Newest ATV is lacking in build quality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Career film editor here, and I always wondered why the Atv did not use a wall wart power supply. I mean, I know *why* (Steve/Jonny Ive), but I did not know that they were mitigating all that RF with a hunk of metal. RF can really mess things up....

As for HDMI, I lack the technical expertise to weigh in on whether or not it is broken, and what solutions would be cost-effective. I have what I would call a "nice" home setup, but not an amazing one. Not sure what I would gain from an modded Atv at any price. After all, I am an editor, not a producer :cool: . Maybe If I saw/heard an A/B comparison I could form an opinion, but otherwise I am going to be happy with what I have.
I am not one of those who believes in "the rest of your system needs to be higher resolution to hear the difference" theory. Once you hit a reasonable level in audio, you can hear true differences just fine, even small ones. Without a valid A/B comparison, all claims are just opinionated talk. An A/B test can reveal any difference, help determine which selection you prefer (sometimes "the upgrade", isn't), and also help determine the perceived magnitude of the difference. From there you can decide if it's worth the asking price. Many times it's not.

Career film editor here, and I always wondered why the Atv did not use a wall wart power supply. I mean, I know *why* (Steve/Jonny Ive), but I did not know that they were mitigating all that RF with a hunk of metal. RF can really mess things up....
One of the reasons I bought an Apple TV 4K is because it doesn't have a wall wart, I hate the things. In addition to being just plain ugly, I have space problems behind my rack. One of the things I do is buy special mains plugs that will take up to 4 mains leads so I don't need power blocks with rows of sockets since in the UK those take up a lot of space. A wall wart denies me the ability to put the mains into my multi way plugs.

I am not one of those who believes in "the rest of your system needs to be higher resolution to hear the difference" theory. Once you hit a reasonable level in audio, you can hear true differences just fine, even small ones. Without a valid A/B comparison, all claims are just opinionated talk. An A/B test can reveal any difference, help determine which selection you prefer (sometimes "the upgrade", isn't), and also help determine the perceived magnitude of the difference. From there you can decide if it's worth the asking price. Many times it's not.
I agree. And you have to test for yourself you can’t rely on someone else’s opinion, bias, or system. And I find just living with a change in your system for sometime and relaxing, is important as opposed to instant ABing.

Grab a A2169. Its most likely the best streaming device of this whole dedicated streaming box era.
OK, You hooked me, I just grabbed what's promised to be a brand new 64gb 2169 off ebay for $110 shipped. I've been using a early A1842 32gb with that danged touch-pad remote for a few years now.
No real problem with the sound/picture quality of anything, but a lot of frustration with the unit being slow and buggy in the menus, the JUNK remote, other. Been thinking for a while now of updating to a 64gb model in hopes of improved UI performance. If I can believe the things in this video and thread this should be an end-of-line product, fingers crossed.
2169tag.jpg

my fist gen apple tG4’s crashes recently playing Apple Music. Anyone else experienced this?
A couple times now but it will also temp freeze if I span menus too fast, etc.
Hoping all that will be behind me now.
Don't know why I put up with the issues of this early 1st gen box, considering the cost of my system, what's another $100 ?

Interesting. I was using optical hdmi cables and noticed a difference in the picture quality. Unfortunately, they started to fail after a time and now are priced way too high. So, now I just use Amazon Branded cables.
Monoprice has them very reasonably. I had a 50' in the system for a couple years that got killed by a lightning strike (along with my computer and Marantz 7703 HDMI inputs, others). They actually replaced it under warranty, though I didn't tell them it was hit by lightning.

EVERYBODY thinks bits are bits.. But there is CLEARLY more to this. Sorta like digital audio. Sure your bits are the same, but, jitter is a well established issue that changes sound quality,,, even tho the bits are the same.
And they are, here's where you and I are parting ways. There's no science behind your claimed "magic". Please supply the results of scientifically, bias controlled and overseen DBT testing.
One of the reasons I bought an Apple TV 4K is because it doesn't have a wall wart, I hate the things.
AMEN, We just had 6 units burned to the ground in our community due to one bursting into flames. (cell phone charger).The owner was home and saw it but things got out of control before he could get it out. Since then they scare the hell out of me but in the end it's a possibility for anything plugged in the wall. I hate to think of how many warts are running around my place.

8K is four times the resolution of 4K but I doubt you’ll see a difference in that high a resolution.
Hence my remark about not something I personally need. Maybe if I had a 200 inch screen. Nah. As it stands 4K is OK for me. Not opposed to new developments in either video or audio, however.

The OP made a comment about there being no 8K in use, I believe, but isn't that being done for subscribers in Japan?
Ah, found something:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/8k-channel-launched-japan-1173134/
Not on a big scale, but exists. Not something I personally need.
"However, the scientists at NHK’s research lab have another trick up their sleeve. They have for years been working on an integral 3D system, which doesn’t require special glasses and will allows images to be seen from varying angles depending on the position of the viewer. It may be ready by 2030."

OH BOY, I can't wait. NOT. LOL
How many times are they going to try and push 3D on an audience that just doesn't care?

"However, the scientists at NHK’s research lab have another trick up their sleeve. They have for years been working on an integral 3D system, which doesn’t require special glasses and will allows images to be seen from varying angles depending on the position of the viewer. It may be ready by 2030."

OH BOY, I can't wait. NOT. LOL
How many times are they going to try and push 3D on an audience that just doesn't care?
Well we have no idea what sorts of technologies will be integrated into systems in 2030, nor what people will like. I just want to be around to see.

I would like to see the OP's studies and proof on reducing jitter in HDMI by 1000. Mind you, I have no dog in this hunt on ATV devices.
I have no bias against the OP. I do know I read some of the thread on the referred site, and quit at disc playing causes wobbles in the bitstream.
Jitter has been omnipresent in so many reviews and opinions for years. It's stated that it's not a problem for most by the OP. But if only we spend mega money on our sound systems, and hear as well as him, maybe we plebeians can hear it also.
Seems self defeating for your average person. But that's not what we're talking about here, are we?
I will humbly bow out, and by all means carry on.

You could say the same thing about surround sound. Four didn't make it, so lets try 5.1, then 6.1 then 7.1 now lets double down with full blown Atmos! The more speakers that people have to buy the easier it will sell, NOT.

Actually 3D without glasses might actually work with the public. I would be all in for sure. The glasses were what kept 3D as little more than a novelty. Still (the same as with Quad) I'm a bit put off by an industry that promotes something one day and then drops it the next!

Last edited:
OK, You hooked me, I just grabbed what's promised to be a brand new 64gb 2169 off ebay for $110 shipped. I've been using a early A1842 32gb with that danged touch-pad remote for a few years now.
No real problem with the sound/picture quality of anything, but a lot of frustration with the unit being slow and buggy in the menus, the JUNK remote, other. Been thinking for a while now of updating to a 64gb model in hopes of improved UI performance. If I can believe the things in this video and thread this should be an end-of-line product, fingers crossed.
View attachment 100328

A couple times now but it will also temp freeze if I span menus too fast, etc.
Hoping all that will be behind me now.
Don't know why I put up with the issues of this early 1st gen box, considering the cost of my system, what's another $100 ?

Monoprice has them very reasonably. I had a 50' in the system for a couple years that got killed by a lightning strike (along with my computer and Marantz 7703 HDMI inputs, others). They actually replaced it under warranty, though I didn't tell them it was hit by lightning.

And they are, here's where you and I are parting ways. There's no science behind your claimed "magic". Please supply the results of scientifically, bias controlled and overseen DBT testing.

AMEN, We just had 6 units burned to the ground in our community due to one bursting into flames. (cell phone charger).The owner was home and saw it but things got out of control before he could get it out. Since then they scare the hell out of me but in the end it's a possibility for anything plugged in the wall. I hate to think of how many warts are running around my place.
I went ahead and snagged one from eBay as well. I currently have a 1st Gen and a 3rd Gen in my media room and living room, respectively. I'm not sure if I'll immediately replace one of those with the 2nd Gen or just keep it as a backup if either of the others fails/degrades.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed in this thread is the improvement in the processor from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen. Whether that makes much difference in most of our usage is as debatable as whether "build quality" or potential mods do.

I went ahead and snagged one from eBay as well. I currently have a 1st Gen and a 3rd Gen in my media room and living room, respectively. I'm not sure if I'll immediately replace one of those with the 2nd Gen or just keep it as a backup if either of the others fails/degrades.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed in this thread is the improvement in the processor from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen. Whether that makes much difference in most of our usage is as debatable as whether "build quality" or potential mods do.
At least with higher build quality you know you are getting something for the money, audible or not. Back in the day, one way to judge the quality of an amp was it's weight, assuming all else was equal.

Yowza! Wasn't that deadly boat fire in California a few years ago caused by a wallwart charger too?

I keep all mine on powerbars with a switch after reading about that.

Re: older ATV versions, how has Apple been with legacy support for those things? I'd be concerned about deliberate obsolescence in the future.

Re: older ATV versions, how has Apple been with legacy support for those things? I'd be concerned about deliberate obsolescence in the future.
Apple are way better at supporting older versions than TV manufacturers are at supporting the streaming apps in smart TVs. My Sony smart TV became a dumb TV after only 5 years.

You could say the same thing about surround sound. Four didn't make so lets try 5.1, then 6.1 then 7.1 now lets double down with full blown Atmos! The more speakers that people have to buy the easier it will sell, NOT.

Actually 3D without glasses might actually work with the public. I would be all in for sure. The glasses were what kept 3D as little more than a novelty. Still (the same as with Quad) I'm a bit put off by an industry that promotes something one day and then drops it the next!
I’ve been in love with 3D since I first looked into a View-Master. When I started building my theater, I deliberately bought a 3D set, and I’m keeping it until it dies or until I can find a 3D 4K panel. Glasses are a little twitchy, but when it all works, it’s magic. Not all 3D movies are great cinema, but the ones that are - WOW!

Alas, many tech “innovations” have ended up being little more than fads once all is said and done. The old quad records being one of them.

One way to silence a fan is to send the air through ducts with soft internal surfaces.

Back