Simple Minds "Once Upon a Time" 30th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Surround DVD-A!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a misprint on the DVD-Audio cover. The stereo on the old DVD-Audio is actually 24/96 (at least on my copy).

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

update: Yep, both titles are 24/96 PPCM. Maybe there is a low resolution PCM track that only shows up on non-dvd-audio players.

One other thing I noticed is that one of my disks is made in the USA. How odd. I remember them both being made in the EU and I had bought them both at the same time from overseas, so maybe one got lost. Will need to do some looking around for it.

Attachments

• new_gold_dream_screen.jpg
    new_gold_dream_screen.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 371
There was indeed a 16/48 PCM that appears if loaded to the Video Manager (ie in DVD-Video mode instead of DVD-Audio mode).
The promo films are what they are - all were re-transferred from (urgh) U-Matic archive sources.
The audio was stereo, and the 5.1 was not supplied so not used.

On the new version, the PCM remains at 24/96 in both Audio_TS and Video_TS.

There was indeed a 16/48 PCM that appears if loaded to the Video Manager (ie in DVD-Video mode instead of DVD-Audio mode).
The promo films are what they are - all were re-transferred from (urgh) U-Matic archive sources.
The audio was stereo, and the 5.1 was not supplied so not used.

Sorry, to disagree, but I just loaded my copy of the Simple Minds Once Upon a Time DVD-Audio and..

There is no 16/48 PCM on it anywhere (except the 2 videos), the DVD-Audio and DVD-Video both have 24/96 PCM stereo.
The videos both have DTS 5.1 audio (and 16/48 stereo).

The ASIN for the Blu-Ray Audio Disc is B014GLTRWA
Preorders are up on the French and German amazon websites, but once it goes up in the UK and elsewhere, I'll post the links here.

Still no sighting of the Blu Ray version on amazon US or UK yet

Yeah, I'm really wondering why it's taking so long to list this release, especially when the release date is less than a month from now. I'm definitely ready to preorder it when it does appear on either of those particular amazon sites.

Yeah, I'm really wondering why it's taking so long to list this release, especially when the release date is less than a month from now. I'm definitely ready to preorder it when it does appear on either of those particular amazon sites.

As Simon mentioned earlier in this thread...amazon CA has it HERE..if they are this far behind in the marketing phase I won't be surprised if the release date is pushed back

Maybe its just a figment of our imaginations... ;)

afaik the Blu-ray is being done by the usual HFPA team and sadly not Opus (they're probably too busy with other projects, which is GOOD NEWS FOR US! ;) ) and as we know anything is possible with those HFPA dickheads.. expect the unexpected! :yikes (if you want my advice get the boxset, its got a lovely DVD-A in it.. ;) ;) )

Maybe its just a figment of our imaginations... ;)

afaik the Blu-ray is being done by the usual HFPA team and sadly not Opus (they're probably too busy with other projects, which is GOOD NEWS FOR US! ;) ) and as we know anything is possible with those HFPA dickheads.. expect the unexpected! :yikes (if you want my advice get the boxset, its got a lovely DVD-A in it.. ;) ;) )

I can't be bothered to get the box set for this particular release. I'll take my chances with Blu-Ray, except of course if the Blu-Ray version is cancelled for one reason or another. Then, and only then, will I spring for the box set. I do need this album in my collection in surround, one way or another. :)

I preordered Once Upon A Time(at $34.00 right now)from amazon UK....this is also the same release date of my other 2 pre orders of Tusk and Idlewild South on Dec 4th...I expect at least one of these will be pushed back from that date..

I preordered Once Upon A Time(at $34.00 right now)from amazon UK....this is also the same release date of my other 2 pre orders of Tusk and Idlewild South on Dec 4th...I expect at least one of these will be pushed back from that date..

If any of them are pushed back for any reason, I hope that at least "Idlewild South" stays on date seeing as how it's the cheapest of the two unreleased 5.1 mixes.
But so far, all three of them still look to be on course for the 4th. It'll be one heck of a day for us in surround world! :)

Well...the blu ray audio is finally listed on amazon US...of course it's not described as a blu ray audio...which is getting pretty typical of amazon US...and of course it's more money than the UK amazon....and of course the release date is 2 weeks later...HERE IT IS

Well...the blu ray audio is finally listed on amazon US...of course it's not described as a blu ray audio...which is getting pretty typical of amazon US...and of course it's more money than the UK amazon....and of course the release date is 2 weeks later...HERE IT IS

And that price… :yikes
FWIW, amazon.co.uk dropped their price on this disc by a few pounds, so now it sits around $30 (with shipping) for anyone in the US wanting to buy it from them and ship it here. :)

And that price… :yikes
FWIW, amazon.co.uk dropped their price on this disc by a few pounds, so now it sits around $30 (with shipping) for anyone in the US wanting to buy it from them and ship it here. :)

Yep...my price came to $30.11..I'm still surprised at the difference on the Tusk box set...that's a huge disparity..

Back