Pioneer DV-563A firmware campaign

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey you guys disagree about which month...& its a big difference...if im gonna do the best buy switch i need to be sure...rstamberg says after 2/04 & cwellock says 1/04...the units in BB say 1/04...are we sure they will work?

jph1207 said:
hey you guys disagree about which month...& its a big difference...if im gonna do the best buy switch i need to be sure...rstamberg says after 2/04 & cwellock says 1/04...the units in BB say 1/04...are we sure they will work?
The player I got is from January 2004, and I've checked the firmware version-it's the latest one. I was just at Best Buy yesterday, and all the players there (at least at that store I checked) had January 2004 dates. They've also marked them down to $139.99. What have you got to lose?

cwellock said:
The player I got is from January 2004, and I've checked the firmware version-it's the latest one. I was just at Best Buy yesterday, and all the players there (at least at that store I checked) had January 2004 dates. They've also marked them down to $139.99. What have you got to lose?

A friend of mine just bought one at BB that had a Jan 04 date and it has the updated firmware also. Maybe they got them upgraded before shipping to the stores?

KW

Well I just got my 563a back from Markham service center. Everything seems to work properly so I guess I'll also sign off this very long thread.
Thanks to all who gave their story.
Later

Nova74 said:
I say everyone goes and buys a New 563a from Best Buy, sticks the old 563a in the box and takes it back for a refund to Best Buy.
Then if they ask why, tell them it doesn't work.
Screw sending my player back for a fix,
Let's stick it to em'
Ryan
One thing you should realize about this strategy, there is a serial number on the back of your player and on the box it came in. If it is discovered that they do not match I would imagine you might be in a little trouble. Of course you could try to switch things around but I doubt it can be done cleanly.

Last edited:
jph1207 said:
The jan 04 will work. Have one and it has the upgraded firmware. Take my advice and be careful about switching units, I don't think it can be done cleanly.

I have one DVD that will not play the audio. It is the Seal IV dvd. Is this one of the dvd-a discs affected by this bug?

I can't believe I would have to ship the entire unit to Ohio to fix it. It's not even worth it. It's not like there's a whole slew of new dvd-a's coming out from popular groups. It's almost easier just to sell the disc that isn't working, or just use the Dolby Digital sound.

Is there any chance this update will be available to end-users via a CD or DVD any time soon?

Also, if I ever wanted to ship it and get it updated, do I need to have the warranty, or will they do it anyway?

I guess this is what I get for getting the cheapest universal player out there. Should have saved for the Denon.

I just got my DV-563A back from Pioneer with the latest firmware upgrade. Since I prefer to buy SACD where both formats are released, I don't have any of the "uncooperative" DVD-Audio disks; but I chose to get the free upgrade since it was under warranty anyway. When the player came back however, it still had a disk in it, with a blank white label. Could it be that this is the firmware disk that they say wasn't possible? I didn't play it, since I was not sure if it would attempt to load something, but I am curious. What do you guys think? :confused: Mike.

Check what's in it on a CPU. My opinion is it's just a test disk but it could be a firmware upgrade also. That would be great for me since I don't wanna risk sending the unit in.

Quadzilla said:
I just got my DV-563A back from Pioneer with the latest firmware upgrade. Since I prefer to buy SACD where both formats are released, I don't have any of the "uncooperative" DVD-Audio disks; but I chose to get the free upgrade since it was under warranty anyway. When the player came back however, it still had a disk in it, with a blank white label. Could it be that this is the firmware disk that they say wasn't possible? I didn't play it, since I was not sure if it would attempt to load something, but I am curious. What do you guys think? :confused: Mike.
Could you look at the contents on a PC or Mac? If it is the firmware update, you could share it so others didn't need to jump through the hoops we all did, and boost the DV-563 community.

Sounds like they "forgot"! You may have something there.

When I had to upgrade my Pioneer DVR-7000, then just sent me a DVD-R.

:-jon

That would be awesome. I don't want the hassel either. If it looks like the firmware disc, PLEASE make a disc image and post it somewhere. You would forever be in my debt.

Holy Hell!
Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this is a firmware disc. Even if we had to do a b&p, it would be worth it for everyone.
later,
Ryan

Nova74 said:
Holy Hell!
Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this is a firmware disc. Even if we had to do a b&p, it would be worth it for everyone.
later,
Ryan

So, which is it? Don't keep us all in suspense?

It's probably one of those discs they use in shipping, to protect the laser, but who knows. C'mon, tell us!!!!

trekkerj said:
So, which is it? Don't keep us all in suspense?

It's probably one of those discs they use in shipping, to protect the laser, but who knows. C'mon, tell us!!!!

I can't tell what it is. That was why I asked the question. I was merely trying to determine whether the firmware upgrade was by disk or not. The CD-ROM in my laptop does not recognize it, so I guess that it might be a DVD. I am going to return it to Pioneer, since it is rightly their's anyway. Sorry for the "suspense". Mike.

Quadzilla said:
I can't tell what it is. That was why I asked the question. I was merely trying to determine whether the firmware upgrade was by disk or not. The CD-ROM in my laptop does not recognize it, so I guess that it might be a DVD. I am going to return it to Pioneer, since it is rightly their's anyway. Sorry for the "suspense". Mike.

Do you have a DVD-Rom drive you could check it in? Can you tell by looking at the data side if there is anything written on the disc? I would totally buy it from you if you could verify the contents. For Pioneer to hog the upgrade for themselves in 5 or 6 centers in the entire country is just not right.

About two months ago I called Pioneer about getting the firmware update for my DV-563A. I was told that whereas there had only been three service centers that handled the update that now there were ten. The Pioneer representative noted that the closest authorized warranty station was in Concord CA, about seventy-five miles from where I live.

I called ahead to Professional Video Engineering and was assured that they could perform the upgrade. I drove to Concord where I was able to find their small shop in a light industrial complex. The woman behind the counter that took in my player did not seem to know anything about the upgrade. At my insistence she called Pioneer to confirm that they could perform the upgrade, at no charge to me and that Pioneer would pay for the return shipping.

To make a long story short, they completed the upgrade four weeks to the day I brought it to their shop. The upgrade was successful.

Professional Video Engineering, 2190 Meridian Park BLVD. Suite O, Concord CA 94520 may be a reasonable option for those living close by and not minding being without the player for four weeks.

tcdriver

It should be noted that the Pioneer DVD-A player issue is also discussed in the current issue of the ICE newsletter in the Watchdog column.....

Too bad they don't check in here at QQ, it could have been in a few issues ago!

4 Weeks? Doesn't the upgrade take about 2 minutes. Geez. I only have one disc that doesn't play right, it's just not worth it. If more DVD-audio titles that I would actually buy come out and don't work, that might make me send it across the country, but not one disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back