Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, DobyBlue. So I'm going to try to burn Left Right and Center channels at 24/96 and the Left and Right Surrounds and LFE at 16/48. But the instructions don't seem to match what my copy of HD-Audio Solo Ultra looks like.

Here's what I've got for Group 1:

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 11.56.32 AM.jpg

And here's what I've got for Group 2:

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 11.56.50 AM.jpg

Is that correct? I can't seem to make any other choices (I am stuck at 6 channels for each group and can't choose any other option). It says the resulting disc will be 30 tracks (instead of 15) and be too big for a single DVD.

I am tired of burning DVDs to listen to QUAD and 5.1 rips etc...

What's the best file format to rip a 4.0 or 5.1 DTS DVD to and what software is the best to use? I plan on using Plex media server to stream from my PC to my SmartTV so whatever works best with that would be ideal.

Check out my post here.

If you have a DTS DVD, then I would suggest ripping to .dts files using dvdae, then converting the .mka using MKVMerge (not all software properly plays back .dts or .ac3 files, but they always work well when they're in the .mka container format).

I am happy to say after great pains, I have successfully ripped the 5.1 from the XTC Oranges and Lemons Blu-ray and burned it to DVD-A on a Mac. However the resulting disc is 24/48, not the original 24/96. How could this have happened?

I used MakeMKV to Decrypt the disc, then used DVD Audio Extractor to rip to FLAC, then used Cirlinca (through Windows via VMWare Fusion) to create an ISO, then I burned the ISO to disc. At what point could the downconversion have happened?

DVD Audio Extractor does not 'see' DTS 96KHz. It can only convert 'core' DTS at 48kHz.

I guess the question is: can you hear any critical difference between 96 and 48kHz versions. If not Then you're OK as is.

If you want 96kHz use Audiomuxer (free) to convert the original files to FLAC. It doesn't have such a easy/intuitive interface but it does the job.

What's the best file format to rip a 4.0 or 5.1 DTS DVD to and what software is the best to use? I plan on using Plex media server to stream from my PC to my SmartTV so whatever works best with that would be ideal.

I use an Intel NUC (tiny PC about 100mm X 100mm x 40mm) with Kodi (OpenElec and Kodi which is a Linux build). You can run Windows on the NUC). It has a LAN and HDMI connection and USB.

There are quite a few media players that support PLEX or Kodi and through HDMI cable to a receiver can play multichannel FLAC or DTS and/or DD HD and DSD files at full bitrates and sample rates from file based storage (e.g. USB drives or a NAS without 'server' software such as PLEX). Kodi is a user interface to your media files - player, playlists, fan art, artist info etc

Check out the devices here: www.openelec.tv

Some are quite inexpensive IMO and come with HDTV tuners etc.

This one looks interesting and runs Kodi: http://www.xtreamer.net/Prodigy-4k/

Edit: that last one has a demo of the user interface but not sure if it supports 5.1 FLAC. Their forum is closed to non registered viewers which I suspect means they are hiding issues, but that's just my opinion. Anyway it's not an open system so I wouldn't touch it. The only thing I found was that it uses the previous Kodi version not latest. The YouTube demo gives an idea of what the future is for these media boxes though!

Thanks, DobyBlue. So I'm going to try to burn Left Right and Center channels at 24/96 and the Left and Right Surrounds and LFE at 16/48. But the instructions don't seem to match what my copy of HD-Audio Solo Ultra looks like.

Here's what I've got for Group 1:

And here's what I've got for Group 2:

Is that correct? I can't seem to make any other choices (I am stuck at 6 channels for each group and can't choose any other option). It says the resulting disc will be 30 tracks (instead of 15) and be too big for a single DVD.

The setting looks correct, but why do you have the same tracks for both Group 1 and Group 2? Are you confusing the Channel-Group settings with the Group 1 and Group 2 for album tracks?

A second Group would allow you to put a second album on the disc, unlikely to have space with 5.1 24/96 but most likely you'd have space if you were burning SD tracks and wanted them to run sequentially. I've done this before at tailgating events, put several 16/44.1 albums on in their own groups, burned as a DVD-A and taken an old Pioneer Elite DV-45a with me.

Anyway, tangent! As for the settings, the drop down tells Cirlinca what you want the 2nd Channel-Group to be, not to be confused with album grouping. So the 6 means you want the output to be 5.1 and the 16/48@ELR is what you're looking for as E = LFE channel, L and R = surround left and right. The output settings you have plugged in command 24/96 for the other channels which would be your Group 1 Channel-Group, in this case FL, FR and C.

You'll notice the next option on the drop down would be 6 24/48@CELR which means you'll now have Center, LFE, Surround Left and Surround Right as your 24/48 and 24/96 will be just front left and front right.

Untitled.png

If you're only trying to burn those 15 files, you should ONLY have tracks in "Group 1" and then make your Channel setting 6 16/48@ELR then go ahead and burn. :)

Are you then going from your TV > AVR via HDMI w/ARC for surround channels?

Check out my post here.

If you have a DTS DVD, then I would suggest ripping to .dts files using dvdae, then converting the .mka using MKVMerge (not all software properly plays back .dts or .ac3 files, but they always work well when they're in the .mka container format).

thanks for the tips. i'll fuck around with this crap tonite and see how it goes.

Thanks Doby! I was confusing it with album grouping. That explains it. I'm pretty sure I had 16/48@ELR set for my last go-round. Would Oppo still read the disc as 24/48? Or should it read as 24/96 since the front and center channels are at that resolution?

I managed to get ahold of Discwelder Chrome and MLP Encoder. Are there any step by step instructions for how to rip individual channels to WAV with MakeMKV (or do I use DVD Audio Extractor?) and then convert to MLP in an attempt to get a true 24/96 5.1 disc?

Are you then going from your TV > AVR via HDMI w/ARC for surround channels?

Plex app on SmartTV (which plays the files from the laptop) to Yamaha receiver with Surround Decode setting on.

Ok, I've just ripped the audio into six separate WAVs for each track. Here's my question: How do I know which WAV is for which channel? They're numbered 1-6, but I have no way of knowing which one is FR, FL, C, SR, SL or LFE. I can pretty much distinguish between front and back channels, but not left and right!

Actually, I just found this. Is it accurate?

Channel 1 = Front Left
Channel 2 = Front right
Channel 3 = Centre
Channel 4 = Low Frequency (Sub)
Channel 5 = Rear left
Channel 6 = Rear right

Quick update: I've successfully encoded each track into .mlp files usine MLP Encoder and have built my disc in Discwelder Chrome II (Build 2.0.25). But when I create a Disc Image, I get this at the very end of the process:

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 11.43.39 PM.jpg

What could the problem be?

If you haven't messed around with Audiomuxer and the old Arcsoft files, you might want to go that direction. Once you get it set up and get over the learning curve it's as easy to use as DAE.

Thanks Doby! I was confusing it with album grouping. That explains it. I'm pretty sure I had 16/48@ELR set for my last go-round. Would Oppo still read the disc as 24/48? Or should it read as 24/96 since the front and center channels are at that resolution?

I managed to get ahold of Discwelder Chrome and MLP Encoder. Are there any step by step instructions for how to rip individual channels to WAV with MakeMKV (or do I use DVD Audio Extractor?) and then convert to MLP in an attempt to get a true 24/96 5.1 disc?

Most should read it as 24/96 but I'm not sure given it's not really a spec'd DVD-A at this point how all players will read it. Lowest rez? Highest rez? Front? Rear? :)

As for your error, I never got that far...I gave up and just went with Cirlinca's lower resolution method for rears/LFE. If asked to take a shot in the dark I'd suggest making sure you're using a DVD+R blank and not a -R? I've found +R discs to be more reliable.

Actually, the error only occurs when trying to create an image. I was able to successfully burn a DVD-A of Oranges and Lemons 5.1 in full 24/96 MLP. Phew. That was hard.

Here's a strange phenomenon: the clock on my player counts the seconds slowly (like 1/3 speed) while music is playing. When a song finishes, the clock runs at normal speed, but the track keeps playing silence for another minute before going to the next song.

Could this have something to do with running Windows through my Mac? It's so weird!

Crap - didn't want to read 77 posts to see if there is an answer...so...

Will DVD-Audio Extractor do an easy rip of Blu-ray audio discs?? I use it for other formats and it's super easy to use...even for me. :violin

Crap - didn't want to read 77 posts to see if there is an answer...so...

Will DVD-Audio Extractor do an easy rip of Blu-ray audio discs?? I use it for other formats and it's super easy to use...even for me. :violin

Depends. If it's an older Blu-Ray disc (like pre-2012), then yes.
If it's after that, you'll probably need to use a decrypting software (like MakeMKV) to rip the entire disc to your computer, and then you can use that ripped and decrypted copy in DVDAE to make whatever files from it you wish.

Back