SACD vs. DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I have noticed in the hi rez spotlight section that people rate the various discs. However I would like to see head to head comparisions of titles released in both formats. Like say T Rex sacd vs. DVD-Audio, or the Marvin Gaye SACD vs. DVD-audio. Of course this would have to be done by people who either have both versions or access to both versions. This would help the rest of us to decide which provides the sonically superior performance. Of course some comparisions might not be totally fair such as the Deep Purpl discs because they are different mixes. However sound quality can still be judged. As I am sure some of us would be willing to get somethings because we prefer the mix more than the sound and vice versa.

Thanks,

Green

the issue of high rez formats has been discussed a number of times here. It all boils down to the individual listener. I feel dvd audio kiks ass. and after having that foramt 1st, then getting sacd I personally was extrememly disappointed in it. BUT! they did and do have the titles I want in multi-channel
Others feel sacd has a better sound(?????) head to head you will find not many comparable players to do this. Unless you go with one of the universal decks I suppose. Bottom line- what do YOU feel sounds better?

My gut feeling is that maybe the player is a big factor in which format sounds better.

On a dedicated SACD player (ie not based on a DVD chassis) does the SACD sound better?

On a universal player (almost always based on a DVD player) perhaps the DVD-A wins out.

Of course this is a huge generalization and doesn't factor in the cost, age or technology of the players involved.
If there was such a thing as similarly priced dedicated players for each format, from the same manufacturer, then maybe a meaningful comparison could be done.

DVD-A vs SA-CD... both kick ass sonically.

Neither is a superior format.

The only 'double-up' disc I own is 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'... Hey, what do I know.

From a stereo perspective, the SACD is a perfect medium, as you can have CD, SACD Stereo, and SACD 5.1, so the disc can be played (in stereo) in any car or home CD player, and in HiRez and 5.1 HiRez if you have an SACD player.

From a surround perspective, the DVD-Audio is the perfect medium, as you have a disc that can be played in 5.1 in any DVD player (DTS/DD), and in HiRez 5.1 in a DVD-Audio player. The disc cannot be played in (most) cars or in a CD player.

The DualDisc was supposed to make the DVD-Audio "equal" to the SACD, but that format got torpedo'd when Sony decided to enter the DualDisc field with "Enhanced Stereo" on the DualDisc side and not a 5.1 DVD-A. It was also doomed because it was too thick for some players, and lacked a standard layout of the DVD side.

The "MVI" was just an excuse to stop making DVD-Audio's.

All of the DualDiscs I've bought have either a DVD-A 5.1 surround mix or a DTS 5.1 surround mix on them. If that's what they call 'enhanced stereo' then so are DVD-A and SACD 5.1 mixes.

All of the DualDiscs I've bought have either a DVD-A 5.1 surround mix or a DTS 5.1 surround mix on them. If that's what they call 'enhanced stereo' then so are DVD-A and SACD 5.1 mixes.

Easy Krab,

That's because you were SMART enough not to buy any DualDiscs from Sony! :D

..... but that format got torpedo'd when Sony decided to enter the DualDisc field with "Enhanced Stereo" on the DualDisc side and not a 5.1 DVD-A.....

Actually I didnt mean which format itself was superior but comparing individual titles that are availabe in both formats as to which was better sounding. Like comparing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD vs DVD-Audio or say Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD vs. DVD-Audio or Steely Dan Gaucho DVD-Audio vs SACD the high resolution mixes not the cd layer or dd/dts mixes.

Green

Last edited:
It probably comes down to the mastering of each specific title, as both formats are supposed to be lossless.

As far as the few albums I have on both formats that use the same mix, I would have to play them again to see if I have a preference but if I can discern a preference it would probably be as a result of some arbitrary reason and not format. One example of an album I like on both formats using different mixes is Deep Purple "Machine Head". I still have a slight preferene for the SACD but I like both versions.

As far as the DSD vs. PCM argument, the differences or improvement with DSD, if it exists at all, isn't a product attribute that can not be used to effectively market SACD, that much is clear.

Chris

Last edited:
I have "Up" on DVD-A and two versions of "Up" on SACD. All three of those sound totally different and which one you prefer is clearly going to be a matter of personal preference.

Chris

R.E.M. "Up" DVD-A, Shania Twain "Up" SACD, and Peter Gabriel "Up" SACD. I believe the Shania Twain "Up" is also available on DVD-A. As you can imagine the three I own are very different.:D

Chris

Back