Rush - A Farewell to Kings 40th anniversary box set (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix included)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now, and in one word, capitalized for emphasis: STUNNING

Thanks for the heads-up on the warehouse deals, Clint. I'm really glad I didn't miss out on this. Even at $90, it was a hard pill to swallow, but hearing it for the first time, I have no regrets on this purchase. Plus, it comes with a dorky ring/necklace thing that truly enhances the listening experience.

Pray to the prog lords that Rush continue with more 40th anniversary 5.1 releases (from a talented surround engineer, and hopefully in a more affordable package).

Listening now, and in one word, capitalized for emphasis: STUNNING

Thanks for the heads-up on the warehouse deals, Clint. I'm really glad I didn't miss out on this. Even at $90, it was a hard pill to swallow, but hearing it for the first time, I have no regrets on this purchase. Plus, it comes with a dorky ring/necklace thing that truly enhances the listening experience.

Pray to the prog lords that Rush continue with more 40th anniversary 5.1 releases (from a talented surround engineer, and hopefully in a more affordable package).

I'm glad you took a chance on it....if you don't have a turntable maybe you can sell the vinyl and get some of your money back....just saying

I just picked up the box from Amazon as one of those Warehouse Deals too. About $90 shipped. Listed as “Used- Very Good” but this thing was brand new. Only missing the shrink wrap, everything was mint. The vinyl clearly had never been removed from the sleeves.

The cynical side of me suspects that that someone bought it new, made a copy of the discs, then returned it for a full refund.

Anyway, it beats the $130+ prices I keep seeing on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up the box from Amazon as one of those Warehouse Deals too. About $90 shipped. Listed as “Used- Very Good” but this thing was brand new. Only missing the shrink wrap, everything was mint. The vinyl clearly had never been removed from the sleeves.

The cynical side of me suspects that that someone bought it new, made a copy of the discs, then returned it for a full refund.

Anyway, it beats the $130+ prices I keep seeing on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like how Peart's kit is spread out in the rears! Nice score...

Check out amazonUS..now let me mention that there are none on importcds...elusive disc...bullmoose...music direct...acoustic sounds...and get this...no current listing on Ebay from US sellers!...so yes that is a good deal(y)

Yup, seems kinda hard to find... and Amazon US has since gone up to $215.00...and Hemispheres isn't a Wilson mix...and I never picked this one up...uh...about $130.00 on Amazon UK...

HMV
Amazon UK

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say it.

I like parts of Steven Wilson's Mix but I also like parts of Chycki's 2011 Sectors 2 DVD-A mix of AFTK.

Steven's is a bit bright for me and Chyckis is a little dated and muddy sounding but there are parts I like Steven's mix and panning of discrete instruments and same goes for Chyckis.

If only I could mix the two together with the best parts from each and make Steven's sound more analog and Chycksi's sound more digital.

Cygnus X-1 and Xanadu are my go to songs on this album and each mixer definitely had their own "interpretation" and for what it's worth, both are good. On each song I hear different things (and that's a good thing) and I just feel as if I could meld each of the better parts together then the song would finally sound the way "it was meant to".

I mean each song would then represent the best recordings of each part (or instrument) so more faithful to what Rush actually laid down in the studio.

Steven's mix gets an 8.9
Chycki's gets an 7.8

Last edited:
Back