SPECWEB (Now 2.2)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, just downloaded Specweb 1.1 I notice the processing window is back.
Anyways, just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to zeerround and Garry. Thanks for all the work you put into this tool (donation made btw). All my upmixes have been done with default settings so far, but I'll need to start playing with other settings. I did finally get a 5.1 system and installed on my office 'puter, so can now check upmixes real time, instead of running to my media center.
So far I've upmixed the whole catalogues of Bowie, Tuxedomoon, Adrian Belew, Roxy Music, The Beatles, Nine Rain, Manzanera/801, Some of the Tull, Ferry, Massive Attack, and working on the pre-ambient Eno material. Loads of fun! Next up will be the Split Enz catalogue. Quick questions: 1) I think I recall reading from zeerround that there is a file size limit for jpg cover art, but I can't find that (sorry). I notice some images get included and some don't so I assume there's a file size limit. 2) I notice on live albums and those that have seamless (gapless) transitions that once upmixed, there is a gap. Is there any way to eliminate these for a gapless transition?
Thanks again guys.

Anyways, just wanted to give a big THANK YOU to zeerround and Garry. Thanks for all the work you put into this tool (donation made btw). All my upmixes have been done with default settings so far, but I'll need to start playing with other settings. I did finally get a 5.1 system and installed on my office 'puter, so can now check upmixes real time, instead of running to my media center.
So far I've upmixed the whole catalogues of Bowie, Tuxedomoon, Adrian Belew, Roxy Music, The Beatles, Nine Rain, Manzanera/801, Some of the Tull, Ferry, Massive Attack, and working on the pre-ambient Eno material. Loads of fun! Next up will be the Split Enz catalogue. Quick questions: 1) I think I recall reading from zeerround that there is a file size limit for jpg cover art, but I can't find that (sorry). I notice some images get included and some don't so I assume there's a file size limit. 2) I notice on live albums and those that have seamless (gapless) transitions that once upmixed, there is a gap. Is there any way to eliminate these for a gapless transition?
Thanks again guys.

I'm playing back my flac on an OPPO, so I just choose gapless playback on the options menu on the remote. Is there a new version of SpecWeb AND SpecWeb Helper, or just the Helper?

Thanks again guys.

Glad you are enjoying SpecWeb! I'll leave the tagging issue to Garry as that is part of the helper app, but I'll look into the gapless thing. What player are you using?

RE versions of SpecWeb; Version 1.1 is in beta and should be out later this week. You will get a popup notification when using SpecWeb (at least if you're not hiding it in the helper, or telling SpecWeb to be quiet with the -q command line option) whenever there is a new version. I'll also be sending email to those that have donated.

Helper 1.1 has a new Preference to Hide SpecWeb while converting. Feedback suggested some wanted to see it running, as opposed to forcing Hide.

I notice some images get included and some don't so I assume there's a file size limit

I am not aware of a limit, some of my folder art is 1200 x 1200 and over 900kb. Although I try to convert to 600x600. There was an issue with Helper 1.0 that affected art tagging. Try 1.1 beta.

I only knew the 'fix' above because my Win 10 PC is uninstalling that msi library quite often. Use to do it every re-start but now not so often. So I cant give a definitive answer to the problem - just the re-install temporary fix. Strange...

Hi guys. Just made a donation. The albums I've converted have come out great, and I appreciate the program and the help.

I had the same problem today concerning the missing msi stuff when I dropped a small flac file (I Will by the Beatles) onto the icon so I tried some tests. First, I applied the fix and it worked. I then ran a quick scan with Defender to see if that would cause a problem, but everything was ok. Then I just restarted my computer to see if that did anything. Everything was still fine. Then I totally shut down the computer and waited a minute (God's computer fix) and turned it back on. Again, everything was still ok. I was kinda hoping one of these would cause the problem so I could let you know, but no. Columbo I am not!

Hi guys. Just made a donation. The albums I've converted have come out great, and I appreciate the program and the help.

I had the same problem today concerning the missing msi stuff when I dropped a small flac file (I Will by the Beatles) onto the icon so I tried some tests. First, I applied the fix and it worked. I then ran a quick scan with Defender to see if that would cause a problem, but everything was ok. Then I just restarted my computer to see if that did anything. Everything was still fine. Then I totally shut down the computer and waited a minute (God's computer fix) and turned it back on. Again, everything was still ok. I was kinda hoping one of these would cause the problem so I could let you know, but no. Columbo I am not!

Sounds like good troubleshooting technique to me! Thanks.

Yesterday I googled for diapering and uninstalled Intel Redistributables but didn't find anything. The mystery continues but yeah I'm not switching my main computers to windows 10 anytime soon (but do have three "test" machines running it).

Hi,

First of all a huge thanks to zeerround and Garry for your great work. I've always avoided upmixes, without really giving them a proper chance and I am utterly blown away by the results I have got out of Specweb over the last week. My first test was the Eagles first album as I had read reports of good results in the Involve Surround Master. I have since worked my way through the Muse albums and I am stunned by the detail and separation achievable with a bit of tweaking. I have noticed however, when saving individual track settings to ini files from the web interface, that if you have Arctan+slice mode activated, it is not saved to the ini file. This is easy enough to fix in notepad prior to running the final conversion through the helper but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks again for all your hard work - I can't wait to have ago at some of my other favourite albums.

Thanks I'll take a look at that.

Just about to release SpecWeb 1.1 however. So this fix will have to wait for the next version, but if it's an easy fix that could be soon too.

Glad you are enjoying SpecWeb! I'll leave the tagging issue to Garry as that is part of the helper app, but I'll look into the gapless thing. What player are you using?

I'm burning to BluRay and using an Oppo 103 for playback on my media center, although would be great to also play back gapless through MusicBee on my 'puter. skherbeck mentioned there was a gapless option on the Oppo, so that's a workaround, but would be good to know if there's a gapless feature within SpecWeb.
Thanks Glenn :)

Helper 1.1 has a new Preference to Hide SpecWeb while converting. Feedback suggested some wanted to see it running, as opposed to forcing Hide.

I am not aware of a limit, some of my folder art is 1200 x 1200 and over 900kb. Although I try to convert to 600x600. There was an issue with Helper 1.0 that affected art tagging. Try 1.1 beta.

OK, I've already DLd 1.1, but I have a ton of stuff created through 1.0...frustrating to burn a full BluRay to find a few of the covers not appearing...I know not a big deal, but I'm anal for details, what can I say? :)

OK, I've already DLd 1.1, but I have a ton of stuff created through 1.0...frustrating to burn a full BluRay to find a few of the covers not appearing...I know not a big deal, but I'm anal for details, what can I say? :)

I made another change today in latest Helper (now release candidate) that should resolve any album art issues. Let me know how it goes. Please see my latest post on the Helper thread.

No, just burning through the default Windows burner. I use a copy sw for burning movies or copies of BluRays. but I've been finding the default works fine for music.

I'm doublechecking file length and start stop times but I can tell you that (checked with styx paradise album where one syllable is in track one and the next in track two) that there is no gap when playing back in foobar2000 so I'm thinking it has to do with how you are burning them.

Can't recommend AudioMuxer highly enough. It is the true swiss army knife of audio and makes great DVD, AVCHD, and BluRay audio only images with Album artwork and song titles. Price is right too (free)

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135

I'm doublechecking file length and start stop times but I can tell you that (checked with styx paradise album where one syllable is in track one and the next in track two) that there is no gap when playing back in foobar2000 so I'm thinking it has to do with how you are burning them.

Can't recommend AudioMuxer highly enough. It is the true swiss army knife of audio and makes great DVD, AVCHD, and BluRay audio only images with Album artwork and song titles. Price is right too (free)

http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=135

OK, thanks Glenn, I will check it out :)

Hi Guys,

I just joined the SurroundByUs site and downloaded SpecWeb version 1.1. I notice that there is a w_ccompxe_redist_ia32_2013_sp1.0.103.msi file but none for 64 as there was with version 1.0. Should there have been one or do I just use the 32? Sorry for asking this here instead of the SBU site, but I don't see where to post questions there. Is this because the activation takes a few days to kick in?

Since the 32 msi file looks the same in both versions, should I just copy the 64 msi from 1.0 to 1.1?

Found the introduce yourself topics on SBU. Will try that.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I just joined the SurroundByUs site and downloaded SpecWeb version 1.1. I notice that there is a w_ccompxe_redist_ia32_2013_sp1.0.103.msi file but none for 64 as there was with version 1.0. Should there have been one or do I just use the 32? Sorry for asking this here instead of the SBU site, but I don't see where to post questions there. Is this because the activation takes a few days to kick in?

Since the 32 msi file looks the same in both versions, should I just copy the 64 msi from 1.0 to 1.1?

Found the introduce yourself topics on SBU. Will try that.

Since SpecWewb is a 32 bit program you use the 32 bit msi even on 64 bit OSs. Garry suggested that remove the 64 bit one to avoid confusion. The SpecWeb installer would have installed the 32 bit msi if you didn't already have it but since you had installed SpecWeb 1.0 you were already good to go for the Intel and MS redistributables (unless windows 10 deleted the intel one, as some have reported).

Re SBU discussion of SpecWeb 1.1, if you scroll down to the bottom of the release post, you will find a link to the discussion forum.

Back