Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say we wait until more details come out. The press release is just that, a press release. No need to confuse the general public with tech talk.

Except for the dreadful Snakes & Arrows DVI.

Gotta give them credit for trying. Was it their fault or the creators of the DVI? How many DVIs were ever made? It seems to be more an issue of a bad format than a bad attempt by Rush.

Either way I'm definitely looking forward to the Blu-Ray. Except if:

From Tower.com -

Release Note
Blu-ray Features:

Widescreen
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
PCM 2.0 - English

Other sites have said it will be PCM 5.1. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

MVI. Not many and most were a waste of money.

Right. Whatever, it never comes out of its box. And I do think it is their fault that they let such a lousy sounding disc with their name on it get released. Of course, they're known for lousy sounding discs.

Right. Whatever, it never comes out of its box. And I do think it is their fault that they let such a lousy sounding disc with their name on it get released. Of course, they're known for lousy sounding discs.

I like the documentary. I've played the 5.1 a few times but it's not great overall. Musically though, it's their best album in years.

Picked the BD up in BestBuy on the way home. I thought it wasn't released until tomorrow. Hell, some sites were even showing December 2nd as the release date for the BD version.

Anyway, there is one disc in the BD version that contains everything that is in the SD version. It must be a 50GB disc.

Now for the good stuff. The 5.1 is DTS HD Master Audio!!!!! And what a track it is! When it started it sounded extremely clear but kind of anemic with a tad too much reverb/echo. However, when cranked up to a liberal volume the whole soundstage opened up and solidified. Just be careful that you don't set your bass too high at the beginning because once Geddy kicks the pedals in the bass is huge. I would start with "The Main Monkey Business" to set things up.

Oh, yes the video. I see so many of these great clear HD concerts lately that I am spoiled now. The video is HD and if you have seen The Police or Elton 60 you can expect similar with this one.

I love the opening with the comic stuff. Very good.

What's the point of the chickens cooking on stage?

Just typical Rush humour. They've had washing machines and vending machines. I think it's just a spoof of the rock concert excesses you see on stage.

Interesting answer that I received on another forum:

For the past couple of tours, Geddy runs his bass thru the PA and doesn't have any speakers on stage, so he decided to put stuff where his amps would usually be. For the Vapor Trails Tour he had clothes dryers and each show someone would come out to put more quarters in, or take out a load.

For S&A, occasionaly someone would come out and brush the "chickens" on the rotisserie, but basically it was to take up space on stage and balance out Alex's Amps.

Interesting answer that I received on another forum:

For the past couple of tours, Geddy runs his bass thru the PA and doesn't have any speakers on stage, so he decided to put stuff where his amps would usually be. For the Vapor Trails Tour he had clothes dryers and each show someone would come out to put more quarters in, or take out a load.

For S&A, occasionaly someone would come out and brush the "chickens" on the rotisserie, but basically it was to take up space on stage and balance out Alex's Amps.

Makes sense!

Picked this up yesterday after a bit of a "purchasing stall" - I had read that it was BD with DTS HD MA - but the package gave no indication other than the "5.1" symbol - after going back to my office and surfing a bit to determine that it was indeed DTS HD MA despite the lack of notation on the package, I made the leap of faith and picked it up. Glad I did - stellar picture and sound.

Note to label marketing/packaging dudes - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!! No more sublime or hidden messages please - this is a digi pack with barely even a mention of Blu Ray except for a small, faded logo on the package. Guess what? People willing to purchase BD live concerts are actually VERY interested in the audio codecs. Odd that this was released via Rounder though - typically the home of folk and roots/Americana based artists, one would think that Rush was a stretch - but enough of the bitching. If you have Blu Ray capability and DTS HD MA decoding, go for it - there is not much else out there even close to this.

I did state above that it was DTS Master Audio and while it is very good there are better sounding BD concerts out there.

Yes you did - and when I went back to the office and checked on line, your comment gave me the assurance that the packaging, as I stated, did not. Nevertheless, I look forward to more and better sounding BD concert discs as this was my first purchase in the format. I already own most of the relevant DVD or HD DVD concert vids out there and unless there is some extraordinary reason to double up I'll have to wait for a new one - there aren't many on the horizon (at least that I am aware of) - the next possibley decent one is KD Lang live with the BBC Orchestra on Image Entertainment (with DTS HD MA) streeting on Feb. 2.

Yes you did - and when I went back to the office and checked on line, your comment gave me the assurance that the packaging, as I stated, did not. Nevertheless, I look forward to more and better sounding BD concert discs as this was my first purchase in the format. I already own most of the relevant DVD or HD DVD concert vids out there and unless there is some extraordinary reason to double up I'll have to wait for a new one - there aren't many on the horizon (at least that I am aware of) - the next possibley decent one is KD Lang live with the BBC Orchestra on Image Entertainment (with DTS HD MA) streeting on Feb. 2.

If you like the Moody Blues do you have their BD?

Back