Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever it’s 100% official (like when we get an official press announcement and preorder) then I’ll be glad to move it to a more appropriate section, but until then, anything can happen, right? :oops:
Okay, you're the boss. But this release is no longer a rumor when it starts showing up in distributor's lists. The only thing in question is the release date.

I didn't see this mentioned in any posts since July, but I came across this article a few weeks ago while "searching desperately" for any factual word about the progress of the Animals 5.1 release.
Sorry if this turns out to be already posted.

Nick Mason's comment on gathering material for Animals remaster

"Nick Mason says plans to remaster Pink Floyd's 1977 album Animals have apparently hit a bit of a snag. Archivists are struggling to find additional material to complete the set."

"Lots of rare Pink Floyd nuggets like the unreleased 1967 single "Scream Thy Last Scream / Vegetable Man" finally found a home on 2016's The Early Years 1965-1972, and there apparently isn't much left in the vaults. Asked by Rolling Stone if the Animals reissue would include unearthed concert recordings, Mason laughed and said: "Not that we can think of – but we'll keep looking."

When the Immersion boxed sets were done, I bet no one in the band thought they would be doing an Animals release, otherwise they may have held back on using Wembly "Animals" performances
in the WYWH box. Roger's realization of how poignant the themes and emotions of Animals are to today's times, how it had some theme similarity to his recent solo album, and his celebrating Animals
so prominently in his recent tour, probably helped in reconsidering the album for such a release. It always seemed to me like a forgotten album, sandwiched between (and overshadowed by) WYWH
and The Wall.

Okay, you're the boss. But this release is no longer a rumor when it starts showing up in distributor's lists. The only thing in question is the release date.

Hopefully that's the case....but....the 5.1 stuff that got pulled last minute (OBC, Meddle) from the last sets = proceed with caution this time.

Hopefully that's the case....but....the 5.1 stuff that got pulled last minute (OBC, Meddle) from the last sets = proceed with caution this time.

I feel better this time, cause last time, those 5.1 mixes were pulled (kind of) because Roger had not had the opportunity to approve the mixes before release.
This time, Roger has openly mentioned the 5.1 mix in an interview so I feel pretty confident that it will be released at some point, hopefully later this year!

:)

I feel better this time, cause last time, those 5.1 mixes were pulled (kind of) because Roger had not had the opportunity to approve the mixes before release.
This time, Roger has openly mentioned the 5.1 mix in an interview so I feel pretty confident that it will be released at some point, hopefully later this year!

:)
Me too, I really want this one, and it looks so positive...just don't want a let down. One of those rare ones that I'll pony up to buy even if it means plastic inflatable pigs in a pig-shaped box.

(slaps head - don't give them any ideas!)

It's up on Yeeshkul
http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthrea...-1977-North-American-Tour-24-96-4-0-QUAD-FLAC
(Other formats too.)

I don't have it up in a private share anywhere at the moment. Let me know if you can't deal with the ratio hit and I'll see what I can do.

The May 9 show is also up on Yeeshkul from the original cassette transferred to DSD (along with copies converted to 24/96 PCM). Was the source for some of the tracks on the Best of Tour project. That WV seems to be all about stepped on, lossy, and incomplete recordings. Not down with that. (The "Look what I have but I'm only giving you a mp3 and missing one of the songs." bit.)

I'd still like to think this sets the bar a little and rattles their cage to include something live and well presented (that means a live surround mix). They can't very well just release a couple snippets on a CD with something like this being shared among fans right?

Last edited:
They have this show, the complete one. WV has the incomplete version (which wasn't recorded by Bill Graham, FYI).

Do you know offhand if more than one recording exists of that show? The various versions you released are brilliant, but I know (or believe) it was necessary to patch here and there. I've also never heard a version that has Roger's comment to the effect that it was the only time on the tour that people actually listened. I think he said that before "Us and Them", but a bit over 41 years later I'm not sure. It seems like every version I've ever heard ultimately goes back to the same taper.

In my dreams there's a complete multitrack soundboard. Sigh.

Do you know offhand if more than one recording exists of that show? The various versions you released are brilliant, but I know (or believe) it was necessary to patch here and there. I've also never heard a version that has Roger's comment to the effect that it was the only time on the tour that people actually listened. I think he said that before "Us and Them", but a bit over 41 years later I'm not sure. It seems like every version I've ever heard ultimately goes back to the same taper.

In my dreams there's a complete multitrack soundboard. Sigh.
No other recorders at this show have ever surfaced. I REALLY would have liked to have a recording from further back in the venue for this one to restore the live panning in parts. Oh well!

The July 2 show has two recorders that capture a lot of the live surround panning between them. Some songs from this show are featured on the Best of 77 Tour project. Money is a wild ride with gratuitous 360 deg panning in the guitar solo.
The May 9 show songs ARE supported by the restored quad tape fx. But the live surround panned solos fade into the distance when they pan to the back of the venue for these songs.
If you're interested in any of that.

What do you think of this? At least close to the dream?

Back