Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerosmith catalog is now controlled by UMG
that's right, although from what's been posted elsewhere Atmos mixes of Aerosmith's Classics may be upcoming? 🤷🏻‍♀️

fwiw i omitted a number of other possibilities, including the Simon & Garfunkel and Paul Simon solo Quads because.. well, it just feels like those will never happen unless the artist permits it.

i honestly feel like we have a better chance of seeing some Bob Dylan, Edgar & Johnny Winter and Barbra Streisand Quads before we see any Paul Simon titles but i'd love to be totally wrong! 🙏

there's other Sony Quads i forgot to mention that sadly i also feel have a slim to nil chance of reissue, including a couple of Harry Belafonte Quads (1 Japanese only, the other previously unreleased) and Phoebe Snow's delightful "Second Childhood" SQ LP only Quad.

true.. i fear financial viability/commercial appeal may be among the issues, alongside rights issues and/or missing tapes, in a number of instances of Quads that are potentially available 🤷🏻‍♀️

Most of this stuff left is easy listening and country that seems best suited for D-V. But they haven't been rushing to release much lately so maybe the available tapes are drying up. Or Sony might be less willing to part with old quad masters now that there seems to be some more interest in this stuff than a few years ago.

I have no idea whatsoever of what is commercially viable in Japan. Surprised none of the Streisand titles have been issued but maybe she's never been popular there or maybe she has more say over her old masters than most artists. The Elvis stuff might require approval by his estate?

Might be the royalty agreements with some of these legacy artists are so big that it isn't worth the money for the label to press up and sell only a couple thousand copies of something?

And as someone who thought I was familiar with (at least the name and existence of) just about every title released in the 70s, I honestly don't recall ever hearing of some of those. The Lee Michaels, MMM and Wild Cherry albums? Must have been "let's release the NEXT album in quad because the LAST one (that we didn't release in quad) was a hit!" releases?

Last edited:
that's right, although from what's been posted elsewhere Atmos mixes of Aerosmith's Classics may be upcoming? 🤷🏻‍♀️

fwiw i omitted a number of other possibilities, including the Simon & Garfunkel and Paul Simon solo Quads because.. well, it just feels like those will never happen unless the artist permits it.

i honestly feel like we have a better chance of seeing some Bob Dylan, Edgar & Johnny Winter and Barbra Streisand Quads before we see any Paul Simon titles but i'd love to be totally wrong! 🙏

there's other Sony Quads i forgot to mention that sadly i also feel have a slim to nil chance of reissue, including a couple of Harry Belafonte Quads (1 Japanese only, the other previously unreleased) and Phoebe Snow's delightful "Second Childhood" SQ LP only Quad.
Yeah, the experience a few years back with SonyJP announcing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and then pulling it back probably tells us all we need to know about the possibility of Simon stuff any time soon.

Also didn't mention Harry Nilsson on RCA.

Most of this stuff left is easy listening and country that seems best suited for D-V. But they haven't been rushing to release much lately so maybe the available tapes are drying up. Or Sony might be less willing to part with old quad masters now that there seems to be some more interest in this stuff than a few years ago.

I have no idea whatsoever of what is commercially viable in Japan. Surprised none of the Streisand titles have been issued but maybe she's never been popular there or maybe she has more say over her old masters than most artists. The Elvis stuff might require approval by his estate?

Might be the royalty agreements with some of these legacy artists are so big that it isn't worth the money for the label to press up and sell only a couple thousand copies of something?

And as someone who thought I was familiar with (at least the name and existence of) just about every title released in the 70s, I honestly don't recall ever hearing of some of those. The Lee Michaels, MMM and Wild Cherry albums? Must have been "let's release the NEXT album in quad because the LAST one (that we didn't release in quad) was a hit!" releases?
the Lee Michaels & Michael Martin Murphey Quads are up on Apple Music in Dolby Audio.

no sign of the Wild Cherry Quad there unfortunately, which is a shame as it's a fun album with a nice mix and a scarce late Quad release from 1977.

Yeah, the experience a few years back with SonyJP announcing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and then pulling it back probably tells us all we need to know about the possibility of Simon stuff any time soon.

Also didn't mention Harry Nilsson on RCA.
ah yes! 👍 i totally forgot the Harry Nilsson Quads! 🤦‍♀️😅

IMHO it was always affordable, considering the number of albums included, some of which originally two record sets. Long before the box set was released CTA came out as a single DTS DVD disc. I remember paying $100 for a copy of that one alone!
I agree, the list price was affordable. I just wasn’t paying attention to disc MC releases at the time Chicago Quadio was released, and that’s why it sold out. I am referring to the secondary market on eBay which, for this box set, has been continuously high at mutiples of the original price. A repress would be a welcome relief!

I agree, the list price was affordable. I just wasn’t paying attention to disc MC releases at the time Chicago Quadio was released, and that’s why it sold out. I am referring to the secondary market on eBay which, for this box set, has been continuously high at mutiples of the original price. A repress would be a welcome relief!
Only 2 copies available on Discogs the cheapest being $500. 😲

Actually that is for 9 albums some being double length, works out to about $55 each, not that bad of a price IMHO. The cheapest copy sold was only $81.02!

Last edited:

I would love to see Sony or DV , (DV preferred)issue the 3 quad Dylan's ....... and they own the rights to all 3.
Plus a rumoured , strong rumour actually , that Bob Dylan Greatest Hits Vol One is an unreleased quad.

Last edited:

Paul Simon is in the process or has already by now cashed out on his masters and maybe publishing as well. I’d need to check details. He also retired from concerts and maybe recorded his last album. In other words control of his quad masters may not be be up to him much longer or at all. Dylan same thing - cashing out while the money is there and he is alive to reap the benefits, and leave the family out of trying to manage a 60 year recorded legacy.

So I see the newer owners wanting to capitalize on those assets in all ways possible including quad on physical disc.

Oh and seeing Simon albums appear in 360RA streams signals to me that we could be closer than not to seeing some quad action on his solo stuff. Once Simon sells the farm, even the “Bridge” album could come back to the release schedule.

Things are changing, quad is looking more respectable, artists are selling their rights, and new owners are going to look at all the assets, and exploit whatever they can.

I think there are reasons to be more optimistic.

Last edited:
Paul Simon is in the process or has already by now cashed out on his masters and maybe publishing as well. I’d need to check details. He also retired from concerts and maybe recorded his last album. In other words control of his quad masters may not be be up to him much longer or at all. Dylan same thing - cashing out while the money is there and he is alive to reap the benefits, and leave the family out of trying to manage a 60 year recorded legacy.

So I see the newer owners wanting to capitalize on those assets in all ways possible including quad on physical disc.

Oh and seeing Simon albums appear in 360RA streams signals to me that we could be closer than not to seeing some quad action on his solo stuff. Once Simon sells the farm, even the “Bridge” album could come back to the release schedule.

Things are changing, quad is looking more respectable, artists are selling their rights, and new owners are going to look at all the assets, and exploit whatever they can.

I think there are reasons to be more optimistic.
I’m sorry but the words, “once Simon sells the farm” and “optimistic” don’t belong in the same post. That’s a crazy thing to be looking forward to and we’ve lost too many icons already as it is. I hope that your loved ones aren’t so opportunistic. Highly insensitive in my book.

I’m sorry but the words, “once Simon sells the farm” and “optimistic” don’t belong in the same post. That’s a crazy thing to be looking forward to and we’ve lost too many icons already as it is. I hope that your loved ones aren’t so opportunistic. Highly insensitive in my book.
I’m not talking about his death but his selling his entire creative works.

I think maybe the farm term for death is when they bought the farm.

But anyway it’s just his entire catalog of publishing and masters being sold off , and that’s a big farm. I’m optimistic still.

Yes looks like between 2021 and 2023 Simon sold off all of his publishing to Sony, and his Simon and Garfunkel share (masters) to BMG. His solo masters might still be retained by him. The farm has been mostly cashed out now.

Last edited:
Back