Roland Sound Space 3-D

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleMoustache

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I’ve fallen down a bit of a rabbit hole here:

I’m currently waiting for USPS to deliver a record from Bandcamp (also Blue Man Group’s Audio, but that’s beside the point). The album is the fantastic Woob 1194, an Ambient Techno/Dub album from the long defunct em:t label, an Ambient Techno/Dub label that mandated every album be the name of the artist, the release year, and a catalogue number (thus 1194). While the label is dead, the artist lives on, releasing new work (sadly nothing quite like 1194) through his Bandcamp. The record was crowdfunded through Bandcamp and pressed by Bandcamp themselves.

I was looking to see if someone has already made a discogs entry, since I’m too lazy to make one myself, and someone has… and it includes a piece of interesting info. In the notes section, it’s claimed that: “These recordings have been spatially expanded using Roland® Sound Space 3-D sound imaging system.”. It’s also mentioned on this listing for a repress of the CD (this vinyl run is the first vinyl run) from back in the day.

Roland still has a page up for the processing unit, but no photos or much detail. I can find a listing on reverb for one of the units, as well as an offhand mention in the Wikipedia page for Ambiophonics.

Piecing those together, it sounds like a Q-Sound like implementation, but even less common than Q-Sound was. Anyone happen to know any more? I will say, I’ve loved this album for a while, though I’ve pretty much exclusively listened to it through headphones, and it does have a wide sound to it.

Quick edit: found a demo of it on youtube. Definitely Q-Sound-y

Second Edit: found a Sound on Sound article for it: Roland RSS10

Last edited:
I don't know much (or anything ) about the Roland Space Surround System.

But I do know of one recording that utilized it.

Telarc's ..Steve Reid's Bamboo Forest -Mysteries CD 83415

If you know anything about Telarc , then you would know they experimented with a variety of Surround Sound applications.
This is the only disc I know of with the use of the Roland system.

16865109814803257487220882013496.jpg
16865110183072875645142286450485.jpg

I don't know much (or anything ) about the Roland Space Surround System.

But I do know of one recording that utilized it.

Telarc's ..Steve Reid's Bamboo Forest -Mysteries CD 83415

If you know anything about Telarc , then you would know they experimented with a variety of Surround Sound applications.
This is the only disc I know of with the use of the Roland system.

View attachment 92606View attachment 92607

Found this other one:

https://www.discogs.com/release/16886-Undark-Undark-3396

I've got that Steve Reid CD fizzy, haven't tried it through my SMv2 or Penteo yet, but it would probably do nicely either way.

It was also released as a dts CD, but don't have that one to compare (they are rare):

https://www.discogs.com/release/23642855-Steve-Reids-Bamboo-Forest-Mysteries
Most of those Telarc's I believe were with the Spatializer system.

I also found some stuff on discogs with the Roland Sound Space (Recorded By) search; but not sure if it used that system in the recordings etc.

https://www.discogs.com/label/692493-Roland-Sound-Space
Couldn't see anything on the Swing Out Sister liner notes.

Here's some liner notes on that Billy Idol (Binaural... and Roland Sound Space recording)

1686515467151.png

Ok so Ive listened to Flashpoint on my earbuds. Its been years since I pulled out this cd

1 I love the Steel Wheels album and miss listening to it.
2. The Stones were great on that tour and I saw them at their Los Angeles Colosseum stops. (Guns and Roses opened for them)
3 This is a great live album

Did RSS improve it? First I think the performances were good. Previously I only really liked the Get Yer Ya Yas Out live Stones
This is recorded very well. I can distinctly hear all of the instruments and voices with space around them. Whether its due to good miking mixing or the RSS or all combined I cant say..
The two new studio tracks appended to the cd are also recorded well and clear but they are studio creations so should be.

This is a good stereo listening experience.

Will this upmix like Q Sound? Don't know yet.

She hit me over the head with a bottle and put in THREE DIMES !
Got my undark3396 in today and am running the files through Penteo; results are impressive!

Lots of nice Bass also :smokin

Not sure where the discogs "Notes" came from for 'Roland® Sound Space 3-D sound imaging system' stuff as it's nowhere on my CD package :unsure:

I'll report back with more as I get it all through the first try outs.

Gotta thank @PurpleMoustache for finding this system/gear/audio etc. 🤗

I notice that there are quite a few (20ish) of the RSS encodes from that New Age "Relaxing With Nature" series .
Lot's from Canada , and I wonder why I've never seen these before. Or I did but I never paid too much attention.

Anyways by likes of the demo listening position these RSS discs are another 2 speaker surround system , much like Spatializer, Holophonics,
Q-Sound , etc.

Back