Rush-Fly By Night

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo! I just switched over to Dolby True HD...and I hear something odd with cymbal...or at least the start of the song...cymbal or even other stuff.

Yeah - that sounds like what i'm getting... I get it on DTS-HD MA (and Dolby TrueHD- IIRC)

Yeah - that sounds like what i'm getting... I get it on DTS-HD MA (and Dolby TrueHD- IIRC)

So, between the 3 audio formats.

DTS-HD MA....maybe...just maybe...I sense the cymbal crash is short..otherwise, nothing else.
STEREO - all sounds absolutely normal..and by the way, this jams big time in 2 channel....I'm impressed.
Dolby True HD - something sounds off with this to my ears....I don't like the way it sounds. I hardly hear the cymbal at all..like it's not there.

So no "glitch" when the lyrics load on track 2 with the initial cymbal crash?

I don't do much critical listening during the week, but I'll make a point to listen to Best I Can (track 2) the next chance I get and see if I hear anything amiss. I also have the CD (and the original vinyl I bought back in '74), so I can compare it to that too.

So no "glitch" when the lyrics load on track 2 with the initial cymbal crash?

The only glitch I'm hearing is the missing 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the first track (Anthem). The cymbal crash at the beginning of track two (Best I Can) sounds normal to me, and I compared it to the original CD. The stereo version on the Blu-ray sounds fine and does not have any defects. And I'm in complete agreement with GOS; this disc smokes! It may not have the most discrete 5.1 mix, but it gets you were you want to go.

The only glitch I'm hearing is the missing 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the first track (Anthem). The cymbal crash at the beginning of track two (Best I Can) sounds normal to me, and I compared it to the original CD. The stereo version on the Blu-ray sounds fine and does not have any defects. And I'm in complete agreement with GOS; this disc smokes! It may not have the most discrete 5.1 mix, but it gets you were you want to go.

I got a chance to listen to this one for only the second listening session on Saturday night. Many of the songs I played a couple of times. You can't really do a lot with just three musicians and I'm quite satisfied with the way this album sounds. It's enveloping and that is all I hoped for it to be. (y)

I got a chance to listen to this one for only the second listening session on Saturday night. Many of the songs I played a couple of times. You can't really do a lot with just three musicians and I'm quite satisfied with the way this album sounds. It's enveloping and that is all I hoped for it to be. (y)

What do you mean by "you can't really do a lot with just three musicians"? Three musicians can sound like ten musicians on record with modern studio techniques. The question here isn't musical content; it's a quality control issue. We pay a good buck for these surround titles and too many people on this forum accept the too frequent problems as an expected thing. Just off the top of my head, there was the Aqualung BDA, Thick as a Brick (at least they corrected THAT one), Arriving Somewhere....DVD, and now Fly By Night, all with glitches. And I'm sure I missed some.

Just off the top of my head, there was the Aqualung BDA, Thick as a Brick (at least they corrected THAT one), Arriving Somewhere....DVD, and now Fly By Night, all with glitches. And I'm sure I missed some.
I must have missed it, what was the problem with the Arriving Somewhere....Dvd?

I must have missed it, what was the problem with the Arriving Somewhere....Dvd?

So Called Friend. It's a hesitation in the video and other posters call it a "layer freeze", so maybe it's where the player changes layers and is necessary. But whatever the reason, it's distracting.

So Called Friend. It's a hesitation in the video and other posters call it a "layer freeze", so maybe it's where the player changes layers and is necessary. But whatever the reason, it's distracting.
Played it through again this evening and didn't notice a hesitation or freeze. I have the two disc version with the stock paper holder, sort of a large, rectangular, "slip in" digipack. Maybe it's version specific. I was listening with the front house windows open (to my back) and as the song ended, the ice cream man drove past. For a fraction of a second I thought to myself, I've never heard that before:eek:

Played it through again this evening and didn't notice a hesitation or freeze. I have the two disc version with the stock paper holder, sort of a large, rectangular, "slip in" digipack. Maybe it's version specific. I was listening with the front house windows open (to my back) and as the song ended, the ice cream man drove past. For a fraction of a second I thought to myself, I've never heard that before:eek:
LOL! I'm envious of you having your windows open. I had single digit temps this morning! Anyway, it sounds like I have the same version as yours. Maybe you have a later corrected copy. Just guessing.

Is anyone noticing "glitches" at the start of the tracks on the Blu-ray. :(

As an example when Track 2 starts the initial cymbal crash isn't right - it has a "gap" in the splash.... seems to happen when the lyrics are loading at the start of tracks..

The DVD-Audio is fine. I also ripped the DTS-HD MA 5.1 and it plays fine... so the actual audio is fine.

I have a Oppo BDP-83SE. Is anyone else experiencing this?

My first post: I know this thread is old but I recently bought the Blu-ray pure audio disc of Fly By Night and wanted to report that I had issues playing the surround audio tracks on a OPPO BDP-103D. The beginning of each track was skipping the 1st second of the song. The stereo track was fine and if I played the disc on a different Blu-ray player there was no skipping/clipping. I contacted OPPO who suggested to change the HDMI audio out from Bit Stream to LPCM. I tried that and it did help when selecting the DTS-HD 5.1 mode but still had clipping in Dolby TrueHD mode. OPPO also mentioned that others have reported an issue with this same title and they will try and add a fix in a future firmware update. Fyi.

My first post: I know this thread is old but I recently bought the Blu-ray pure audio disc of Fly By Night and wanted to report that I had issues playing the surround audio tracks on a OPPO BDP-103D. The beginning of each track was skipping the 1st second of the song. The stereo track was fine and if I played the disc on a different Blu-ray player there was no skipping/clipping. I contacted OPPO who suggested to change the HDMI audio out from Bit Stream to LPCM. I tried that and it did help when selecting the DTS-HD 5.1 mode but still had clipping in Dolby TrueHD mode. OPPO also mentioned that others have reported an issue with this same title and they will try and add a fix in a future firmware update. Fyi.
I have the same player, and I had no problems with clipped intros in 5.1 (DTS-HD) once I rewound the first track to play from the beginning. The rest played as they should.

Whoa..just had a flashback from my childhood...when I was a kid we had an ice cream truck that came in our subdivision...we called him "ice cream Joe"...there would be a line of kids waiting to get some goodies..once we heard the music coming from his truck...as soon as that music started playing it was like a magnet for every kid in the neighborhood to assemble...good times:)

Welcome to the forum:bounce17

Welcome!!

A few years ago, I got completely fed up with my Oppo 83 clipping the beginning milliseconds of songs on stupidly mastered DVD-As. I switched to PC playback and never looked back. I still buy original discs, but the first thing I do with any of them is rip them to FLAC or MKA. No screwing around with menus, no waiting for animations or trailers to play, no discs spinning up or reading heads moving around, no clipping... It's a simple one-step system now! Step 1: double-click on song. I love it :)

FWIW, one thing I noticed was that it happened on DVD-As where each song had its own title in the file structure, instead of songs being consecutive chapters inside titles. After every song, the read head would move to another position and then back as it advanced to the next title, and in the process, the beginnings of songs got clipped. Might be that something like this is happening with the Fly By Night Blu-Ray.

Back