SHM-SACD Reissues Announced by CD Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, looks like some of the earlier SHM-SACD releases from Universal Japan will be coming back into stock in November per this email from CD Japan.
I wonder if more reissues are planned. Hmm......

New Items from Your Favorite Artists

Steely Dan
[ SACD ] Aja [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Gaucho [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Asia
[ SACD ] Asia [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Stevie Wonder
[ SACD ] Talking Book [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Innervisions [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Fulfillingness' First Finale [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Songs In The Key Of Life [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Hotter Than July [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

10cc
[ SACD ] The Original Soundtrack [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

The Who
[ SACD ] My Generation [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] The Who Sell Out [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Tommy [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Who's Next [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Quadrophenia [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] The Singles [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

The Rolling Stones
[ SACD ] Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Their Satanic Majesties Request [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Beggars Banquet [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Through The Past. Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2) [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Let It Bleed [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Sticky Fingers [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Exile On Main St. [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Goats Head Soup [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] It's Only Rock 'n Roll [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Black And Blue [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Love You Live [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Some Girls [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Emotional Rescure [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Tattoo You [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Still Life (American Concert 1981) [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Undercover [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Dirty Work [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Dire Straits
[ SACD ] Dire Straits [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Communique [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Making Movies [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Love Over Gold [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Alchemy: Dire Straits Live [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Miles Davis
[ SACD ] Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]
[ SACD ] Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

I've tried to get some hits by the Rolling Stones on 2 "hi rez" discs and both have been failures, GRRR and The London Years Singles(SACD); both offering great content but CD quality sound. I'd like some honest feedback from any member on here that has the SACD titles Big Hits or Through The Past Darkly about the sound quality of these 2 discs...NAMELY do they sound compressed and bright...

I would recommend the Hot Rocks SACD (and More Hot Rocks too). I think the Abkco SACDs sound pretty good. However, if you don't like The London Years or the 60's stuff on Grrr, you probably won't like any of the Stones Abkco releases. (The 70's & newer stuff on Grrr is MUCH more compressed than the 60's stuff).

I would recommend the Hot Rocks SACD (and More Hot Rocks too). I think the Abkco SACDs sound pretty good. However, if you don't like The London Years or the 60's stuff on Grrr, you probably won't like any of the Stones Abkco releases. (The 70's & newer stuff on Grrr is MUCH more compressed than the 60's stuff).

I had the CD version of Hot Rocks.

I have a Blu-Ray-A of Grrr.
650440grrmodified.jpg
Is that now unavailable?

IMHO, the Abkco US Stones SACD's sound pretty good to me. I bought them all when they were new. Caveat: I was not expecting 21st century state-of-the-art recordings from 60's material. I thought the Singles Collection sounded a bit crappy, but they were singles. The "sounds like CD's" comment might be justified regarding the Singles Collection.

If you like Innervisions by Stevie Wonder, I strongly recommend the SHM-SACD. It blew away my MoFi gold CD, which was the best pressing up 'til that time.

I have a Blu-Ray-A of Grrr.
View attachment 15882
Is that now unavailable?

IMHO, the Abkco US Stones SACD's sound pretty good to me. I bought them all when they were new. Caveat: I was not expecting 21st century state-of-the-art recordings from 60's material. I thought the Singles Collection sounded a bit crappy, but they were singles. The "sounds like CD's" comment might be justified regarding the Singles Collection.

If you like Innervisions by Stevie Wonder, I strongly recommend the SHM-SACD. It blew away my MoFi gold CD, which was the best pressing up 'til that time.

I'm actually playing the Blu Ray Grrr right now...some are better than CD quality but most are CD quality and you can't crank most of them up without ear bleed. Anytime you have a singles presentation... as opposed to an album... you are going to have a lot of variances. I think my Oppo hates GRRR..it seems to be frowning at me when I insert the disc...but it always smiles when I put Moondance or Aqualung in:) I will probably just have to accept the fact that there isn't any stellar hi rez Stones release with great content from this time period...the content on GRRR is amazing..I just lower the volume and use it for background music..

Looks like some type of promotion with only 100 copies being made; they still had the original one HERE and are offering the new re-issue at a lower price HERE

Different UPC nos. and different catalog nos. too.

Hopefully they will add Supertramp to this re-issue series.

How was it determined only 100 copies of each?

I didn't get any e-mail and I'm a regular customer.

other additions...

Cream Wheels Of Fire [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

[Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues] Features the 2010 DSD mastering based on Japanese original analog tape. Reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players). *SHM-SACD (Super High Material SACD) is the ultimate Super Audio CD that utilizes the materials and technologies that were developed for the SHM-CD to further enhance the audio-resolution. Please note that SHM-SACDs are fully compatible with regular SACD players, but they do not play on standard CD players.

Wishbone Ash Argus [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

I hope 100 Reissues means 100 titles, not quantity per title (which wouldn't seem to make any economic sense).

I hope 100 Reissues means 100 titles, not quantity per title (which wouldn't seem to make any economic sense).

you may be correct...but so might Clint...i ordered 5 titles and sure hope those get enough orders so that they get pressed...the last line is disturbing!!

"We are offering 10% reward points on 100 special priced SHM-SACD reissues for a limited period of time. These albums were originally released in past five years and include lots of out-of-print masterpieces due to extremely limited quantities. And this time again, the items are strictly limited. So please read the following notices and preorder as quickly as possible.

Offer Period
Orders placed during the period below are eligible.
August 27, 2014 19:00:00PM through December 31, 2014 23:59:59PM (Japan Standard Time GMT+9)
How Offer Works
Order any items listed here and 10% rewards points will be credited to your account after each of your order is shipped.
Note
There's a possibility that some of the titles may not be rereleased at all depending on order quantity."

The goal of the Rolling Stones SACD series was to have the discs sound like the originals, not an audiophile high quality sound series. Very much like the Elton John SACDs. They were going for the same sound vs. a reissue series like say the Nat King Cole SACDs on Analogue Productions. I think the Stones SACDs series certainly accomplishes that.

The goal of the Rolling Stones SACD series was to have the discs sound like the originals, not an audiophile high quality sound series. Very much like the Elton John SACDs. They were going for the same sound vs. a reissue series like say the Nat King Cole SACDs on Analogue Productions. I think the Stones SACDs series certainly accomplishes that.

I don't understand this comparison at all. The Elton John SACD's have superb sound quality. If the intention was to have the Rolling Stones SACD's sound like originals why put them on a hi rez format; just use CD's. People that own SACD machines didn't buy them to listen to CD quality recordings. I can see the point of making GRRR because the blu ray format can hold a massive amount of content.

It's titles not quantity

I haven't counted them. But that's what it looks like to me - 100 titles.

Since they are from the same tapes as before, just reissued - looks like a great chance to get some SHM-SACDs you may have missed before. Very nice!

Just looked at the full list of SHM-SACD reissues. Very comprehensive.

One to get, that has been out of print for awhile on SHM-SACD, but is outstanding in sound quality is "The Cat" by Jimmy Smith.
A must have on Stereo SACD!

The Cat - Jimmy Smith - CD - 350.jpg
The Cat - Jimmy Smith (Single Layer Stereo SACD, Verve/Universal Japan UCGU-9052)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGU-9052

Back