Sony did it right with SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man! I guess I wasn't clever enough to disguise it! Yes, Sony pays me $840,000 a year to cover for them on audio forums. ;)

Jason, why did you feel the need to start this crap up again? Are you so insecure that you just had to get the last word in? Are you so threatened by the wiser opinions of your "elders" that you just can't let it go?

You ridiculed me for running to the moderator, a moderator that YOU suggested might be lying about his academic credentials; so YOU must deal with how you are received here.

You are obviously young ... besides your obnoxious demure, nobody named their kid Jason much before 1980 ... but you must realize that WE ... Guy, Cai, Jon, Dave, and others are friends. Cai might be the moderator, but he is as much a part of this forum than anyone; and he is a first-class person who does not have to prove his value ... and certainly not to you.

For what it's worth, I agree with much of what you say about Sony. Whether you believe that I am what I say is not important to me, but I DO understand the importance of earning a profit for ANY business. Frankly though, I still think you are an asshole, and I wish you would find someone else to irritate. There must be a gamer site with your name on it ... please go there.

Is there a psychiatrist on this forum who might want to take a stab at Quadziller?

Sony Did All And Beyond All That Any Reasonable Person Could Ask To Make A Go Of Multi-channel Sacd. The Public At Large
Is NOT Interested.

Sony Is Not In The Business Of Forcing Formats On The Public. If The Public Buys Into It, Great, But There Is Only So Much They Can Do.

I'm Hoping That Capitalizing This Message Will Help To Get Through Some Old Thick Skulls.

You ridiculed me for running to the moderator, a moderator that YOU suggested might be lying about his academic credentials; so YOU must deal with how you are received here.

You are obviously young ... besides your obnoxious demure, nobody named their kid Jason much before 1980 ... but you must realize that WE ... Guy, Cai, Jon, Dave, and others are friends. Cai might be the moderator, but he is as much a part of this forum than anyone; and he is a first-class person who does not have to prove his value ... and certainly not to you.

This has got to be the most shameless brown-nosing of a moderator I have ever witnessed anywhere. What a suck-up U R, Quadziller.

I suggest that you also email this thread to your mommy, so she can sympathize with your plight and tell you how brave you are :banana::banana::banana:

Sony Did All And Beyond All That Any Reasonable Person Could Ask To Make A Go Of Multi-channel Sacd. The Public At Large
Is NOT Interested.

Sony Is Not In The Business Of Forcing Formats On The Public. If The Public Buys Into It, Great, But There Is Only So Much They Can Do.

I'm Hoping That Capitalizing This Message Will Help To Get Through Some Old Thick Skulls.

Sony plain and simple dropped the ball on SACD. The public wasn't interested, because Sony didn't do it right at all. The public in general isn't going to go run out and buy a new player, new discs, and change over all at once. Especially when you have a competing format, DVD-A, to confuse things even further. Many people would be happy buying SACDs, if it didn't require the effort of figuring it out. I thought that SACD would be the easy winner up against DVD-A, because of it's simplicity, and backwards compatibility. All Sony had to do was 2 simple things, single inventory hybrid discs, and SACD playback standard in all future players. The public would buy the discs, and in 5 to 10 years when it's time to upgrade or replace the player they buy the new player. It would have been a perfect way to ease the general public into the new technology. But sony didn't do that. They gave us bullshit non-hybrid SACDs, and then stopped giving us any releases. They had it right in their hands, it would've been so easy....only a moron could've messed it up, and sony did just that.

Is NOT Interested.

No, it just makes you look immature. If you work for Sony or have the inside scoop, just let us know. Be helpful with specific information.

Sony Did Not do everything they could have to support SACD. One thing Sony could have done is added SACD capabilities to All DVD and CD players, including the very cheapest ones. They should have done this in 2002 when the Rolling Stones SACD's first came out. The buying public still buys CDs. They could announce that fron now on all CD's will play like a regular CD and also have a SACD layer. If Sony did it right this is what they would do Now. As long as people still buy and own CD's it's not too late to add a SACD layer and for Sony to make money.

I'm on Sony's e-mail product list. If Sony is so wonderful I find it odd that they would shit on their best costumers by Not having SACD capabilities on the next generation of DVD players, Blu-ray. Especially when one considers all the "good will faith" and money $$$ we've all invested in SACD.

Last edited:
The public can only say no to that which it knows about.

Look at current statistics from Netflix, Blockbuster or other DVD vendors and see that HD DVD & Blu Ray register in total less than 1% percent of activity. SACD was a mere FRACTION of that.

Despite TV, internet and print advertising, it is not on average people's radar yet. Many people in-the-know are fence-sitting due to the high definition disc format war.

SACD had a handful of print advertising at most, so people never heard about it. Ask 10 people on the street about SACD and get 10 blank stares.

The public can only say no to that which it knows about.

Look at current statistics from Netflix, Blockbuster or other DVD vendors and see that HD DVD & Blu Ray register in total less than 1% percent of activity. SACD was a mere FRACTION of that.

Despite TV, internet and print advertising, it is not on average people's radar yet. Many people in-the-know are fence-sitting due to the high definition disc format war.

SACD had a handful of print advertising at most, so people never heard about it. Ask 10 people on the street about SACD and get 10 blank stares.

Yes! I subscribe to Rolling Stone Magazine. When Sony gave everyone a SACD in the advertisement for SACD in RS that was really cool. But what the hell was I supposed to do with it when my CD / DVD player would not play it because Sony forgot to add a CD layer on it? SACD players cost more than $500 back then. I suspect most people just threw them in the garbage when they we're done with that issue of RS magazine.

The Ad should have announced that SACD was replacing the CD with dual layers. Sony would have gotten plenty of free media exposure with just such an announcement and the public would have been aware of SACD. All players should have added SACD capabilities after that AD, even the cheapest ones. But Sony's greed and short sightedness got in the way.

They gave us bullshit non-hybrid SACDs, and then stopped giving us any releases. They had it right in their hands, it would've been so easy....only a moron could've messed it up, and sony did just that.

Have you ever noticed (I have) how few people are willing to take responsibility for their own actions? For instance, it isn't people's fault for driving 60 minutes each way to work in Los Angeles, it's the Big Bad Oil Company's fault!

Similarly, it isn't the consumers' fault for not buying SACD--it's the Big Bad Stupid Greedy Sony Corporation that's at fault!

What about Sony dropping SACD for DualDisc, then releasing real SACDs 6 months later of the same titles that they released on DualDisc?

What the hell was THAT???? :confused::mad:@::confused:

Talk about stepping on one's dick! :eek:;)

That would be called lack of vision and lack of commitment.

The DVD-A group started the stupid DualDisc, and Sony probably figured that there was a chance it would succeed, so they just cabbaged on to it. It was just covering the new bet.

Sony should have laughed at the DualDisc, and used that as a way to HAMMER the DVD-A format in the press, again the timing would have been perfect as I stated in my post above (right after the Rolling Stone Magazine deal), by proclaiming that the SACD was ALREADY A DUAL DISC!!!!

It ALREADY played in CD players AND SACD/DVD players.

Just another example of a huge missed opportunity. If they only took the cash they spent on DualDisc and released Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here and some other titles that would have grabbed some headlines, maybe we would still be able to find new releases of new releases.

Memo to Jon:

You care about surround sound, I care, and a few hundred other people care nationwide.

The great unwashed masses do not care.

I think you need to get out a little more. When you associate with quad people, you're going to get a warped idea of the world.

The real world has already responded to SACD with a big YAWN.

This has got to be the most shameless brown-nosing of a moderator I have ever witnessed anywhere. What a suck-up U R, Quadziller.

I suggest that you also email this thread to your mommy, so she can sympathize with your plight and tell you how brave you are :banana::banana::banana:

No sucking up involved asshole. I don't see him as a moderator at all. He is another member of this forum, and you are a fuck-head. By the way, my mother recently passed-away, so I am unable to share your stupidity with her.

I see, it's just coincidence that you shamelessly suck up to moderators. You can do better than that, I hope.

You're not really an adult, are you? My guess is that you're a 14-year-old, can't get any girls to take notice of you, and use profanity because you erroneously think it will impress people that you are a tough guy.

Have you ever noticed (I have) how few people are willing to take responsibility for their own actions? For instance, it isn't people's fault for driving 60 minutes each way to work in Los Angeles, it's the Big Bad Oil Company's fault!

Similarly, it isn't the consumers' fault for not buying SACD--it's the Big Bad Stupid Greedy Sony Corporation that's at fault!

How can you blame the consumer for not buying what wasn't made readily available in a wide selection of choices? Could CD of thrived if it had the number of releases that SACD got?

CD kept rolling the titles. SACD didn't.

Give me a chart that shows that sony did as much for SACD as they did for CD, and I'll shut up.

The CD was clearly different to everyone from the cassette and the LP. But an SACD looks like a CD.

So a consumer sees an SACD for the first time and asks the clerk what it is. "Oh, that's a better sounding CD. Here, let me play it for you on these four-inch speakers. Hear how much better it is? Oh, you don't? Did I mention you need to buy a special player? Hey! . . . Come back here!"

The CD was clearly different to everyone from the cassette and the LP. But an SACD looks like a CD.

So a consumer sees an SACD for the first time and asks the clerk what it is. "Oh, that's a better sounding CD. Here, let me play it for you on these four-inch speakers. Hear how much better it is? Oh, you don't? Did I mention you need to buy a special player? Hey! . . . Come back here!"

Yes, upgrading from CD to SACD is a tougher sale than upgrading from vinyl/cassette to CD....all the more reason sony needed to push it more than they did the CD, not less. SACD very well may have still failed if sony really pushed it and rolled out more titles. The point is, they didn't, and it was absolutely necessary for them to have done that in order for it to have stood any chance. Sony failed to do what was necessary to back their format, that is why I place a large amount of blame on them for the failure of SACD.

Back