Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Bruzonsky

400 Club - QQ All-Star

Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!​

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/co...ts/rock-montreal-live-aid-4k-ultra-hd-edition

With not only 5.1 DTS-HD but also Dolby Atmos! WOW!

I can't take credit for this - another member posted this at the 2024 multichannel thread. This deserves its own thread.

Plus I would think better pricing will show up as well - I have never found UDiscovermusic to have very good pricing.

And it was shot in anamorphic 35mm so it should look QUITE SPECTACULAR in 4K!
Are you sure it was shot in anamorphic? The Queen online store (the band's own UK outlet) is making much of the fact one of the formats offered is full frame as originally shot and intended for release. This would originally have been released on VHS, there's no way in 1981 it was intended to be anything other than 4:3.

https://queenonlinestore.com/

Disc one of the 2x4K package features Queen Rock Montreal in Full Frame screen format, as it was originally intended to be viewed, along with their iconic Live Aid performance, presented for the first time in upscaled HD with Dolby Atmos audio. Disc two presents the Montreal concert in widescreen format, and a behind the scenes featurette composed of Queen rehearsing for Live Aid interspersed with an interview with the band, recorded just prior to Live Aid. Both screen formats of the 4K version of Queen Rock Montreal can be displayed in either HDR or SDR. The Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid performances are presented with LPCM Stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio, and, for the first time, Dolby Atmos.

The text for the Blu Ray says similar things.

Are you sure it was shot in anamorphic? The Queen online store (the band's own UK outlet) is making much of the fact one of the formats offered is full frame as originally shot and intended for release. This would originally have been released on VHS, there's no way in 1981 it was intended to be anything other than 4:3.

https://queenonlinestore.com/

Disc one of the 2x4K package features Queen Rock Montreal in Full Frame screen format, as it was originally intended to be viewed, along with their iconic Live Aid performance, presented for the first time in upscaled HD with Dolby Atmos audio. Disc two presents the Montreal concert in widescreen format, and a behind the scenes featurette composed of Queen rehearsing for Live Aid interspersed with an interview with the band, recorded just prior to Live Aid. Both screen formats of the 4K version of Queen Rock Montreal can be displayed in either HDR or SDR. The Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid performances are presented with LPCM Stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio, and, for the first time, Dolby Atmos.

The text for the Blu Ray says similar things.
I deduced that info from this comprehensive article from blu.ray.com:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34184

I deduced that info from this comprehensive article from blu.ray.com:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34184
Which says:

For the first time ever, the concert will be presented in both full-frame and widescreen formats. The full-screen aspect ratio echoing more closely the way the film was originally shot, and the widescreen being a carefully cropped alternative presentation to fill the 16:9 ratio.

Which says:

For the first time ever, the concert will be presented in both full-frame and widescreen formats. The full-screen aspect ratio echoing more closely the way the film was originally shot, and the widescreen being a carefully cropped alternative presentation to fill the 16:9 ratio.
I suppose the part in which the director wanted to film it in anamorphic widescreen [35mm] was denied ........a bit confusing to say the least! Too bad!

https://www.thesdeshop.com/products/queen-queen-rock-montreal-4k-blu-ray

Queen / Queen Rock Montreal 4K blu-ray (2-disc set)​

PRE-ORDER: Release Date 10 May 2024

Regular price£29.99 GBP
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

Quantity
Decrease quantity for Queen / Queen Rock Montreal 4K blu-ray (2-disc set)Increase quantity for Queen / Queen Rock Montreal 4K blu-ray (2-disc set)
Add to cart

ALL REGION • 2 x 4K Blu-ray Audio with Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Mix. Bonus live Aid performance and rehearsals (not 4K) • Release date: 10 May 2024

• 1981 performance shot on film
  • New scan of the 35mm negative
  • Full Frame (as shot) and WIDESCREEN versions both in 4K
  • 4K UHD has SDR / HDR dynamic range options.
  • Dolby Atmos Mix. 5.1 and stereo versions of audio
  • Live Aid performance and rehearsals (upscaled to HD but not 4k)
  • Live Aid in Dolby Atmos, 5.1 and stereo
  • Region-free discs
Queen Rock Montreal captures the world’s most iconic rock band at the very peak of their live powers. Recorded in 1981 and recently released as a record-breaking digitally restored IMAX concert film, this landmark moment in the band’s history is now being released as a double 4K Ultra High Definition blu-ray.

Queen Rock Montreal presents Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon at their most exciting and exhilarating. As Brian May puts it, this is Queen “live and dangerous.”
Queen were on all-conquering form when they returned to Montreal, Canada for the fourth time in November 1981 to play two huge concerts at the 18,000-seat Forum. This pair of Montreal concerts marked an historic moment for Queen. After their massive success in the 1970s, the band entered the 80s bigger than ever, with the hugely successful The Game album producing their two biggest ever US singles in Another One Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (both No. 1 in the US), followed by the UK No.1 single Under Pressure.
Queen’s return to Montreal came after almost two years of touring, including their very first tours of South and Central America, which saw the band playing two nights at Sao Paulo’s Morumbi Stadium to more than 150,000 devoted fans. As a result, when the band arrived in Canada in November 1981 they were in electrifying form.
“Montreal is one of our favourite cities, it’s a great audience there, very full of energy,” says Brian May. “We’d played this particular venue, The Forum, several times before, and it was always full of really enthusiastic people giving us a lot of energy back.”
The original concerts, which took place on November 24 and 25, 1981, were truly ground-breaking. They were arranged specifically to be filmed for a full-length concert film to document their live show. Director Saul Swimmer planned to shoot them using state-of-the-art Double Anamorphic 35mm footage, which allowed it to be projected on a gigantic, five-storey high screen. Backstage tensions between the members of Queen and Swimmer could have caused problems, but instead they propelled the band to new heights. “We were very, very hyped up, some of the tempos are really fast, there’s a lot of really incisive, angry playing,” says May.
Queen Rock Montreal features a rawer version of the band who had released Bohemian Rhapsody half a decade earlier, showcasing their unparalleled musicianship, soaring vocal power and unstoppable live energy. “There’s no one on the stage apart from us,” says May.

Says Taylor: “It's fascinating to now realise how free we were on stage in 1981. It's a four piece, just the four of us in Queen, and to see Freddie. It's like being on stage with the band because the cameras are very high quality for the time. I've never seen anything that makes you feel quite so involved with the performance.”

From Freddie Mercury’s opening cry of “Hello Montreal… long time no see. You wanna get crazy?” through to the thrilling climactic one-two of 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are The Champions', the energy rarely lets up – and even then only for signature ballad 'Love Of My Life'. The powerful vocal acrobatics of Mercury, May’s dazzling six-string pyrotechnics, Deacon’s rock solid heartbeat bass, Taylor’s unstoppable rhythmic display, and not to mention the unique combination of all four voices – Queen Rock Montreal shows the total cohesion and individual strengths of four musicians who were, as Brian May says, “at the top of our game”.
This 2x 4k blu-ray set also includes the most famous 21 minutes in rock & roll history – Queen’s electric performance at Live Aid, upscaled to high definition for the first time ever and with brand-new stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos sound mixes, along with Freddie Mercury & Brian May performing 'Is This The World We Created…?' later that evening.
This is a pre-order. Queen Rock Montreal is released on 10 May 2024 via Mercury Studios.
track_listing2_480x480.png

Disc 1: 4K Blu-ray - Full Frame Version

Run Time: 119 minutes
Queen Rock Montreal
Video:
Ultra High Definition Full Frame SDR & HDR
Audio: Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, LPCM Stereo
1. Intro
2. We Will Rock You (fast)
3. Let Me Entertain You
4. Play The Game
5. Somebody To Love
6. Killer Queen
7. I’m In Love With My Car
8. Get Down Make Love
9. Save Me
10. Now I’m Here
11. Dragon Attack
12. Now I’m Here (reprise)
13. Love Of My Life
14. Under Pressure
15. Keep Yourself Alive
16. Drum & Timpani Solo
17. Guitar Solo
18. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
19. Jailhouse Rock
20. Bohemian Rhapsody
21. Tie Your Mother Down
22. Another One Bites The Dust
23. Sheer Heart Attack
24. We Will Rock You
25. We Are The Champions
26. God Save The Queen

Queen Rock Montreal Commentary from Brian May & Roger Taylor
Live Aid
Video:
1080p
1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Radio Ga Ga
3. Hammer To Fall
4. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
5. We Will Rock You
6. We Are The Champions
7. Is This The World We Created…? (Mercury & May)

Disc 2: 4K Blu-ray - WIDESCREEN Version

Runtime: 105 mins
Queen Rock Montreal
Video:
2160p Ultra High Definition Widescreen SDR & HDR
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch
1. Intro
2. We Will Rock You (fast)
3. Let Me Entertain You
4. Play The Game
5. Somebody To Love
6. Killer Queen
7. I’m In Love With My Car
8. Get Down Make Love
9. Save Me
10. Now I’m Here
11. Dragon Attack
12. Now I’m Here (reprise)
13. Love Of My Life
14. Under Pressure
15. Keep Yourself Alive
16. Drum & Timpani Solo
17. Guitar Solo
18. Crazy Little Thing Called Love
19. Jailhouse Rock
20. Bohemian Rhapsody
21. Tie Your Mother Down
22. Another One Bites The Dust
23. Sheer Heart Attack
24. We Will Rock You
25. We Are The Champions
26. God Save The Queen

Queen Rock Montreal Commentary from Brian May & Roger Taylor
Live Aid rehearsals`
Video:
1080p
Audio:
Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, LPCM Stereo
1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Radio Ga Ga
3. Hammer To Fall

Generally movies or concerts also in 4K and/or HDR also in blu ray have been on separate 4k vs regular blu ray discs. But here they show the 2 discs, one full frame and one widescreen, each disc containing both 4k and also HD/regular blu ray video. I can't recall seeing this before or even whether this can be done?

Generally movies or concerts also in 4K and/or HDR also in blu ray have been on separate 4k vs regular blu ray discs. But here they show the 2 discs, one full frame and one widescreen, each disc containing both 4k and also HD/regular blu ray video. I can't recall seeing this before or even whether this can be done?
You have misunderstood. 4K is a 2 disc set, one disc is full frame and the other widescreen, each of which has both 4K SDR and 4K HDR on it. There is a separate 1080p blu ray 2 disc set, again one disc full frame and the other widescreen. If you want both 4K and regular blu ray you have to buy both 2 disc sets.

Not holding my breath that the Atmos will be amazing, but lossless multichannel audio is a win.
I think I only have this on DVD.
It has already been released on Blu Ray as I have it. Sound track on that disc is multichannel DTS HD ie lossy. It's been sufficiently long since I watched it I can't comment in quality. The concert itself is awesome.

You have misunderstood. 4K is a 2 disc set, one disc is full frame and the other widescreen, each of which has both 4K SDR and 4K HDR on it. There is a separate 1080p blu ray 2 disc set, again one disc full frame and the other widescreen. If you want both 4K and regular blu ray you have to buy both 2 disc sets.

UDiscovermusic indicates as you say, 2 4k and 2 blu ray discs. But SDE indicates just 2 4k discs!

Now as to the Queen online store, which one would think will be definitive:

https://queenonlinestore.com/products/rock-montreal-live-aid-4k-ultra-hd-edition

Disc one of the 2x4K package features Queen Rock Montreal in Full Frame screen format, as it was originally intended to be viewed, along with their iconic Live Aid performance, presented for the first time in upscaled HD with Dolby Atmos audio. Disc two presents the Montreal concert in widescreen format, and a behind the scenes featurette composed of Queen rehearsing for Live Aid interspersed with an interview with the band, recorded just prior to Live Aid. Both screen formats of the 4K version of Queen Rock Montreal can be displayed in either HDR or SDR. The Queen Rock Montreal and Live Aid performances are presented with LPCM Stereo, DTS-HD Master Audio, and, for the first time, Dolby Atmos. Queen Rock Montreal also includes a commentary track recorded by Brian May & Roger Taylor talking discussing the film.

From the above from the Queen website, looks like both discs are 4k, and the HD1080p Live Aid or other parts are upscaled to 4k, since the term "upscaled HD" is used.

Last edited:
Back