Recording INPUTS for 5.1 Newbie question RE: QUad 8 track recorder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikpepe

Can I buy this and use it as a stand alone recorder recording let's say fr fl rs ls from analog outputs from my oppo 93? How hard is it to get tapes?

What I want to do is SOME /ANY easy method of recording the 5.1 analog outputs from my oppo 93 to some sort of recording device. Is there a sound card that has analog (digital OK I guess) 5.1 INPUTS (not outputs not outputs not outputs} There has to be a way to do this at a modest price. Any ideas?

Will you Quad 8 track deck actually record in Quad? Nearly all will play in Quad, but only record in 2ch. To my knowledge, only the Akai CR-80D-SS, which I own, will record in Quad.

ANY 8-track tape will record in Quad. Your deck should have a 4ch override switch that will change the display from 2ch to 4ch. TRUE Quad blanks have a notch in the upper left hand corner, which allows the deck to recognize it as 4ch. The only TRUE Quad blanks I've ever used are Columbia (CBS) Magnetics ConvertaQuads. They have the notch and a tab which can be placed in the notch for 2ch use.

Since I don't have an Oppo, I'm unfamiliar with it's menus. It may have selections for phantom center and no sub, though that is usually a setting on surround preamps and receivers. That would route all 6 channels to 4.

Yes, there are computer programs which will allow you to do what you desire. Since I've yet to delve into that, other members here would be the ones to advise you.

The Technics RS858 series of decks will record quad also. For computer interfaces there are a few to choose from brands like MOTU, Edirol, Echo, M-audio, Apogee (Mac only) and more. They all make devices that can capture multiple inputs of analog audio.

A_L

Back