Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay! Let's take a bet to see which disc falls out and hits the floor first, after some time. I'll bet it's the flimsy cheap disc holding jewel case. ;)

Ok, fine, but while we're at it, let's take a bet to see which disc gets more scratched up after some time too. Those cardboard slits are the perfect way to get a disc all scratched up, while I almost never have that issue with plastic disc holders, not to mention that I take very good care of my discs so I usually never have much of an issue with cases or plastic holders breaking. ;)

I bought a Bjork SACD that came in "slit packaging". The new disk was pre-scratched, and quite a bit.

Slightly out of topic, but Roger premiered a song from his new album (well, yes, I'll create a thread for this album when I believe it's going to happen) in Newport Folk Festival: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZ209AoDGg
Judge yourselves, for now it leaves me a bit cold.
In the meantime I'm patiently waiting for my ATD copy to arrive. I forgot I had bought one in Amazon France and the b*****s sent it by regular mail! I also bought the SACD at Elusive and it appears as back ordered, not good.
I was in such despair yesterday that I tried to buy it at a physical store in Madrid and it was nowhere to be found.
Maybe it was for good, as I got a terrible cold and my ears are numb.

Ok, fine, but while we're at it, let's take a bet to see which disc gets more scratched up after some time too. Those cardboard slits are the perfect way to get a disc all scratched up, while I almost never have that issue with plastic disc holders, not to mention that I take very good care of my discs so I usually never have much of an issue with cases or plastic holders breaking. ;)

I've taken to putting all my CD/DVDA/BDA that come in the cardboard sleeves into these plastic inserts,

http://store.soundsourcecds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_82&products_id=243

Which is the only place I've ever found selling them.

I am surprised that there is not even a screensaver when you play the BluRay, would it have been that hard to include one ?

Sounds brilliant though, that's the main thing (y)

I am surprised that there is not even a screensaver when you play the BluRay, would it have been that hard to include one ?

Sounds brilliant though, that's the main thing (y)

Authoring is very, let's say, basic. However, there are a couple of interesting surprises on the Blu-ray. Both in stereo and surround menus, go to the sub-menu to select the individual songs. And just stay there... You can listen to 5.1 alternate mixes of a couple of songs (Bravery is the most interesting, haunting re arrangement)

duplicate post

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 583
Authoring is very, let's say, basic. However, there are a couple of interesting surprises on the Blu-ray. Both in stereo and surround menus, go to the sub-menu to select the individual songs. And just stay there... You can listen to 5.1 alternate mixes of a couple of songs (Bravery is the most interesting, haunting re arrangement)

Yes, that is a nice one. Looking at the timer, I first thought it would be a whole bunch of alternate mixes, but it is only a loop :) Still nice to hear.

"And back to packaging, the plastic disc holder that the SACD packaging has is much preferred for me rather than just shoving the discs in cardboard slits, which is what the Blu-Ray has.
Plus it looks like the SACD version is more of a digibook style packaging, so it's a harder and more sturdy packaging than the flimsy cardboard that is the CD/Blu-Ray edition."

Yes, the SCAD packaging is much nicer, that's what an extra $8 bucks or whatever gets you! In fact, since I mistakenly pre-ordered this twice........at cost $30 gets anyone who wants it an unopened SACD version. PM me. John

There is no sticker stating only one per customer, so as it's a limited edition I bought two, I already had the BD through the post earlier that day.

Talking of the BD if one goes the multi channel song selection menu there is a five and a half minute instrumental version of 'Bravery', on the stereo menu is another version of 'Miracle' only two and a half mins though. (kick me if this has already been posted)

How odd but well done! (y)
The couple of copies in HMV Oxford St had the "limited to one customer" sticker as in the pic I posted on here when I got one last week.

Yes, that is a nice one. Looking at the timer, I first thought it would be a whole bunch of alternate mixes, but it is only a loop :) Still nice to hear.

Bravery on the multi channel menu is a five and a half minute instrumental, a bit more than a loop, Miracle on the stereo menu is two and a half mins, neither is the same as the album versions proper.

Bravery on the multi channel menu is a five and a half minute instrumental, a bit more than a loop, Miracle on the stereo menu is two and a half mins, neither is the same as the album versions proper.
I know, but it goes on for an hour. That was I referring too as a loop. On repeat fits it better, as it is just one song that goes on, and on, and on , and on.

I caved and listened to the stereo mix on iTunes this morning. Some of the changes are nice, but am not sure if I'm crazy about what was done with "Bravery". I'm also wondering if he got the okay from the Kubrick estate to use that bit of 2001 in "Perfect Sense, Part I" since he didn't back in '92.

As a side-note for any of you who, like me, tend to rip to multichannel using DVD Audio Extractor.

I have the BD of this title and used DVD-AE to rip to multichannel flac...but there was a hitch. The subsection of the disc that contains the multichannel tracks ALSO contains some "junk" (Menu loops, etc.) tracks that are stereo only and they are kind of hiding at the end of the long list of tracks and are pretty easy to miss. You have to de-select these before you try to rip, or you will be constrained to only stereo or mono for output format - which would be rather disappointing.

So there is your BD-Ripping tipping of the day.

Back