New SACD 5.1 from Audio Fidelity

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take much of that list:

Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,

UNIVERSAL SACD:

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled but unsure if any remixing done),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

But where is my Fleetwood Mac's Tusk? ;)

Lots more unreleased 5.1 (and Quad) beyond just those I listed (and Tusk!) stuck in the vaults I'm sure ;)

Have any titles & release dates been announced? Or is it just "stay tuned"? I haven't found any hard data & since I'm late to the party on this whole discussion, I wonder if there's something I've missed in my searching.

I'm hoping these are not going to be $50-100 boxed sets! I can't justify more than a handful of those that I already own or plan to buy. If SH/AF keeps these as single disc 5.1/4.0 SACD only and the titles are good ones, I'll buy them! Count on it!

Not yet.. Definitely stay tuned! (y)

I would take much of that list:

Michael Jackson - Thriller,
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew,
Boston - 1st album,

UNIVERSAL SACD:

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player,
Elton John - Caribou,
Elton John - Rock Of The Westies,
Elton John - Here and There,
Elton John - Blue Moves,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Katy Lied,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
OF COURSE A MUST: Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy.

WARNER DVD-A:

Chicago - X,
The Cars,
Deep Purple - Burn,
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975 album),
Stephen Stills - Stephen Stills (solo debut),
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Déja Vu,
Christopher Cross - Self titled Debut,
Faith No More - The Real Thing,
The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute,
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking,
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way,
Stone Temple Pilots - Shangri-La Dee Da,
Rush - Vapor Trails.

EMI/Virgin SACD/DVD-A:

David Bowie - Low,
Beach Boys - Surf's Up,
Queen - A Day At The Races (afaik tapes were pulled but unsure if any remixing done),
Phil Collins - No Jacket Required.

But where is my Fleetwood Mac's Tusk? ;)

Vapor Trails really seems like something we could expect from AF, since they're really into Rush.

Steve Hoffman announced on Twitter earlier today that he will be at The Show - Newport Beach on Saturday. He invites music friends to stop and chat if they spot him in the hallways at the show!

Steve Hoffman.jpg
Steve Hoffman
@SteveHoffmanTV
Those of you going to @HomeEntShow this weekend, I'll be there on SATURDAY, Hilton all day. If you see me, come on up, don't be shy!

https://twitter.com/SteveHoffmanTV/status/471713298367266816

Looks like he's combing his hair now. How about that. A huge improvement.

I remember reading about several albums mixed in Quad but never released
They included - Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing: Frank Sinatra (2 titles):

5.1 mixes also mentioned at the time of DVD-A releases included:- Saturday Night Fever o/st; several of Madonnas early albums;
Tracey Chapman; Heart - Dreamboat Annie; Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs...: (The) Cars; B 52's - Cosmic Thing; Joni Mitchell - Blue;
Funkadelic - One Nation...; Quincy Jones - Ultimate...: E.T. - o/st;

I wrote these in a notebook when they were mentioned as "coming soon" - But I wrote them in pencil and over the years obviously
these notes have faded.... And there are many more.

Also maybe the ABBA SQ encoded music and all of the film soundtracks that were encoded in Dolby Surround could also be viable
issues.

All the best

Marc

I remember reading about several albums mixed in Quad but never released
They included - Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing: Frank Sinatra (2 titles):

5.1 mixes also mentioned at the time of DVD-A releases included:- Saturday Night Fever o/st; several of Madonnas early albums;
Tracey Chapman; Heart - Dreamboat Annie; Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs...: (The) Cars; B 52's - Cosmic Thing; Joni Mitchell - Blue;
Funkadelic - One Nation...; Quincy Jones - Ultimate...: E.T. - o/st;

I wrote these in a notebook when they were mentioned as "coming soon" - But I wrote them in pencil and over the years obviously
these notes have faded.... And there are many more.

Also maybe the ABBA SQ encoded music and all of the film soundtracks that were encoded in Dolby Surround could also be viable
issues.

All the best

Marc

Saturday night fever and Funkadelic :banana: I would sell some clothes on Ebay to fund those! I want Funkadelic in 5.1 due to the production style. The whole catalog would be great in 5.1

E.T is already out. VERY POOR 5.1, next to nothing in rears.

"Also maybe the ABBA SQ encoded music and .....................could also be viable issues." More from a curiosity standpoint than as a fan, though there is a certain background nationality loyalty factor...... what ABBA music was ever SQ encoded? I've been around the quad world a few years/decades and I don't recall ever hearing of that. Not to say it's false, I just don't recall that claim anywhere before. John

OK we have to support this even if it is a title we do not want. Investment for future titles!
I'm sorry. I will not buy something I don't like just on the off chance they do release something I do like in the future. I will be supportive of titles that interest me. I own enough music already that I love that collects dust!

I'm sorry. I will not buy something I don't like just on the off chance they do release something I do like in the future. I will be supportive of titles that interest me. I own enough music already that I love that collects dust!

Yeah Understandable there - Money is Money...........I am going to try my best to pick up most if not all of these releases (funds available of course).

But........ on the odd chance they release something like "The Best Of The Banana Splits" on 5.1 SACD, although I would be tempted (used to love them) :rolleyes:......... I would have to bow out.

From the lists people have been throwing out there of who or what might be released, I have only seen 2 or 3 titles where I would have to maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe yeah stay away from..........willing to bite on most of them, but there are still just a couple groups I dislike enough to stay away.

It would have been enlightening for the multichannel community if these purportedly "audiophile" releases did not have forced factory-bass-management (the .1)

Last edited:
"But........ on the odd chance they release something like "The Best Of The Banana Splits" on 5.1 SACD, although I would be tempted (used to love them) ......... I would have to bow out."

Ha ha! I loved their theme song! That might be a tough call passing on some 5.1 remastered Banana Splits. Knowing Hoffman, we'll probably see yet another Monkees collection. :banana: Bonus tracks featuring a flat transfer of Mickey's early drum outtakes.

I am following the thread on Hoffman with interest, I started at the beginning and read through all 36 pages !

I mainly wanted to see what types post there and thought this will be the thread in which all the 5.1 detractors come out and post.

But it got real interesting when Hoffman himself appeared on page 35 to knock the 2 channel whiners (including himself) then the thread tone changed somewhat, a point he again notes in a later post.

Now he is actively involved in such a project has he changed his tone and will his faithful have to love 5.1 now ?

Or am I just suffering exhaustion delusions ?

I am following the thread on Hoffman with interest, I started at the beginning and read through all 36 pages !

I mainly wanted to see what types post there and thought this will be the thread in which all the 5.1 detractors come out and post.

But it got real interesting when Hoffman himself appeared on page 35 to knock the 2 channel whiners (including himself) then the thread tone changed somewhat, a point he again notes in a later post.

Now he is actively involved in such a project has he changed his tone and will his faithful have to love 5.1 now ?

Or am I just suffering exhaustion delusions ?
Reading through the last few pages today it seems to me there is a bitter tone in his comments. A begrudging acceptance of 5.1.

Started from first page, but alllllllllllllllllllllllllll 37??? Oh Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! :banana:

Hey Snood! I'll race ya to page 37!

Vibes, Snood must confess.........started thru first 5 pages then whoooooosh somehow unbeknownst to me, while I was in the bathroom the internet wind blew the pages forward, when I got back from the bathroom it was page 33 and I did not notice. ...........and uh yeah it wasn't my fault it was the internet wind!!!! That's my story and I am sticking to it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back