Roxy Music - Avalon: Domestic Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re: Blond on Blond stereo mix on SACD

dabl said:
False. It's the same mix which was used on the previous stereo SACD version of the record.

Yes, but that *was* a remix, done for the first SACD issue of the album.

timbre4 said:
Got to listen to the Avalon SACD last night and what a treat! Too bad the album seems short by today's standards. The sound is absolutely pristine and beautiful. The booklet and packaging are great; says Made in Holland and catalog #7243 5 83871 2 4 ROXYSACD9

Is the this the *exact* disc I could have easily paid $10 more for, just a few weeks ago? ;)

Buy this disc without hesitation! Mine was $13.29 at CD Universe...

Yes, glad the EMI folks brought these over from Europe. We'll have to see if they plan to import more of the EMI European SACDs.

Got it last week. Incredible surround mix. My only complaint might be that there is a bit too much information in the center channel, but otherwise it's one of the best discs I have.

daved64 said:
Got it last week. Incredible surround mix. My only complaint might be that there is a bit too much information in the center channel, but otherwise it's one of the best discs I have.

Agreed. I herad this disc yesterday. I'm not the biggest Roxy Music fan but I would buy this disc! Hands down one of the best SACD surround discs in existence. It really works.

daved64 said:

I love the bass in the centre. There aren't a lot of dics that use the full capability of the centre.

Guy Robinson said:
I love the bass in the centre. There aren't a lot of dics that use the full capability of the centre.

You're right. The Surround Mixes I've heard usually put some or all of the vocals in the Center. But some of Michael Bishop's Surround mixes at Telarc have used it for instrument solos like this.

I also find that the better the quality of your SACD player, the more you enjoy things in center front only. It can be quite compelling.

Bought this disk last week and have just finished listening to most of it. Having never heard the album before, I was very pleased with the "lush" sounds from all channels and the overall mix, very effective surrounds and center.

I wouldn't say this recording is as good as Peter Gabriel's Up, but it's very good. Up still ranks "up" there as No.1 SACD in my collection.

Some of the SACD's I've bought so far, especially classical and some older jazz material, are using surrounds for ambience. The DVD-A's and dts's seem bolder on surrounds. Such as ELP and Yes.

I haven't seen a "Best of Roxy Music" SACD anywhere yet. Is it pretty good on surround mix?

Unfortunately, the Best of Roxy Music is merely 2.0 stereo. Probably sounds great, but I'm not breaking my neck on any of these releases. Avalon, Ziggy Stardust and other surround releases are showing the way...

Back