Quad Albums on LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efhess

Hi folks,

I've been into this quad enthusiasm because of 2 quad Floyd albums. DSOTM and WYWH. And I'm asking for album suggestions on SQ format preferably. What else can you suggest? I know that Santana has quad versions of his first albums, and Mike Oldfield's famous Tubular Bells which are already on my list but I don't know any other great quad albums. I'm more likely into Rock genre but I'd also like to hear Classical and Jazz records (and all other stuff of course) with great mixes. Any suggestions are welcome.

(PS. I can't afford a Japanese Pressing, haha!!)

Perhaps you haven't seen Mark Anderson's Quad discographies: http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadindx.htm Format(s) would be listed in parenthesis at the end of each listing, (SQ) for example. There are also links to Mark Anderson's modern digital format surround discographies in the "Articles" section of QQ.

Not knowing your taste in music, it's kind of difficult to suggest. Still, here are a few rock and jazz SQ classics:

Aerosmith: Get Your Wings, Toys & Rocks These may be pricey and highly collectable.
Santana: any Quad EXCEPT Amigos. Although I love the music, Amigos is quasi-quad.
Deep Purple - Machine Head (SQ in UK, but CD-4 in US, different mix)
Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII

Jazz/fusion classics:
Introducing Larry Coryell & the Eleventh House
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

My main musical taste is progressive rock. Floyd and Crimson-ish things. Not a great fan of ELP. But I'm all open to other genres, this is why I didn't limit the suggestions with any genre or taste. Anything would do. :) I'm only searching for good mixed albums to discover quad best I can. CD-4's won't do any good to me because I don't have any 4 channel player. I'm searching for QS' and especcially SQ's. Thanks for the Discography! :)

Well I'm far from expert on the subject but I have just spent the last 12 months digitising (and then decoding with the Involve Surround Master SQ Vinyl edition) over 250 SQ LPs.. many of my favourites are kinda fresh in my memory right now, you might say.

Here's some of my favourite SQ records from that assortment..

Aerosmith: Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, Rocks,
Andy Williams: Andy,
Argent : In Deep,
Art Garfunkel: Angel Clare, Breakaway,
Azteca: Azteca,
Barbra Streisand: Barbra Joan Streisand, The Stoney End,
Billy Joel: Piano Man, Turnstiles,
Billy Paul: 360 Degrees, War Of The Gods,
Blue Oyster Cult: Secret Treaties, Tyranny & Mutation,
Blood Sweat & Tears: Mirror Image, New City,
Bob Dylan: Desire, Nashville Skyline,
B.T. Express: Energy To Burn,
Burton Cummings: Burton Cummings,
Charlie Rich: Behind Closed Doors, Every Time You Touch Me I Get High,
Chase: Chase, Pure Music,
Chicago: II, VI, X,
Dan Fogelberg: Captured Angel,
Dave Mason: Dave Mason, Its Like You Never Left, Split Coconut,
David Essex: Rock On,
Earth Wind & Fire: Spirit, That's The Way Of The World,
Edgar Winter: Shock Treatment, They Only Come Out At Night, EWG w/Rick Derringer,
Harold Melvin: Black & Blue, Wake Up Everybody,
Herbie Hancock: Secrets, Sextant,
Isaac Hayes: Joy, Tough Guys,
Isley Brothers: Go For Your Guns, Harvest For The World, Live It Up,
Janis Ian: Aftertones, Between The Lines,
Janis Joplin: Pearl,
Jeff Beck: Rough & Ready, Wired,
Johnnie Taylor: Eargasm, Rated Extraordinaire,
Johnny Mathis: I'm Coming Home, When Will I See You Again,
Johnny Nash: My Merry Go Round,
Johny Winter: John Dawson Winter III, Saints & Sinners, Still Alive & Well,
Kris Kristofferson: Border Lord,
Labelle: Phoenix,
Larry Coryell & Eleventh House,
Liza Minnelli: The Singer,
Loggins & Messina: Native Sons,
Mac Davis: All The Love In The World, Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me, Stop & Smell The Roses, Thunder In The Afternoon,
Manhattans: It Feels So Good,
Maynard Ferguson: Conquistador,
MFSB: Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom,
Minnie Riperton: Adventures In Paradise, Perfect Angel,
Miracles: Love Crazy,
Mountain: Avalanche, Best Of,
O'Jays: Family Reunion, Message In The Music, Survival,
Paul Simon: Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years, There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
Poco: Cantamos, Seven,
Quincy Jones: You've Got It Bad Girl,
Raiders: Indian Reservation,
Ramsey Lewis Trio: Upendo Ni Pamoja,
Redbone: Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes, Message From A Drum,
Reo Speedwagon: Lost In A Dream, This Time We Mean It,
Return To Forever: Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer: All American Boy, Spring Fever,
Santana: Borboletta, Caravanserai, Festival, III, Love Devotion Surrender w/Mahavishnu Orchestra, Santana, Welcome,
Staple Singers: Be What You Are,
Ted Nugent: Free For All,
Tower Of Power: Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Weather Report: Tale Spinnin',
West Bruce & Laing: Why Dontcha,
Wild Cherry: Electrified Funk

Hope that helps with the SQ records some.. there are others that are worthy too of course (and there are great Quads you can also get on SQ LP that have been upgraded with more recent DTS CDs and Surround SACDs, such as Billy Joel/Streetlife Serenade, Edgar Winter/Jasmine Nightdreams, EWF/Head To The Sky, Herbie Hancock/Headhunters, Thrust, Isley Brothers/3+3, Jeff Beck/Blow By Blow, Jeff Beck Group, Labelle/Nightbirds, Loggins & Messina/Loggins & Messina, Full Sail, O'Jays/Ship Ahoy, Poco/Crazy Eyes, etc..

Meantime, those SQ LPs are the one's I play most.

Have fun efhess, there's a lot of great music in Quad out there on LP in my humble experience! :upthumb

Ahh great! I'm Happy to hear there's an Earth Wind & Fire album.

Yes! There are 4 of them;
Head To The Sky,
Open Our Eyes,
Spirit,
That's The Way Of The World..

Head To The Sky & Open Our Eyes have been re-released on Surround SACD by Audio Fidelity and are available now.

Spirit and That's The Way Of The World are only available on old SQ LPs and Q8's.

Head To The Sky,
Open Our Eyes,
Spirit,

Head To The Sky & Open Our Eyes have been re-released on Surround SACD by Audio Fidelity and are available now.

Spirit and That's The Way Of The World are only available on old SQ LPs and Q8's.

And they are all FABULOUS!!!!

Head To The Sky,
Open Our Eyes,
Spirit,

I have said it before, but despite Audio Fidelity slowing down the number of Multichannel SACDs released each year, I hope they still release a Quadraphonic SACD of "Spirit", especially if "That's The Way of the World" is still off the table. :)

Hi folks,

I've been into this quad enthusiasm because of 2 quad Floyd albums. DSOTM and WYWH. And I'm asking for album suggestions on SQ format preferably. What else can you suggest? I know that Santana has quad versions of his first albums, and Mike Oldfield's famous Tubular Bells which are already on my list but I don't know any other great quad albums. I'm more likely into Rock genre but I'd also like to hear Classical and Jazz records (and all other stuff of course) with great mixes. Any suggestions are welcome.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s

I have said it before, but despite Audio Fidelity slowing down the number of Multichannel SACDs released each year, I hope they still release a Quadraphonic SACD of "Spirit", especially if "That's The Way of the World" is still off the table. :)

You may have said it before Ryan but why not say it again! It bears repeating (from the rooftops imho!).. the Quad of Spirit strikes me as a great mix just dying to be liberated from its SQ vinyl and 8-track shackles.. come on you Audio Fidelity beauties, lets just be having it on AF Surround SACD (pwetty pwease) so we can all retire our old Spirit Quad tapes and records, they've done 40 years of faithful service they could do with a rest! :p

Hi folks,

Can you play back DTS CDs, SACDs, or DVD-As? Because we are now at a point where imo many of the best quad LPs and tapes have been issued in one of those formats. Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Ten Years After, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Alice Cooper, Paul M. & Wings, are but a few artists who have their 70s quad mixes beautifully preserved in the newer configurations.

It would get you better sound quality to go for these in the newer formats than old quad LPs. Plus there are newer mixes in surround mixes of old albums you might like Gentle Giant, ELP, or Caravan.

There is just so much good stuff out there, and more coming that one need not only listen to the older issues.

Hi folks,

If you like Floyd's Quads, you should really try and get their 3rd one.I mean of course "ATOM HEART MOTHER", also a very good quad mix.

No quad fan should be without that disc.

I can only search for LP's and/or 45 singles (if it exists on quad) for now because of my low budget. And I'm not intended to switch to digitalized sound so any kind of Compact Discs are not for me. I prefer to stay on cassettes, vinyls and tapes. And for now, only vinyl records until i get my tape decks and other stuff.

Quicksrt, I can only search for LP's and/or 45 singles (if it exists on quad) for now because of my low budget. And I'm not intended to switch to digitalized sound so any kind of Compact Discs are not for me. I prefer to stay on cassettes, vinyls and tapes. And for now, only vinyl records until i get my tape decks and other stuff.

Back