Rush-Fly By Night

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam....for some reason none of your links work for me...I get this message.."If you followed a valid link, please notify your administrator"

No idea I'm afraid, they're all showing (pics of on-screen menu's, which look great btw) at my end.. I'm feeling too sick at the moment to do it all over again, sorry.

Jon, are you there? :p Please help! :D

To me it doesn't seem very expensive..around $25..mainly because I just want the music..these "mondo" sets that have CD's...and all these versions of the same material...pictures of the band...they give you more things but the things they give you aren't something I want...maybe it's because I got into the hobby late and I have had to pay a high price for these out of print discs that it seems reasonable to me...I'm just happy they are offering these hi rez versions...but I'm hesitant about the Fly By Night title...based on Rush's previous attempts..but I know I'm going to get a good evaluation from Gos 2.0...

I've only had a quick listen through (the DTS HD 5.1) my right ears a bit blocked from the man flu so I'm loathe to comment on the surround and can't go into any detail but it sounded pretty good to me, very nice in fact, with lots of lovely warm low end up in front L&R for example.

To me it doesn't seem very expensive..around $25..mainly because I just want the music..these "mondo" sets that have CD's...and all these versions of the same material...pictures of the band...they give you more things but the things they give you aren't something I want...maybe it's because I got into the hobby late and I have had to pay a high price for these out of print discs that it seems reasonable to me...I'm just happy they are offering these hi rez versions...but I'm hesitant about the Fly By Night title...based on Rush's previous attempts..but I know I'm going to get a good evaluation from Gos 2.0...

I too await evaluations from GOS in the hat and sickly Fred. I suppose its not expensive in the grand scheme, its just relative to these other sets that the price (and concept) of the blu ray audios stick in the throat. I'll definitely get Farewell to Kings (my favourite Rush album), but will almost certainly give Signals (not an album I particularly care for) a miss at these prices.

I too await evaluations from GOS in the hat and sickly Fred. I suppose its not expensive in the grand scheme, its just relative to these other sets that the price (and concept) of the blu ray audios stick in the throat. I'll definitely get Farewell to Kings (my favourite Rush album), but will almost certainly give Signals (not an album I particularly care for) a miss at these prices.

I'm glad you mentioned "Gos in the hat"...I hate that avatar..but he's my friend......what are you going to do....he used to have Ted Nugent...which I liked a lot..

I'm glad you mentioned "Gos in the hat"...I hate that avatar..but he's my friend......what are you going to do....he used to have Ted Nugent...which I liked a lot..

hehehe - OK, OK. I didn't like the avatar either honestly. So, here is my better avatar....

What is great (and kinda heartwarming in a way) to see is the credit in the liners for Craig Anderson & David Dieckmann (Craigman Digital) as doing the authoring of this BDA.

They were the guys behind all those early Warner DVD-Audio titles.. real pioneers of Hi-Rez Surround discs in the early days, they essentially single-handedly/double-handed (!) came up with the interface and so forth that's on all those OOP DVD-A's we know & love... and now UMe have seemingly nabbed them for their HFPA thing! Nice!

http://www.craigmandigital.com/about.aspx

Thanks for the screenshots Adam... looks similar to the DVD-A...

20150128_063438 (600 x 337).jpg

What is great (and kinda heartwarming in a way) to see is the credit in the liners for Craig Anderson & David Dieckmann (Craigman Digital) as doing the authoring of this BDA.

They were the guys behind all those early Warner DVD-Audio titles.. real pioneers of Hi-Rez Surround discs in the early days, they essentially single-handedly/double-handed (!) came up with the interface and so forth that's on all those OOP DVD-A's we know & love... and now UMe have seemingly nabbed them for their HFPA thing! Nice!

http://www.craigmandigital.com/about.aspx

They've done all the Rush DVD-As (and I assume the Blu-rays)...

What resolution is the download voucher for that is included with the Blu Ray? I also wonder if the download is for the new Hi Rez mastering or the old one that was available last year.

Just got my copy in, and it's essentially a carbon clone of the DVD-A released in the Sector 1 box set, the only differences being DTS-HD MA and DolbyTruHD instead of MLP and of course now with High-Def menus and graphics.

If you are scared off from getting this release because of bad reviews on here, don't be!
The fact is this is not a flashy 5.1 surround mix ("By-Tor" being an exception in parts), but keep in mind that this is a trio album with minimal overdubbing.
This is a solid, tight mix that truly reveals not only the incredible playing of Geddy, Neil, and Alex, but it also showcases Terry Brown's great production and engineering skills that make these classic RUSH albums what they are.

Therefore I say go out and buy, that way we can continue to send a message to UMe that 5.1 is in for these HFPA releases! :)

Back