Porcupine Tree "The Incident"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilson also said at the end of the 3 shows I went to (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco) that they would come back for a second leg of the tour at some point in "the new year".

Next time around, I'll do Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, AND Los Angeles. (That's of course assuming they will play in all 4 cities for the next go round.)

Oi Vay on the limited edition price here in the USA...I will be waiting for the DVD-A disc version. John S.

Doesn't look like you have a choice:

Porcupine Tree has been amassing a loyal following since 1987. The latest evidence: Fans snatched up all 10,000 limited-edition copies of its new album, "The Incident" (Sept. 22, Roadrunner). They contained two CDs, a DVD and two books (one of photos, one of illustrations) that complemented the record for $109, according to manager Andy Leff. (Double-CD and three-disc vinyl sets are also available.)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...rcupine_tree_fans_snatch_up_the_incident.html

The Incident has really solidified as a great album; listening to some portion of it daily in the van.

A co-worker music bud just happen to give me this link to perhaps the most revealing interview of Steve Wilson I've ever read. It was given to JamBase in San Francisco just prior to Porcupine Tree's show. It's been a hard day and you deserve a pleasant read!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/19942/Porcupine-Tree-Great-Expectations

The Incident has really solidified as a great album

I agree, now I'm ready to see it live!

I still think it's a bit uneven, though. When I listen in the car or when I'm doing something else I love it, when I sit down to specifically listen to it my mind drifts off during some sections. PT is moving away from the heavy metal riffing and they should have just made a clean break - those are the times I lose interest. They've done the heavy riffing with the sad/sweet interludes to death now, I don't need to hear any it more. And Time Flies is just too Pink Floyd, it sounds like Animals and the guitar solo sounds like one of Gilmour's from The Wall - one of the tracks in the middle/end of disc 2 (I'm not interested in listening to The Wall right now to pinpoint it). A bit more editing and it would be a perfect album (by my definition an album that I always listen all the way through and never skip any tracks). It's still one of their best, and I'm really looking forward to hearing where they go next.

That is a good interview! I've thought (and said) this for years, glad SW agrees :D

"Richard is really the secret weapon in our band. He's totally unique. No one else could come up with those sounds. It's almost because he approaches keyboard playing in terms of pure texture and pure sound and not technique and chops. We're all about texture and sound in Porcupine Tree."

SW may write almost all the music, but I really think that RB takes PT from a good band (with great song writing) to an exceptional band.

Richard got sole writing credit for Black Dhalia on disc 2 and I listen to it alot. Very basic song but it blossoms into something wonderful. Would love to have heard the demos for it. He has always been a great contributor and this nice interview re-affirms that.

I just skip-scanned the Incident album in iTunes seeing what I would part with and didn't really find anything. When I play In Absentia it's been more common for me to skip a few or change to something else altogether, maybe for the same reasons. I do listen to more of it these days.

I haven't been doing it, but I think that the first 2 tracks could be skipped. But then the disc wouldn't have a 'proper' opening... Draw the Line through Time Flies is my favorite section, and about as solid a block of music I have heard in a long time. And, I do like Time Flies, I just always wonder if Pink Floyd will wind up suing. The rest of 'The Incident' is hit and miss, I haven't been keeping tabs on which tracks I like and which I'd consider skipping. All of the second disc is very good, but Black Dalia and Remember me Lover are stellar IMO. Lots of great music, but I would have edited it a little more. Still, an excellent pair of discs!

Oh, and I too have been listening more to In Absentia recently. Hmmm

Last edited:
Having seen them perform the entire album at Hammersmith , London the other night I have to say the ' entire' album sits together brilliantly in live performance . I'm sure in future tours Time Flies , Drawing the Line and Octane Twisted or remember me Lover could be performed independently in an ' Absentia Tour of a Blank Deadwing Incident ' kind of way ;)

Similar to the surprising way they snuck in ' Russia on Ice' at that show

~M~

Just got my ticket for the Nov 22nd concert in Madrid. "The Incidents" may not be their strongest album but still I cannot wait to get my hands on the DVD-A edition. Are there really not even any rumours yet to put in the mill?

You will enjoy the show no doubt. The DVD-A is a done deal and therefore better than a rumor. Sometime in 2010 seems good enough

I was in Milan for their show last week. I was lucky to be in front of Colin Edwards at about 1 meter from the stage. I didn't heard "The Incident" before but I loved it as they performed the whole album live. They did some comedy stuff at the end of the show and it was real fun!!

Anyway, I think I read DVD-A would come out in February

he always plays barefoot as far as I recall. it was brought up in an interview a few years back but I don't recall the exact answer he gave.

From Wikipedia:
For live shows Wilson plays with bare feet. This particular custom goes back to his early childhood, where he remembers: "I always had a problem wearing shoes and I've always gone around with bare feet". He also adds that another factor on performing barefoot is the advantage it gives in operating his diverse guitar pedals

Playing barefoot is essential in my opinion, I always say, you wouldn't play guitar with mittens on...so why would you play with shoes on.

I still have memories of being shocked as a kid from playing shoeless while plugged into an ungrounded amp.:mad:@:

Back