SPOTLIGHT RARE QUAD LP'S, TAPES or CD'S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woo, I don't have that deep purple 45 in the discography, please dig it out and send us a picture. And 10 minutes playing time, WTF. I thought Hey Jude was the longest

Woo, I don't have that deep purple 45 in the discography, please dig it out and send us a picture. And 10 minutes playing time, WTF. I thought Hey Jude was the longest

It's not a 45. It's a 33 "Jukebox Demi-Album".

Many jukeboxes are equipped to play these. The hole size determines whether the turntable turns at 45 or 33.

Most of these had two songs on each side, and you paid two play credits to play them.

I also have several 7-inch 33 (semi album) records from jukeboxes (I used to repair them) that are marked "quadraphonic" or as the EV or QS matrix. Seeburg had a Dynaquad-type decoder in their quadraphonic jukeboxes.

Unfortunately, they are mixed in with all of my other 7-inch 33s (sorted alphabetic by artist). With one exception, I do not remember which ones they were.

The exception is Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water. Since I have no image capture device right now and no immediate access to the record, I found an image of the 45.

View attachment 68294

It looks like this, except:

- It has a 5/16-inch center hole
- It says "extended version"
- The playing time is 10:10
- The disc number is different
- Because the hole is smaller, the printing is closer to the center
- It says quadraphonic under the playing time
- There were two songs on the other side

A WEA record in DQ, QS, or EV???

The USA Jukebox press for SOTW is this:

https://www.45cat.com/record/s2701llp214
and it's not quadraphonic (made in japan was never mixed in quad).

There hasn't been a Little Lp of Machine Head AFAIK and the USA quad version was a 1974 CD4, not matrix.

The near 10min playing time does exist for a Deep Purple 7" single AND the combo of 3 track (one plus two) AND one being SOTW does exist, but it is this one (i use the italian release because it does state the timing):

https://www.45cat.com/record/3c00698841
SOTW is a edited version of the MIJ live one, WFT is also a edit version of the studio track, CIT is the full MIJ track (faded some audience at the end).

All tracks are lifted from this LP
https://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-The-Mark-2-Purple-Singles/master/4458
BTW, since Italy never got before any 7" version of SOTW (promo or commercial) that single A-side was released also as a WL jukebox press

https://www.45cat.com/record/3c00070113
and along with other "very long" singles (Hotel California...) it caused a problem for JB operators because these were too long for a single play time with both low-volume sound and less-money-for-music value. For that reason WEA in 1978 started to limit the 7" JB press at 4:00 . More, the JB tag did list only SOTW so when WFT started after SOTW no one had a idea where the track was coming from...

1977_DEEP_PURPLE.jpg

Last edited:
Andy Justman-Fireman's Polka

Small label out of Wisconsin that issued discs in Dynaquad (DY-4D) and I read QR tapes as well. I was looking at this lp, noticed the K.L. Recording logo and thought where oh where have I seen this ??
Then I remembered R.Scott Varner sent me some DY-4D schematic and at the bottom K.L. Recording Service was mentioned as a supporter .
So yes indeed a sleuthing for some obscure quads which turn out to be a small label releasing in DYNAQUAD ! :D
This disc is 72, but I have info from Audio Magazine that they started in 71----so at least a few discs were issued.

View attachment 30106View attachment 30107View attachment 30108View attachment 30109
KL eventually switched to SQ. I've seen some of their records offered on eBay that mentioned SQ.

I have done research on this:

UMX is the entire system of Denon matrix systems.

UMX - used for the early 2-channel matrixed records.
BMX - used for the later 2-channel matrixed records and broadcasts.
TMX - used for a three-channel matrixed proposal for flat surround
QMX - a 4-channel matrixed (reversible to discrete) system with height.
UD4 - a 4-channel matrixed (reverse to discrete to 3KHz) system (baseband BMX).

Before Denon devised UMX, it was selling a matrix system similar to EV which it called QX and a system similar to Dynaco Diamond called XM..

Japan Phonograph Record Association (JPRA) and Electronic Industry Association of Japan (EIAJ) used the following codes for various types of quadraphonic systems:

RM - Regular Matrix - Equal-separation basic matrix
QM - Quadraphonic Matrix - Forward-oriented basic matrix
PM - Phase Matrix - All SQ-related matrix systems
CD-4 - Compatible Discrete - CD-4
UX - Uniform Matrix - All UMX-related matrix systems
Play the QX records as QS.

KL eventually switched to SQ. I've seen some of their records offered on eBay that mentioned SQ.

I don't know about the SQ quad aspect they undertook ....but the first two albums KL Recording Service put out in DY-4D were :
Sig Loomis And The Tag-A-Longs -"First Time Around" , KLP-4* and.... Riverboat Rascals At The Rangeline KLP -5 .

article by Ronald M Kline .

Also in that article is a picture of a stereo record from Britian, "This Is Stereo" (EXP 70) ,
..that contains some surround stereo .

and including a picture of Dynaco's Quad Sampler .

*the hafler triphonic system on KLP 4.

(Audio Feb 71 pgs 26/27)
20210627_210525.jpg

Attachments

• 20210627_213130.jpg
    20210627_213130.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 132
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144191909624?hash=item219281eef8:g:6y8AAOSwqu9U3f3q
**** So he had developed a rotosizer, an equipment which is based on quadrophonic sounds. It sends sounds smoothly one after the other into 4 loudspeakers. By this, the listener gains the impression, the music is flowing around him. This effect can especially be heard to its advantage when the band appeared in live.****

This is one of the best resources for quad lovers, giving the ability to compare the different systems.

Personally I found the SQ Encode inferior to other SQ Test and Demonstration Albums .
the 2 Discreet are likely great, but I could only listen to the UD-4 Matrix (BMX) and CD-4 in Quad as well as SQ and QS.
QS- Sansui QSD-2 ; SQ - Fosgate Tate 101a ; BMX - Sansui QSD-2 and Sony SQA 2030 in R-MTX ; ,
CD-4 , -Harmon Kardon 44+ w/ Shure M24 H w/Dual Turntable.
all connected to a Russound QT-1 for switching ease of multiple formats.

Odd. It says it was recorded in "Quadrophonic," (I hate the O,) but doesn't show anything about how to play it back.

The liner notes of which I found mostly unreadable , do not state how it was recorded for quad . I might be wrong , but neither do they seem to provide any indication of an Encode .
I know that BMG were recording in Dolby MP at least in the late 80's and throughout the 90's. They had a large number of dolby surround CD's and quite a few but not all, were reissues from the RCA quad era .
So Dolby 4 Channel matrix would be my guess.
BTW the spelling of the word "QUADROPHONIC" with the "O" is quite appropriate for a number of UK quad recordings. For instance check out Virgin Records quad Releases .

BMX and UD4 are NOT the same as QS and RM.

The closest thing to BMX without a BMX decoder is using an SQ decoder and moving the speakers:

- Place the LF speaker to straight left.
- Place the RF speaker to straight right.
- Place the LB speaker to center front and reverse its phase.
- Place the RB speaker to center back.

BMX and UD4 are NOT the same as QS and RM.

The closest thing to BMX without a BMX decoder is using an SQ decoder and moving the speakers:

- Place the LF speaker to straight left.
- Place the RF speaker to straight right.
- Place the LB speaker to center front and reverse its phase.
- Place the RB speaker to center back.

Perhaps a little diagram of those speaker placements might be more helpful for someone other than myself .

I don't play any BMX nor QX matrix recordings anymore . FWIW I only had the Quadraphile Demo disc and one Nippon Columbia disc .

Perhaps a little diagram of those speaker placements might be more helpful for someone other than myself .

I don't play any BMX nor QX matrix recordings anymore . FWIW I only had the Quadraphile Demo disc and one Nippon Columbia disc .
Using SQ to play BMX or UD4

- - - - SQ LB

SQ LF - - - - SQ RF

- - - - SQ RB

QX is not the same as BMX, QX is essentially RM.

QS (RM QX) stylus motions:

qim-rm.gif

BMX stylus motions:

qim-um.gif

SQ stylus motions:

qim-sq.gif

Notice that BMX and SQ use the same stylus motions for different signals.

Last edited:
Not quite certain if it's rare but I just had to put up this album ,mixed by qq member @epaladin in quadraphonic for Capricorn Records. Now I just love the artwork of the Allman Brothers album's cover ,all the more so with that very discretely placed quadradisc emblem by Warner Bros.
Allman Brothers-Eat A Peach 2C4 0102 .

By the way superior quad mix IMHO.

Attachments

• 20220614_203930.jpg
    20220614_203930.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220614_204001.jpg
    20220614_204001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220614_204034.jpg
    20220614_204034.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220614_204041.jpg
    20220614_204041.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 11
And continuing with some Cosmic Couriers SQ quad albums.

Gilles Zeitschiff ,German edition KM 58 . 012

Attachments

• 20220614_204325.jpg
    20220614_204325.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220614_204341.jpg
    20220614_204341.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220614_204334.jpg
    20220614_204334.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 16552596564061716019099225843471.jpg