SQ Quad on CD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlewis3

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the the Sony Odyssey CD issue of the Mehta Stravinsky Rite of Spring was mastered off an SQ encoded master? I was hoping to have something confirmed on CD confirmed to test decoding with.

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the the Sony Odyssey CD issue of the Mehta Stravinsky Rite of Spring was mastered off an SQ encoded master? I was hoping to have something confirmed on CD confirmed to test decoding with.

AFAIK , it is SQ encoded. I did a dts conversion of the cd using Lucanu's excellent SQ script in AA 2.0.

If you want to listen to it, it's in the mojave blog.

I found the first Masterworks CD issue (prior to the Odyssey cover) and the quad encoding is clear as day. Actually, I should say "can be" clear as day, because I first played it on a BluRay player connected to my Denon receiver via HDMI, and the encoding was there but kinda blah, not so clear and distinct. Then I played it on my still-handy JVC VCR/DVD player which is connected by RCA plugs only, and was blown away by the results. Maybe it's the D/A converters (or lack thereof) that make the difference, but if I want to hear SQ on CD, I'm sticking with older technology. It is what it is.

Back