Poll: Autoplay or Menu (Blu-ray/DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autoplay or Menu?

• Total voters

Mr. Afternoon

Mixing Engineer & Artist
For DVD-Audio or Blu-ray Audio discs, would you rather have the album play in surround by default as soon as you pop the disc in, or be greeted with a menu to fiddle with options and access bonus features as needed. The autoplay option would still have a menu to access things, as usual.
As usual, this is my own curiosity. Not part of a testing group, not indicative of future releases.

Autoplay! The menu is fine to access things that you don't normally bother with, but you can't beat the simplicity of autoplay. You don't have to use a video monitor either.

I prefer a menu, but it has to be silent… I hate it when the album ends and it returns to a menu with looped music
Yeah, that's a good point. Menus can have interesting music not found elsewhere, though... I guess I'd prefer there to be audio that plays once through and does not loop, and only plays when first inserting the disc but not when subsequently accessing the menu via remote or disc auto-navigation.

For an audio disc, as opposed to one that is, say, a concert disc, I prefer autoplay. Until recently I didn't have a monitor attached to my main audio system. DVDAs back in teh day drove me nuts, while SACDs always worked. Finally I had to break down and get a $70 TV to allow me to get through the Blu Ray menus just to hear the music in surround. In my main video room, I prefer menus for the reasons stated here, but if the disc is an audio disc primarily, just play the music.

The few discs that I have that autoplay play in surround/quad, like Hotel California and the Doobie Brothers Quadio discs, the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Nightwish-Once which has MLP in surround only

Autoplay to surround, same as you get with multi-channel SACD. Menus are fine for navigating, but I hate being forced to turn on the TV to play a disc. And for those who always want to go to the menu, simply disable autoplay via your BD player.

For an audio disc, as opposed to one that is, say, a concert disc, I prefer autoplay. Until recently I didn't have a monitor attached to my main audio system. DVDAs back in teh day drove me nuts, while SACDs always worked. Finally I had to break down and get a $70 TV to allow me to get through the Blu Ray menus just to hear the music in surround. In my main video room, I prefer menus for the reasons stated here, but if the disc is an audio disc primarily, just play the music.
I bought a small 10" monitor for the same reason!

Back