-Audio version or two too?

I'm liking your work over on Steve Hoffman forums FredBlue! I'm not signed up but you've provided some great info for the non-quads over there - and helped calm a few down...

AND, I particularly like your comment saying there are more Phil Collins 5.1 mixes hidden away. These would sound bloody amazing based AFs Gold CD releases (very dynamic).

Maybe we need some eighties 5.1 releases in that AF first surround batch? Phil Collins & Michael Jackson would get some attention I reckon!

Great to hear AF are planning to test the market with a minimum 10 titles! I wonder if they would also test the market with a BD-Audio version or two too?

ah well, thanks for your kindness :) my take is we have to go all out to support AF in this.

It has the potential to transform 5.1 & Quads' fortunes for the foreseeable, if these succeed Surround will be too hard for the competition to ignore!

AF mean business and they have a great team of people there who are really using their loaves and not going into it blindly - a test out of at least 10 titles should do it, product of the high quality AF is accustomed to, backed up by promotion and good distribution, I call that a fair crack of the whip on its way to being a winner.

quite remarkable to see the level of interest in this over at the SHF.. but then us QQ-ers always knew there was a real demand (and a supply and demand problem!) :D

I can't see AF testing the waters with BD-A at this stage or anytime soon to be honest but perhaps down the line, who knows where this initiative could lead?

Have any titles & release dates been announced? Or is it just "stay tuned"? I haven't found any hard data & since I'm late to the party on this whole discussion, I wonder if there's something I've missed in my searching.

I'm hoping these are not going to be $50-100 boxed sets! I can't justify more than a handful of those that I already own or plan to buy. If SH/AF keeps these as single disc 5.1/4.0 SACD only and the titles are good ones, I'll buy them! Count on it!

I would take much of that list:

Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,

UNIVERSAL SACD:

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled but unsure if any remixing done),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

But where is my Fleetwood Mac's Tusk? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back