Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits - 4.0 Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD (October 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not concerned about the "mix" on this one...just give me some clear sounding songs and I will live with the instruments being in the wrong speaker location...the content is awesome...I have enough "demo discs" that have everything correct and bore me to tears...BRING ON THOSE GREAT TUNES!

There's nothing wrong with You Can Make It. It sounds great the way it is. Leave it alone.

Yeah, but if you flip the back and front soundstages, you get Sly and Bass in FL, Crew & Drums in FR, Guitar and Horns BL, Organ and Horns BR.

As it stands, there are NO vocals in the front of this song. Flip it around, and it sounds much better!

Early Columbia quad experiment. This was in the first batch of quad titles. They were still playing around with placement

Yeah, but if you flip the back and front soundstages, you get Sly and Bass in FL, Crew & Drums in FR, Guitar and Horns BL, Organ and Horns BR.

As it stands, there are NO vocals in the front of this song. Flip it around, and it sounds much better!

Oh! That's how it's supposed to pan out.. vocals seemed alright the other day in Quadek.. damn SQ with no logic..! As Spock would say "that's illogical, Captain"..! :D

Steve mentions Redbone in that one post.
That would be a cool release for AF in quad but probably a bit too obscure

Was Mr.H referring to the excellence of the Redbone/Message From A Drum or Redbone/Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes Quad, I wonder?

I've got the Redbone/Drum Quad LP on its way in the mail, on QQ Linda's recommendation as she was saying how good it was.

EDIT: Just noticed he mentioned the Witch Queen of New Orleans, so he was referring to Message From A Drum.

Either Redbone album would be great. Message from a Drum has some really good tunes and so does Beaded Dreams.

Either Redbone album would be great. Message from a Drum has some really good tunes and so does Beaded Dreams.

Gotta say this is a band I'd never even heard of before Linda recommended them and now I'm hearing ringing endorsements all over about their music and with two albums in Quad no less..! Gotta track down a turquoise beaded curtain SQ LP now (hard to find .. woo!! must be a rare one..!?

He must've gotten paid a fair chunk for him to change his mind so quickly/easily. He used to be surround sounds' biggest detractor.

He must've gotten paid a fair chunk for him to change his mind so quickly/easily. He used to be surround sounds' biggest detractor.

That's what I thought too but fredblue found some of SH's posts speaking favourably about quad. See Posts 28,29,30 in this thread. Regardless, The Best of the Doors sounds unreal and if it's because of SH then I say to Audio Fidelity give him everything that you plan on releasing in quad.

Was Mr.H referring to the excellence of the Redbone/Message From A Drum or Redbone/Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes Quad, I wonder?

I've got the Redbone/Drum Quad LP on its way in the mail, on QQ Linda's recommendation as she was saying how good it was.

EDIT: Just noticed he mentioned the Witch Queen of New Orleans, so he was referring to Message From A Drum.

NB: "Message From A Drum" was released in Europe as "Witch Queen Of New Orleans", which was the single I remember as a young teenager. Which I got when it was re-released as a CD on Repertoire.

CCF05082015_0000 (2048x912).jpg

That's what I thought too but fredblue found some of SH's posts speaking favourably about quad. See Posts 28,29,30 in this thread. Regardless, The Best of the Doors sounds unreal and if it's because of SH then I say to Audio Fidelity give him everything that you plan on releasing in quad.

SH is a "minimalist" when it comes to his profession...that's his style.....he would be the first to tell you that...he makes very small and subtle improvements..which is fine when the source material is good...and in the case of the Doors that's exactly what he had to work with...

Last edited:

IMO it looks like he hasn't gotten much work recently...I see other names on projects or no names at all...they used to "feature" his name in the description in a lot of their SACD releases...but I haven't seen that lately

Last edited:
IMO it looks like he hasn't gotten much work from MOFI recently...I see other names on their projects or no names at all...they used to "feature" his name in the description in a lot of their SACD releases...but I haven't seen that lately

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge Steve Hoffman has not been involved with a MFSL project. Analogue Productions and Audio Fidelity yes, but MFSL, I doubt it.

Back