Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer if they could not have found early takes of Dogs, Sheep, You Gotta Be Crazy, etc. no live stuff at all, no videos, no nothing that could have propped up this into a slim box set?

If they don't do an expanded box it's not because they didn't want to. We know they like the cash that comes from big expensive purchases.

Oh well, the main thing is PF holdings corporation know that we like surround. And we like vintage quad too.

Bummer if they could not have found early takes of Dogs, Sheep, You Gotta Be Crazy, etc. no live stuff at all, no videos, no nothing that could have propped up this into a slim box set?

If they don't do an expanded box it's not because they didn't want to. We know they like the cash that comes from big expensive purchases.

Oh well, the main thing is PF holdings corporation know that we like surround. And we like vintage quad too.

Oh, they certainly could have. We share/trade some of this stuff as fans. They likely still have at least cassettes of rough working mixes like the ones that makes the rounds from both WYWH and Animals sessions. The '76 session is all the Animals tracks in the earlier '74 tour arrangements. Obviously they at least have a generational cassette in as good of shape as literally the one I worked on as a fan a while back. They have their cassette board tapes from the '77 tour. There should be a good chance they still have their quad fx reel they prepared for the tour. If I can put together as complete of a show with decent fidelity and discrete surround presentation from just audience recordings, they should be able to top that with the addition of their cassette sources and knock it out of the park.

Some of this might be fiddly work... But weren't these guys known for their cutting edge audio work to begin with? Seems like something they should be all over.

But no, we have this weird hoarding mentality with camp Pink Floyd! You can't even buy their studio albums in HD (besides Dark Side and WYWH and the quad edition of AHM as part of an expensive retrospective box set). They'll tease little bits. Sometimes release things only in reduced quality. Just the most extreme example of the marketing driven "milk it as though there's nothing left after this" mentality (even though that's far from the case) in the industry. They're greedy and like their cash alright but they're apparently just not considering a business model of actually releasing stuff people want to hear. It's got to be all bait and switch because "that's how you do business" or somesuch.

On the band's Facebook page today they posted:

What are your Floyd related hopes for the coming year?

Needless to say I responded 5.1 mixes of the remaining albums. (And the video of the original Wall concerts!) Do they pay attention to these things? Probably not. But who knows, maybe if they see a ton of replies asking for more 5.1, that might motivate them in that direction. Go there and reply. It can't hurt!

And just maybe this Nick Mason tour might shake things up and make any of the more stubborn folks involved realize that offering some of this stuff for sale (in full quality, no bait and switch shenanigans) just might be a thing to do? I sense there was some genuine surprise on the inside to just how much this tour would be embraced by fans. :)

I don't think it's a "bait and switch " business model at all. I'm happy with the sound of all my PF releases from the Shine On box to present. Never saw any bad lossy, and never was promised something and then not gotten it. Even Meddle 5.1 was given out as a big bonus track if you knew how to find it. Somebody in the mastering / authoring stage had mercy on us fans and let that track stay in the assets folder when it was deleted from the menu link. How sweet!!!

I love the live mid 70s material on the Immersion sets
I love the early mix of Dark Side on the Immersion sets
Blown away by outtake material from WYWH on the Immersion sets
Great that we did get Quad AHM on the Early Years set
Love that we got not only newly mixed 5.1, but the 70s quad mixes of DSOTM & WYWH in the Immersion sets
Love the Meddle 5.1 bonus track on Early Years

I guess I just see it differently than everyone else. But that is kinda the norm, I never have been that much in agreement, always dancing to the beat of my own drummer.

And my glass is 52% full!!!!

I don't think that they were board tapes, Jim but rather open air recordings.
I remember talk about that and in hindsight (of listening to the remains of the fragments that we trade), that sounds right. I remember trying to figure out why those "soundboard" recordings had so much open air stage sound! (Mind you, the "trying to figure out" part is trying to listen intently to the distorted remains of this stuff and speculate on what the heck is going on...)

Anyway...
If I had had those cassettes on deck for the quad project... well, it would have turned out better and more complete wouldn't it! They could do this. They have the studio dream team. Are they really going to let this fan made document stand?

jimfisheye, you did an impressive job with both, the quad and stereo versions of the tour. If that’s the only document we will ever get from that tour I can consider myself satisfied (y)

But recorded from a sweet spot with a decent mic (not like my Tampa 77 tapes), they might be better than Oakland, Toronto, and even Berlin.
Tampa. A bunch of my friends and I hung out at the goalpost. Although memories are fading, I remember that at the time and for many years thought it to be the best concert I ever went to.
I can still imagine hearing "Dogs" making their way around the PA's set up in the stadium.

Tampa. A bunch of my friends and I hung out at the goalpost. Although memories are fading, I remember that at the time and for many years thought it to be the best concert I ever went to.
I can still imagine hearing "Dogs" making their way around the PA's set up in the stadium.
I remember it like it was yesterday - and yes, just about the best concert I'd been to up to that point.

I recall staring at the band watching them work through WYWH in its entirety. Which I thought was an impossible album to pull off live, especially the intro to "Have a Cigar". Then to see Dave bash it out on his guitar, sounding a lot like Steve Howe's playing on the guitar break on "Your's is no Disgrace" - that trebally screech with a touch of wah-wah, I was in teenage concert heaven for sure.

So glad I got to see "Close to the Edge" & Wish You Were Here" complete Albums played by classic lineups back in the 70s. And oh yeah, Animals was fine too.

My 77 cassettes are not so hot. For years there was a partially complete show in trading circles - mine (uncirculated) being the only complete set. I think another Tampa recording has since surfaced that is complete.

I'm guessing The Wall will see it's 40th anniversary next year? 5.1 mix was completed a few years back if I remember correctly?

Back