Rating Elton John Songs - (General ratings discussion)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This just popped up on Elton's YouTube channel. First ever performance of "The Bitch is Back". Audio mix is a little unbalanced but it's a great performance.

This, to me, is the Elton John band. Dee, Davey, Nigel & Ray. They rocked.

We dusted off the VHS tapes to find this rare footage from the Watford FC Benefit Concert in 1974. Elton had recently become a Director of the club and due to them needing a financial boost, he agreed to put on a concert to raise funds. This was the first concert staged at Vicarage Road and tickets were priced at £1. Elton honoured The Hornets in his very own yellow and black get up. This was Elton’s first ever performance of ‘The Bitch Is Back’ – the 40,000 strong Watford crowd being the first to hear it – two months ahead of Caribou’s release.

This just popped up on Elton's YouTube channel. First ever performance of "The Bitch is Back". Audio mix is a little unbalanced but it's a great performance.

We dusted off the VHS tapes to find this rare footage from the Watford FC Benefit Concert in 1974. Elton had recently become a Director of the club and due to them needing a financial boost, he agreed to put on a concert to raise funds. This was the first concert staged at Vicarage Road and tickets were priced at £1. Elton honoured The Hornets in his very own yellow and black get up. This was Elton’s first ever performance of ‘The Bitch Is Back’ – the 40,000 strong Watford crowd being the first to hear it – two months ahead of Caribou’s release.

That was freaking amazing. Loved seeing that raw version of that song. They were just trying to keep up with each other....awesome.

And I shall be at Vicarage Road tomorrow although it will definitely not be as exciting as this amazing event. I've seen him twice in concert at The Vic as it is known (his second home!) and it would have been three times but I managed to get Covid so couldn't go. Elton has come to one or two matches lately as he is no longer touring. It's just a shame that he has never written a song called "Back Of The Net" that could be played every time Watford score. Mind you, he wouldn't have made much from any performance royalties this season! 😂

Just stumbled onto this thread. I love Elton's early stuff. It wasn't pop fluff. "Your Song" for me will always be his greatest hit along side of "Friends", "Take Me to the Pilot", "Bad Side of the Moon". The 11-17-70 (17-11-70) live album chalked up many of those early great tunes!

He then peaked album wise with "Madman Across the Water". Every track a winner!

Afterward I started to lose interest, while he still churned out a few great songs like "Rocket Man" and "Daniel", overall it was a downhill slide into pop fluff!

It wasn't too long ago that I got a CD copy of "Empty Sky". Not originally released on this side of the Atlantic, It proved to be another very fine album.

........It wasn't too long ago that I got a CD copy of "Empty Sky". Not originally released on this side of the Atlantic, It proved to be another very fine album.

I always loved "Rock and Roll Madonna" from that early era. It really should have gotten more airplay once his career took off. It's got the same kind of vibe as "Bitch is Back"

I’m not sure why his songs being ear candy has anything to do with the question posed.

He wrote some damn good songs that resonate with the masses.

In no particular order and I’m sure I will miss a few, my faves:

Funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding
Goodbye yellow brick road
Rocket man
Mona Lisa
Levon
Tiny dancer
Your song
Sad songs say so much
Don’t let the sun go down on me
Daniel
Crocodile rock
Blues for baby and me

In 1970, I heard a track called Border Song. It made me a fan. Been buying all his albums when they hit. LP, 12" singles, German DJM CD's, Gold CD's, SACD's, etc. Great 5.1 mixes. Caught him live a few times, incl Red Piano & w/Billy Joel.

I'd have a hard time distilling it to 100 tracks. 40 was more difficult. 40 faves:

1.) Come Down in Time,
2.) Your Song,
3.) Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding,
4.) Spiteful Child,
5.) Writing,
6.) Burn Down the Mission,
7.) Rocket Man,
8.) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,
9.) The Bitch is Back,
10.) Where Have All The Good Times Gone (Jump Up Version),
11.) Harmony,
12.) Candle in the Wind (GBYBR version),
13.) Border Song,
14.) Grey Seal (GYBR version),
15.) Levon,
16.) Love Song,
17.) Someone Saved My Life Tonight,
18.) Tiny Dancer,
19.) Honky Cat,
20.) Crocodile Rock,
21.) Empty Sky,
22.) Ballad Of Danny Bailey,
23.) Blue Eyes,
24.) Don't Go Breaking My Heart w/Kiki Dee,
25.) Little Jeannie w/Bill Champlin,
26.) Pinball Wizard,
27.) Crazy Water,
28.) Friends,
29.) I'm Still Standing,
30.) Sad Songs Say So Much,
31.) Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters,
32.) Daniel,
33.) Island Girl,
34.) Ego,
35.) Flames of Paradise w/Jennifer Rush,
36.) Kiss the Bride,
37.) Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word,
38.) Philadelphia Freedom,
39.) Just Like Strange Rain,
40.) Are You Ready for Love w/Spinners,

In 1970, I heard a track called Border Song. It made me a fan. Been buying all his albums when they hit. LP, 12" singles, German DJM CD's, Gold CD's, SACD's, etc. Great 5.1 mixes. Caught him live a few times, incl Red Piano & w/Billy Joel.

I'd have a hard time distilling it to 100 tracks. 40 was more difficult. 40 faves:

1.) Come Down in Time,
2.) Your Song,
3.) Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding,
4.) Spiteful Child,
5.) Writing,
6.) Burn Down the Mission,
7.) Rocket Man,
8.) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,
9.) The Bitch is Back,
10.) Where Have All The Good Times Gone (Jump Up Version),
11.) Harmony,
12.) Candle in the Wind (GBYBR version),
13.) Border Song,
14.) Grey Seal (GYBR version),
15.) Levon,
16.) Love Song,
17.) Someone Saved My Life Tonight,
18.) Tiny Dancer,
19.) Honky Cat,
20.) Crocodile Rock,
21.) Empty Sky,
22.) Ballad Of Danny Bailey,
23.) Blue Eyes,
24.) Don't Go Breaking My Heart w/Kiki Dee,
25.) Little Jeannie w/Bill Champlin,
26.) Pinball Wizard,
27.) Crazy Water,
28.) Friends,
29.) I'm Still Standing,
30.) Sad Songs Say So Much,
31.) Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters,
32.) Daniel,
33.) Island Girl,
34.) Ego,
35.) Flames of Paradise w/Jennifer Rush,
36.) Kiss the Bride,
37.) Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word,
38.) Philadelphia Freedom,
39.) Just Like Strange Rain,
40.) Are You Ready for Love w/Spinners,
Maybe a list of the ones you don’t like would be shorter 😀

What a great concert ! Bitch is Back is a real Rocker.
The Tower of Power provided the horns on the Caribou album giving it such force.
I have a real soft spot for Caribou since it was the first Elton record I bought when it was released with hard earned paperboy money.
Really hoping for a 50th anniversary bluray MC edition this year

Don't get me started an Elton. When I think back to my teenage years, there really are just a small handful of artists who made a major impact on me emotionally. (sure, the one hit wonders, but that's a different discussion)

• Elton John - Greatest Hits Vol 2. Literally, this whole album was maybe my most played album back in the day. I had the vinyl, and played the living shit out of it.
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. Same story, I played the vinyl till it fell on the floor. Major impact.
  • Kansas - Leftoverture. Killer, I had no clue what prog was, but I loved this album
  • Queen - News Of The World. Smoked a lot of weed listening to this one. Lots of play time in my Cutlass 4.4.2.
  • Journey - Departure. No shit man. This one just rocked my world. I wore it out, over and over.

Back