Newbie Advice on Quad Reciever and R2R

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input. Since I'm a Newbie to all of this, could you educate me on 1) what 5.1 is referring to?, and secondly 2) what oop music is?

Thanks for taking the time to bring me up to speed.

5.1 (4 speakers n 1 subwoofer) 5.1 set up

Oop = out of print....rare hard to find n damn expensive...ouch my empty wallet :)

Ex moody blues sacd...aretha Franklin dvda

OOP means out of print. 5.1 means 5 full range speakers and 1 subwoofer. I use my universal player to downmix to 4.0 (quad) for my Sansui and JVC receivers. This essentially puts the front center channel across the front speakers and sends the bass full range to all speakers.
Thanks much.

Just a (hopefully short enough) comment on surround channel formats:

2.0 is 2 full range speakers (starting simple here)
4.0 is 4 full range speakers
5.1 is 5 full range speakers + an additional bass only channel

This is important. When you get a recording in one of those formats, The sound in each channel expects those speakers.
In 5.1 for example, there are 5 channels of full range (meaning full audio spectrum from high to low) and 1 additional channel for bass only.

Here's where it can get complex:
It turns out that we can use a different "trimmed down" speaker array in smaller rooms for efficiency.
The most popular/common "trimmed down" array for reproducing 5.1 content is using 5 midrange and high end only (no bass) speakers for the 5 main channels and then the bass only speaker (subwoofer).
Because the signals in the wires expect 5 full range speakers + a sub, you need to alter it for this 'small tops' setup! This is called speaker management. (Sometimes bass management.)
You literally need to remove all the low frequency content from the 5 main channels and mix it together along with the original .1 channel bass content and send ALL of that to the sub.
Some surround receivers and computer media players have these speaker management features built-in.

This "trimmed down" array is SO popular that there is a common misconception about 5.1 surround that the format is actually only mids and highs in the main channels and all bass in the sub channel. And this is NOT correct! This actually leads to people (no one around this forum obviously) listening to their surround content with serious imbalance. I've seen people stubbornly avoid the speaker management controls - thinking they were being purist - with a small top array that truly needs them. The result is not being to hear ANY of the bass content from the main channels. (Perhaps you've seen an isolated review of a surround album with claims of being bass shy when it truly isn't. Very likely what's going on with that.)

You can do other speaker management configurations too.
5.1 on a full 4.0 speaker array: Redirect both the C and Lfe channels to both front channels of the 4.0 array.
4.0 on a 'small top' 5.1 array: Remove all bass content from the 4 main channels and redirect it to the Lfe channel.
4.0 on a full 5.1 system is 1:1 and the C and Lfe channels simply stay silent.
back to 'simple' stereo again:
2.0 on a small top 2.1 speaker array: Remove all bass content from the 2 main channels and redirect it to the Lfe channel.

The small top arrays are common because it is efficient and bass is omni-directional. When this is calibrated properly, there is literally no difference in the sound you hear from the bass content coming out of some of the main speakers vs the sub.

I think I failed on the 'short' part but hope that helps!

Just a (hopefully short enough) comment on surround channel formats:

2.0 is 2 full range speakers (starting simple here)
4.0 is 4 full range speakers
5.1 is 5 full range speakers + an additional bass only channel

This is important. When you get a recording in one of those formats, The sound in each channel expects those speakers.
In 5.1 for example, there are 5 channels of full range (meaning full audio spectrum from high to low) and 1 additional channel for bass only.

Here's where it can get complex:
It turns out that we can use a different "trimmed down" speaker array in smaller rooms for efficiency.
The most popular/common "trimmed down" array for reproducing 5.1 content is using 5 midrange and high end only (no bass) speakers for the 5 main channels and then the bass only speaker (subwoofer).
Because the signals in the wires expect 5 full range speakers + a sub, you need to alter it for this 'small tops' setup! This is called speaker management. (Sometimes bass management.)
You literally need to remove all the low frequency content from the 5 main channels and mix it together along with the original .1 channel bass content and send ALL of that to the sub.
Some surround receivers and computer media players have these speaker management features built-in.

This "trimmed down" array is SO popular that there is a common misconception about 5.1 surround that the format is actually only mids and highs in the main channels and all bass in the sub channel. And this is NOT correct! This actually leads to people (no one around this forum obviously) listening to their surround content with serious imbalance. I've seen people stubbornly avoid the speaker management controls - thinking they were being purist - with a small top array that truly needs them. The result is not being to hear ANY of the bass content from the main channels. (Perhaps you've seen an isolated review of a surround album with claims of being bass shy when it truly isn't. Very likely what's going on with that.)

You can do other speaker management configurations too.
5.1 on a full 4.0 speaker array: Redirect both the C and Lfe channels to both front channels of the 4.0 array.
4.0 on a 'small top' 5.1 array: Remove all bass content from the 4 main channels and redirect it to the Lfe channel.
4.0 on a full 5.1 system is 1:1 and the C and Lfe channels simply stay silent.
back to 'simple' stereo again:
2.0 on a small top 2.1 speaker array: Remove all bass content from the 2 main channels and redirect it to the Lfe channel.

The small top arrays are common because it is efficient and bass is omni-directional. When this is calibrated properly, there is literally no difference in the sound you hear from the bass content coming out of some of the main speakers vs the sub.

I think I failed on the 'short' part but hope that helps!
Thanks for walking me through the info above. Now, I just need to sit back and try to absorb as much of it as I can.

Thanks for walking me through the info above. Now, I just need to sit back and try to absorb as much of it as I can.
You're welcome dsk3331.

Trying to illustrate how there really isn't any old vs new in some ways. If you have a 5.1 system (either 1:1 with 5 full range speakers or speaker managed with alternate choices as noted above), you can listen to any of the surround mixes as the artist intended you to hear them. From quad mixes in the '70s to modern 5.1 mixes. And of course 2.0 stereo still works.

I am mostly a vintage equip guy. So my suggestion is a QRX 6001 or 7001. They have very good decoders (QS, SQ, CD-4) all in one unit . No need for addons. But remember, they are vintage. Look for one that has been refurbished if possible.

I am mostly a vintage equip guy. So my suggestion is a QRX 6001 or 7001. They have very good decoders (QS, SQ, CD-4) all in one unit . No need for addons. But remember, they are vintage. Look for one that has been refurbished if possible.
You know rawmacias, I have also been fascinated with, and considering a refurbished Sansui, from the QRX 6001-9001 series.
I'd like to know what kinds of prices to expect to pay (reasonable current price) for these models if you're up on that?
I also found a QRX 8001; what ablout that model: here on eBay.

You know rawmacias, I have also been fascinated with, and considering a refurbished Sansui, from the QRX 6001-9001 series.
I'd like to know what kinds of prices to expect to pay (reasonable current price) for these models if you're up on that?
Yes: I would also be interested in the same

Ok, here goes ! First , this is my personal experience and things are very fluid on these receivers. In the last five years I have purchased all five QRX -001 models multiple times each. Only one had been refurbished to a small extent and that was a 9001 . I purchased it just about three wks ago for $850 (asking price was near a grand). The other 9001 I have I purchased for $750 , but it needed work. Got it refurbished at QRXRestore for a good sum . The two 8001's I bought about 4 years ago for about $400. One 8001 had led's installed. Both work fine. I have 3 7001's . Two bought for around $350+-. All work. One of the 7001's was my first quad receiver which I purchased around five years ago for $150 and it still plays fine. My two 600l's bought for around $300+- and play well. The lone 500l , I don't recall off the cuff how much it was. WEW !

Oh yeah , the 7001, 8001, 9001 are supposed to have the same decoders . The difference is in the power output. So , I would look at a 7001 if your budget is $400. I know I got very good deals on the 8001's back then. And now they are quite a bit higher.

Ok, here goes ! First , this is my personal experience and things are very fluid on these receivers. In the last five years I have purchased all five QRX -001 models multiple times each. Only one had been refurbished to a small extent and that was a 9001 . I purchased it just about three wks ago for $850 (asking price was near a grand). The other 9001 I have I purchased for $750 , but it needed work. Got it refurbished at QRXRestore for a good sum . The two 8001's I bought about 4 years ago for about $400. One 8001 had led's installed. Both work fine. I have 3 7001's . Two bought for around $350+-. All work. One of the 7001's was my first quad receiver which I purchased around five years ago for $150 and it still plays fine. My two 600l's bought for around $300+- and play well. The lone 500l , I don't recall off the cuff how much it was. WEW !

Those prices are actually lower than I thought they'd be, they're probably good deals I'd assume? Of course I don't know what it costs to refurbish; and would be dependent on the level of work required.
Do you know if QRXRestore sells refurbished units?
Also, looking at the back panels of these units, do they accommodate 4 discrete ins, say for a Quad Reel to Reel?
Much thanks rawmacias - you're awesome!!!

Those prices are actually lower than I thought they'd be, they're probably good deals I'd assume? Of course I don't know what it costs to refurbish; and would be dependent on the level of work required.
Do you know if QRXRestore sells refurbished units?
Also, looking at the back panels of these units, do they accommodate 4 discrete ins, say for a Quad Reel to Reel?
Much thanks rawmacias - you're awesome!!!
Yes , they were good deals . Minus my first buy, I had to dicker for a good price , for sure! Refurbishing can be expensive. I have only refurbished a 9001 and it went over $2000. And , yes , it depends on what you do to it.

I think QRXRestore does sell them , but not often.

The units do have discrete inputs . I have a quad RR and a quad 8 track plugged in to my 7001. My refurbished 9001 is coming in tomorrow and will become my main receiver . That is why I was willing to pay that refurb price.

Attachments

• 20190702_112802.jpg
    20190702_112802.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 135
Yes , they were good deals . Minus my first buy, I had to dicker for a good price , for sure! Refurbishing can be expensive. I have only refurbished a 9001 and it went over $2000. And , yes , it depends on what you do to it.

I think QRXRestore does sell them , but not often.

The units do have discrete inputs . I have a quad RR and a quad 8 track plugged in to my 7001. My refurbished 9001 is coming in tomorrow and will become my main receiver . That is why I was willing to pay that refurb price.
Sweeeeet set-up!

I might actually be able to afford one. Good information ; thanks so much
I have seen quite a few Sansui QRX stuff in Florida and Texas. Check those areas . Take your time and you will find something. Even when the seller does not want to ship , you can sometimes convince them . I have done that a few times. Good luck !

Back