Rush-Fly By Night

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my copy in, and it's essentially a carbon clone of the DVD-A released in the Sector 1 box set, the only differences being DTS-HD MA and DolbyTruHD instead of MLP and of course now with High-Def menus and graphics.

If you are scared off from getting this release because of bad reviews on here, don't be!
The fact is this is not a flashy 5.1 surround mix ("By-Tor" being an exception in parts), but keep in mind that this is a trio album with minimal overdubbing.
This is a solid, tight mix that truly reveals not only the incredible playing of Geddy, Neil, and Alex, but it also showcases Terry Brown's great production and engineering skills that make these classic RUSH albums what they are.

Therefore I say go out and buy, that way we can continue to send a message to UMe that 5.1 is in for these HFPA releases! :)

Thanks rt! :) Does the HFPA Stereo strike you as the same as the Sector 24/96 Stereo?

Thanks rt! :) Does the HFPA Stereo strike you as the same as the Sector 24/96 Stereo?

No clue. I don't think I ever played the stereo mix on the DVD-A at all, and I highly doubt I will play the stereo mix on this HFPA. For me, it's all about the surround.

Just got my copy in, and it's essentially a carbon clone of the DVD-A released in the Sector 1 box set, the only differences being DTS-HD MA and DolbyTruHD instead of MLP and of course now with High-Def menus and graphics.

If you are scared off from getting this release because of bad reviews on here, don't be!
The fact is this is not a flashy 5.1 surround mix ("By-Tor" being an exception in parts), but keep in mind that this is a trio album with minimal overdubbing.
This is a solid, tight mix that truly reveals not only the incredible playing of Geddy, Neil, and Alex, but it also showcases Terry Brown's great production and engineering skills that make these classic RUSH albums what they are.

Therefore I say go out and buy, that way we can continue to send a message to UMe that 5.1 is in for these HFPA releases! :)

thanks rt....that's great news...might just have to indulge!

Supposedly the new high-res stereo download on HDTracks is a new mastering and has way more dynamic range than the old version that was available as part of the Sector 1 box set. It would be interesting to know if the Blu-Ray has that new mastering too.

I just got finished listening to the DVD version and i have to say its got to be the best sounding of the RUSH releases to date ! it has punch and dynamics and does not have that compressed tinny thin sound that Moving pictures has.
i will pick this up on BR for sure! i did notice that the picture on the disk label is different , wonder what thats all about?

yes I did. I didn't want to comment too much yet until I can really listen to it. But, I'll give a couple comments...but have learned my lesson about voting too soon.

Anthem - I thought the general sound and surround mix on that one was pretty weak. Seemed to me Peart's drums were literally buried....not to be heard. But, seemed like the very next song improved. I quickly clicked through all the songs. So, it's unfair for me to really say much. But....I will say there will likely be different opinions of each song in terms of overall sound. I would say, this disk has potential, but I'm certainly far from saying I was jumping up and down. I need time, to relax, turn it up and enjoy. My limited best guess is that I will be somewhat disappointed with a couple songs and pretty happy with others.

ON a side note, one of the songs toward the end, called Rivendell started out awesome. Just Geddy's voice and some acoustic Lifeson. That's what I'm talking about. It sounded great.

I'm just being candid about my first impression...but we all know about first impressions. I also agree that this disc has some warmth, it very well might jam. Not in the way of a Bryan Adams....but in another way. I need time....

That's the right avatar!...Did you get Fly By Night today?

Another comment....

I really do think I'm a picky bastard. Maybe too picky. I have so many discs that just sound so amazing...and in the end, that's what I love. But....to put this in perspective......I'm such a hardcore Sabbath fan that I actually like the Paranoid surround disc. I mean, it sounds mostly like hell...but I have found ways to really enjoy it. So...it just depends on what I thought I could survive with in terms of the age of the band...availability of surround titles...etc. Know what I mean?

Another comment....

I really do think I'm a picky bastard. Maybe too picky. I have so many discs that just sound so amazing...and in the end, that's what I love. But....to put this in perspective......I'm such a hardcore Sabbath fan that I actually like the Paranoid surround disc. I mean, it sounds mostly like hell...but I have found ways to really enjoy it. So...it just depends on what I thought I could survive with in terms of the age of the band...availability of surround titles...etc. Know what I mean?

Keep being picky...you are one of my core group that I depend on for honest evaluations of these discs...I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to settle for these discs that "maybe" sound a little better..if it's hi rez it should sound like it...I've made enough concessions in the past...I've got enough discs that are just collecting dust...I want something that I want to play..but having said that..content is king for me..so I can make some allowances...

Just give a candid response and I'll be happy..if you are bias due to the content(which happens sometimes)just give that disclaimer..

Yeah, appreciate those comments. So, of course, what I need to do is listen...intently. Song by song. That will happen this weekend. That's the best way for me to evaluate it because my first thought is that there is some "non-uniformity" between songs...in terms of the way I hear them. No joke, I thought Anthem (which is first song) sounded way too "close". Drums, guitar, vocal, bass...all shoved in a very small space. I was bummed. Then, the 2nd song came along, and I noticed a distinct difference. So....that's what I think. If the overall average of the disc pleases my ears...then to me...it's a winner. But if half of the songs have that display of closeness...eh....not so sure.

Keep being picky...you are one of my core group that I depend on for honest evaluations of these discs...I've gotten to the point where I'm not going to settle for these discs that "maybe" sound a little better..if it's hi rez it should sound like it...I've made enough concessions in the past...I've got enough discs that are just collecting dust...I want something that I want to play..but having said that..content is king for me..so I can make some allowances...

Just give a candid response and I'll be happy..if you are bias due to the content(which happens sometimes)just give that disclaimer..

Yeah, appreciate those comments. So, of course, what I need to do is listen...intently. Song by song. That will happen this weekend. That's the best way for me to evaluate it because my first thought is that there is some "non-uniformity" between songs...in terms of the way I hear them. No joke, I thought Anthem (which is first song) sounded way too "close". Drums, guitar, vocal, bass...all shoved in a very small space. I was bummed. Then, the 2nd song came along, and I noticed a distinct difference. So....that's what I think. If the overall average of the disc pleases my ears...then to me...it's a winner. But if half of the songs have that display of closeness...eh....not so sure.

To be candid I've been skeptical about this release..we will see..if it sounds like the DVD-A I don't want it..I was holding out hope there might some improvement.

Last edited:
For whatever it is worth, on the Hoffman forums a user indicated that the stereo stream on the Blu Ray appeared to be the same mastering as the DVD-A. Apparently By-Tor was the shorter version & the DR was very similar to the DVD-A. No mention of comparing the 5.1, however I can't imagine it would be different. With that info, I went ahead & pulled the trigger on the new HDTracks version - it is getting high marks across the board. I'll just stick with the DVD-A for the 5.1. The HDTracks version is downloading now. I'll report back on it once I get a listen, however that may not be until this weekend...

Also, at HDTracks you can use promo code HDJan27 for 15% off.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rush-fly-by-night-blu-ray-audio-and-vinyl.399367/page-6

Amazon UK now has the Sector 2 & 3 sets down to ÂŁ18.82 each. I've just ordered the Sector 2 set, so that's Farewell to Kings 5.1 sorted for me, with no need now for the upcoming blu ray :)

Got a chance to listen to the HDTracks this weekend. It sounds great. Definitely easier on the ears the Sector version. For those that didn't know, the download that comes with the Blu Ray is apparently 96/24 flac of the new version (even though the Sector mix is on the disc itself). At any rate, in my opinion the new version is the one to get.

I still haven't had a good chance to listen to the disc on my home system. But, I will say this. I was at the gym couple nights ago and had it on my headset and I thought it sounded awesome. Again, that wasn't surround, nor was it a high end headset.....but I could certainly tell that it sounded very good. Very full...I was getting into it.

As it has been posted..wHAT can you do with a gtr, a bass , drums and a vocal??? Not that much....
Any Rush in Surround (Their version of Surround) is alright with me...

Back